• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:24 PM

So i did a little work today and restored some glory to the old girl today. So i removed the home made trailer hitch from the back and checked the trans fluid and it was milky and it had this home made dip stick.

DSC_0218_zps22c80df1.jpg

So i found this nos babby on epay.

DSC_0219_zps9b585bf2.jpg

So i proceeded with the fluid and filter change and ran into a stripped drain plug so now i need to locate one.

DSC_0221_zps34793126.jpg

Not 1886 related but i bought a set of chute rods and the gear for my large frame snow caster and they arrived with the gear assembly broken so i fixed that today

DSC_0222_zps3f77d18d.jpg

Edited by JohnWR, July 08, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#17 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 05:59 PM

So finally got some work done to the 1886. I finally replaced the wobbling drive shaft and fan. I am not really happy the back work wobbles a tab bit so i think next i may pull it back out and add a set screw to it.

DSC_0246.JPG

After i finished the drive shaft for today i really installed the 3 Point hitch and test fit everything.

DSC_0249.JPG DSC_0250.JPG DSC_0251.JPG DSC_0252.JPG

I also got my power angle blade back up and moving. I do have a question about the lift arms are they the same length as ones for the 1250-1477 for the 1886 or should they be longer. with my arms adjusted as long as they can go the plow only lifts a few inches but lifts the whole tractor up.

]DSC_0254.JPG DSC_0255.JPG

Here's a pick of the old drive shaft

DSC_0253.JPG

#18 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thats a old factory replacement slip shaft.

The lift arms for the blade are longer for the 1886.

#19 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thats a old factory replacement slip shaft.

The lift arms for the blade are longer for the 1886.

It's ashame that the engine yoke is wallowed due to the key way being gone and the shaft being allowed to move just a bit. I will keep that shaft and maybe at a later date find a new engine side yoke and have the trans side turned on a lathe to fit the fan.

Is there any chance you have the length for each set of rods just for reference.

#20 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 20, 2014 - 10:49 PM

It's ashame that the engine yoke is wallowed due to the key way being gone and the shaft being allowed to move just a bit. I will keep that shaft and maybe at a later date find a new engine side yoke and have the trans side turned on a lathe to fit the fan.

Is there any chance you have the length for each set of rods just for reference.

I think I do I'll look tomorrow.

#21 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 21, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Well i went and got my ebay deal of the year item 12" cat 0 brinly plow. at 1.00 i don't think i made out bad i felt kinda bad he only accepted paypal so i tipped him a 20.

DSC_0274.JPG DSC_0275.JPG DSC_0276.JPG DSC_0277.JPG DSC_0278.JPG DSC_0279.JPG DSC_0280.JPG

Edited by JohnWR, September 21, 2014 - 05:10 PM.

• sacsr, NJKen and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 10:33 AM

John... Glad to hear your'e  enjoying your'e new Bolens...

It has been an interesting thread..   I have the 1477,,, it's little brother,,  but their very simular..  I enjoyed the part with the Ballard  Hitch..  I'm trying to make my own,,, But I think I should have just bought one from them,,and be done with it..

As for the milky hydro fluid,,,  I changed mine a few years back and put Dextron in it..It turned milky pink..  I drained it again and used Ford type F... NO more milky pink froth..

I wish I had the duel hydralics ... Wonder how hard that would be to change it.????  

I may PM you on the balard stuff..       Anyway,,, Enjoy it................................              sodi..

#23 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:33 PM

John... Glad to hear your'e  enjoying your'e new Bolens...

It has been an interesting thread..   I have the 1477,,, it's little brother,,  but their very simular..  I enjoyed the part with the Ballard  Hitch..  I'm trying to make my own,,, But I think I should have just bought one from them,,and be done with it..

As for the milky hydro fluid,,,  I changed mine a few years back and put Dextron in it..It turned milky pink..  I drained it again and used Ford type F... NO more milky pink froth..

I wish I had the duel hydralics ... Wonder how hard that would be to change it.????  

I may PM you on the balard stuff..       Anyway,,, Enjoy it................................              sodi..

Wes over a Ballard was a pleasure to deal with he builds these to order i just happen to get one pre built cause the preson backed out so i kinda got a better deal cause he wanted it gone.

But in 1886 camp i adjusted the PTO lever today. Adjusted pedal location and tightened the pedal up as it had become very sloppy. I also re-ran head light wiring but both my head lights are out so that's another day.

• chieffan said thank you

#24 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I'll have to call him....   I'm going to ask if he can make some parts to finish my 3 pt.  the bent parts to attatch to my lower arms and the rods...   That metal plate is hard to bend... John..???  doe's he have the measurements for the 3 pt. for a bolens.??

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqIOKi!E1yNv1GzJBNiVnrNv2Q~~_3.jpg

Edited by sodisr, September 24, 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#25 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'll have to call him.... I'm going to ask if he can make some parts to finish my 3 pt. the bent parts to attatch to my lower arms and the rods... That metal plate is hard to bend... John..??? doe's he have the measurements for the 3 pt. for a bolens.??

Yes he has these measurements. He told me he has thought about making diy kits for those that can weld he may be able to get you those brakets. I would get his lift arms as well have they adjust to level the hitch.

#26 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:11 PM

So did a little more work today. Changed the oil and filter swapped over to 5w-30 for winter. I also replaced the worn tire rod ends heim joint tie rods and i like them better. So on my quest to whip this 1886 into shape im trying to eliminate the steering slop i replaced the worn joints and tomorrow my new bearing for the top of the steering shaft should be here. This leaves me with the slop in the front axle support. I am planning on buying a pivot pin kit from sam's but it has play front to back is there anyway to eliminate this or should new bushings do this.

• NJKen said thank you

#27 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 05:28 PM

More updates and photos.

Yesterday i drove out to Scranton PA and picked up this snow caster since it's in alot better shape then mine. I also scored a nice set of 26x12-12 and took them to work and filled them 3/4 of the way with washer fluid as it's free at work. With wheel weights about 50 lbs in fluid and 2 link chains i should have no issues this winter getting around with the blower or blade.

DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0287.JPG DSC_0288.JPG DSC_0289.JPG DSC_0290.JPG

• NJKen, Rock farmer and chieffan have said thanks

#28 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 06:58 PM

So, that's a single stage snow caster right?
If you don't mind my asking, what did it cost You?
The only large frame blower I've seen around here was $700!
Not in my league!
I have no idea what these large frame blowers are worth.
That's why I ask.

Thanks
Joe

#29 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:14 PM

So, that's a single stage snow caster right?
If you don't mind my asking, what did it cost You?
The only large frame blower I've seen around here was $700!
Not in my league!
I have no idea what these large frame blowers are worth.
That's why I ask.

Thanks
Joe

No problem i have 2 of these and for both i gave 100 each time.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#30 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 06:29 PM

The large frame single stage typically go for between $150-350 around here depending on condition. I sold one that I completely refurbished, painted etc for $350. I sold another one that was in good working condition for $175. They show up from time to time. If anyone local to NH or Maine has a junker with a good auger I am looking for an auger that is not all worn thin on the edges please let me know.