• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,069 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:08 PM

What would be the results if the lining were to thick?

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,563 Thanks
  • 7,304 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:43 AM

What would be the results if the lining were to thick?

I would have never thought of that but I kind of remember a truck here at work that we got a rebuilt clutch/presser plate that acted like this , I think it was miss matched and another set was needed . Does anyone have the OEM clutch thickness ? Or could the pressure plate fingers be different then originals ? I have a worn out set to check but not sure if that would be of any help . 

#18 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  Just a little more info...  The new clutch plate was purchased from a Crosley parts supplier.  The clutch as a whole was acting the same way before we replaced the clutch plate so that makes me believe that the thickness of the new material is the issue.   My grandpa says he has moved the flywheel in and out to see if that changed anything.  He said at one point you couldn't depress the clutch pedal.  We put in new fingers and the T.O. is new.   The pressure plate is just not traveling far enough to relieve adequate pressure from the clutch plate.   ?????

#19 bubbaj OFFLINE  

bubbaj
  • Member No: 34786
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:15 PM

I'm glad I read through this blog before I asked the same question.  In neutral mine is hard to push and growls like the entire gear drive is engaged.  My suspicions are the clutch, but I am going to get it running first.  To do that I am going to replace the exploded coil I found on it (cracked all around the top).  I've never seen a coil do this - have any of you ever experienced this?

Willy, once I get into the clutch thing I'll let you know what I find.  I need o get into the manual and find out what the clearances are suppose to be.

Tom in Florida

#20 cpower2004@comcast.net OFFLINE  

cpower2004@comcast.net
  • Member No: 88431
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 08:00 AM

I have a 1957 economy s/n 4987. When I push the clutch pedal to the floor the clutch does not disengage. This tractor has no clutch linkage so it appears that the only adjustment I have is to move the flywheel back and forth on the engine shaft. Is this correct? What is the distance between throw out bearing surface and the pressure plate fingers?   Butch----Saraasota  Fla

• classic said thank you

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,888 Thanks
  • 2,152 posts

Posted October 17, 2017 - 12:41 PM

Butch, how much free play is in your clutch pedal? Moving the flywheel on the crankshaft will only increase or decrease the amount of free play. These T92 transmissions are very small, so it doesn't take much friction from somewhere to keep the transmission input shaft spinning with the clutch depressed. I installed a new clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing in an Economy tractor last year. I installed new bearings in the transmission, also. Even with everything in order, you can't just push in the clutch and shift right away without grinding gears. The best method for shifting is to throttle the engine down and hesitate for a few seconds after pushing the clutch in before shifting. I don't grind the gears at all when doing this. Thick transmission fluid helps a lot and acts as a brake of sorts for the transmission gears. There are mechanical issues due to wear or corrosion that can keep the input shaft on the transmission spinning with the clutch depressed. If the clutch disc splines are worn, the disc will wobble on the input shaft and contact the spinning flywheel and pressure plate. If the clutch disc does not move smoothly along the input shaft due to corrosion, the disc may remain in contact with the flywheel with the clutch depressed. If the transmission input shaft bearing is worn and sloppy, along with the pilot bushing in the flywheel, the clutch disc may stay in contact with the flywheel. These transmissions have no synchros, so it adds to the problem of grinding gears. It's worth taking the time to pull the engine and inspect the clutch assembly on these tractors. I've taken a few apart and most need attention to get them back up to snuff.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161008_193419.jpg