Need Clutch Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:08 PM

What would be the results if the lining were to thick?

#17 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,282 Thanks
  • 6,487 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:43 AM

What would be the results if the lining were to thick?

I would have never thought of that but I kind of remember a truck here at work that we got a rebuilt clutch/presser plate that acted like this , I think it was miss matched and another set was needed . Does anyone have the OEM clutch thickness ? Or could the pressure plate fingers be different then originals ? I have a worn out set to check but not sure if that would be of any help . 

#18 willy1094 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  Just a little more info...  The new clutch plate was purchased from a Crosley parts supplier.  The clutch as a whole was acting the same way before we replaced the clutch plate so that makes me believe that the thickness of the new material is the issue.   My grandpa says he has moved the flywheel in and out to see if that changed anything.  He said at one point you couldn't depress the clutch pedal.  We put in new fingers and the T.O. is new.   The pressure plate is just not traveling far enough to relieve adequate pressure from the clutch plate.   ?????

#19 bubbaj OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34786
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 06:15 PM

I'm glad I read through this blog before I asked the same question.  In neutral mine is hard to push and growls like the entire gear drive is engaged.  My suspicions are the clutch, but I am going to get it running first.  To do that I am going to replace the exploded coil I found on it (cracked all around the top).  I've never seen a coil do this - have any of you ever experienced this?

Willy, once I get into the clutch thing I'll let you know what I find.  I need o get into the manual and find out what the clearances are suppose to be.

Tom in Florida