• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hello all, I'm back for more help.  I'm trying to figure out why a clutch is grinding (cluch pushed do the floor and trying to put into gear) on a '74(ish) 1614 powerking.  We put in a new clutch disc, new throwout, new fingers on the pressure plate and tried moving the flywheel in and out but it is still grinding.  If you stand on the clutch the transmission is still engaged enough that, on level ground, the tractor will still try to pull.  I took two plugs out of the bell housing and noticed that the forks are not against the throwout when no one is pushing the clutch.  There is about 1/8" to 1/4" gap.  could that be the cause?  If it is, do you just have the fork for the throwout built back up?  This is on my grandpa's machine so I don't really have any pictures to show you all.  He just traded for a 2418 that is grinding also.  I don't think he has dug into it but I could be the same issue this one is having.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:13 AM

It sounds to me that the linkage needs to be inspected and adjusted. Most clutch problems are because of linkage problems. Find the manual and make sure that it is adjusted correctly. Good Luck, Rick

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:26 AM

The gap is likely too wide, but you definitely DO want some clearance, or the throwout bearing won't last very long spinning the entire time.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like the linkage needs adjusted.

#5 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Sounds like the linkage needs adjusted.

It sounds to me that the linkage needs to be inspected and adjusted. Most clutch problems are because of linkage problems. Find the manual and make sure that it is adjusted correctly. Good Luck, Rick

I'm not sure what you mean.  The clutch forks are pinned.  The only adjustment (I know of) is how far forward or back the flywheel is.?.?  Sorry, I'm still learning.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:46 AM

They mean the linkage adjustment between the pedal & the throwout shaft.

#7 2broke2ride OFFLINE  

2broke2ride
  • Member No: 58083
  • 38 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:34 AM

They mean the linkage adjustment between the pedal & the throwout shaft.

There is no linkage on a power king, there is a shaft through the bellhousing that the fork is pinned to, the shaft comes out the left side of the bell where it bends 90 and then another 90 to form the clutch "pedal" no linkage to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:38 AM

clutch_zpsf4ee36df.png

Here is an exploded view.  I'm not seeing an adjustment. (ETA 2broke responded as I was trying to I guess)

Edited by willy1094, June 28, 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'm not sure what you mean.  The clutch forks are pinned.  The only adjustment (I know of) is how far forward or back the flywheel is.?.?  Sorry, I'm still learning.

We are all still learning. Welcome to real life. Good Luck, Rick

• smokestack76 said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Try reading this manual   http://gardentractor...service-manual/

I am suspecting that something is out of alignment in the clutch or its the wrong part. Good Luck, Rick

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:15 PM

The D series Bush Hog tractor uses basically the same clutch, and they have adjusters, and I just assumed....gets me every time! LOL  Anyway, then I am guessing the pedal is out of travel when she still pulls?  That could mean the part #12 in the diagram may be twisted, which would take away the needed travel.

#12 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:55 PM

The D series Bush Hog tractor uses basically the same clutch, and they have adjusters, and I just assumed....gets me every time! LOL  Anyway, then I am guessing the pedal is out of travel when she still pulls?  That could mean the part #12 in the diagram may be twisted, which would take away the needed travel.

No problem.  I was thinking the same thing, or part #9 has worn where it makes contact with the TO bearing and needs to be built up by someone that is talented at welding.

#13 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 08:13 AM

There should be a lock ring inside of the hole in the center of the flywheel which keeps the flywheel from moving closer to the engine.  I recently ran into one that had a spiral ring inside it that didn't work very well and wouldn't hold the flywheel in place. You should look down inside the slot in the top of the bell housing to see if a belt installed of thehydraulic pump or a belt on the starter generator if it has one is lined up as it should be or if the  flywheel has moved forward to get the belt out of line.  It's number 17 in the diagram.

Maybe the pins that hold the throwout lever no.9 to the clutch shaft no. 12 are sheared.

You need a real heavy oil in the transmission to stop the gears from turning when you push in the clutch. I use straight   STP  and it's not thick enough to stop the gears from spinning  in the summer.

• Alc said thank you

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 04:55 PM

An 1/8 to 1/4" gap sounds about right.Wherabots is the pedal when in gear and you release it,where when the tractor starts to move? I am guessing that you mean the gears are grinding when trying to engage it in gear.It will be more difficult going into gear if a gear or gears are rounded off.Is it difficult in all gears?

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:36 PM

But it still tries to pull when he has the clutch fully depressed, so the clutch is dragging for some reason.