• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 veemaxx OFFLINE  

veemaxx
  • Member No: 59264
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Last year I got my second tractor, a Kubota B3300, my first was a pedal tractor 58 years ago.  I mow about 2 1/2 acres around the house with a 5' rotary cutter which does a good enough for me job but not for the little lady. She actually attempted to mow the place with a 21" push mower, after two days she gave up.  It was fun watching her march back and forth while sipping cold ones with a buddy.

Anyway after a week of thinking about it she asked me if I could teach her how to run the Kubota, I thought a millisecond and said no so that didn't go over to big with her.  Next weekend I picked up this LGT 165 for 350 bucks.  It came with a 50 inch deck and I galvanized pipe ell and cap on the oil drain.  That sure made the oil change easy.  This machine had sat outside for 2 years with a forsale sign at a mechanics shop.  At first he said it was worth $700 but would let it go for $600, then $500, then $400.

It just barely started but I figured it had been sitting for so long the battery was toast, got it home and it wouldn't take a full charge so I got another battery and all was good until I realized the battery wasn't charging.  Thanks to the manuals I found here I was able to track it down to a bad plug-in at the regulator/rectafier.  Ya, runs like a champ.

Is it normal to use 3 plus gallons of gas on a 2 1/2 acre lawn?  The Kubota uses less than a gallon and does it over twice as fast.

Here are some pictures, I know you guys love pics.  I have the cover for the pully on the deck, just left it off to inspect and grease everything.  I don't know for sure what year this machine is but the serial on the engine shows it to be a 79' so I figure a 79' or 80'.  Plan on paint and new decals  and replace one tail light, and redo the wiring otherwise everything works.

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

• tinbender7, boyscout862, Rock farmer and 3 others have said thanks

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 12:38 AM

Welcome to the site, You'll meet a lot of very nice people who know their stuff here.I have 2 Ford lgt 165's and I love mine, They do use some fuel but they will pull a house, I haven't had to unhook a chain yet. I am unsure about the fuel consumption tho, seem a bit high to me I'm sure someone will be able to compare with you. I use one for plowing snow, and the other is in the middle of a mild restoration. Thank's again for the pic's you've got a clean looking Ford

• tinbender7, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 03:02 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 03:52 AM

Welcome to Gttalk!
You got a good deal on a very good tractor there!
I would say your gas consumption seems a bit high.
I notice something odd about your muffler.
It should not be sticking out the grille like that.
Maybe someone put one on that is too small?
That may affect your fuel consumption.

Thanks for the pictures!

Joe
  • tinbender7, TomLGT195, T Guiles and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 04:51 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Good looking 165 you have there. Check the oil for possible gas in it. This has a fuel pump and it may be leaking into the oil, especially after sitting so long. That would increase fuel consumption too.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, Rock farmer and 2 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Great shape . I have one the same. I cut the same amount of grass and I would say two gallons would be good. Sort of depends if its straight going or if your doing a lot of turning around stuff. Noel

Edited by propane1, June 28, 2014 - 05:28 AM.

• tinbender7, Rock farmer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#7 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Looks like a decent buy for the price.. bit surprised at how much rust is visable tho.. the closed sided tractors usually stay fairly clean inside.

Fuel use is not too bad really but with the 50" decks you'll notice quite a differance between dull and sharp blades, and the general condition of the big decks and related bearings is very important.  Mowing with the hydro in low range also improves the fuel usage if you have many hills to climb or when the grass gets a bit high.

I mow about 2.5 acres... I sharpen the blades after every second or third mowing, as the blades get older repeated sharpenings can also make them unbalanced which also reduces effeciency.... which in turn increases the time involved, blades can be re-balance by drilling small holes in the heavier end.  

Someone has changed the muffler but I wouldnt expect that has much of a noticable affect with the fuel consumption unless its considerably smaller than original, like by 1/2 or more, More back pressure usually will equal less fuel up until a point where it begins to rob HP from the engine.

I have both 42" and 50" decks, 10hp gearbox and 14hp hydro tractors, any combination will do 2.5 acres with less than 3 gal fuel but the 10hp/42" combo will do it with about 1.5 gal if everything is kept clean and sharp.

Welcome to GTT;)

Edited by Lance Skene, June 28, 2014 - 05:54 AM.

• skyrydr2, tinbender7, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:05 AM

The other thing might be your brake could be stuck on some. And check the air filter. Noel
  • tinbender7 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:13 AM

That 50" deck with dull blades or set too low will suck up the fuel hard core as Lance said. My 165 has a diesel 3cyl. engine and the 50" deck is hard on fuel!
Oh and welcome to GTT ! You will find a real nice bunch of guys here.
  • tinbender7, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Welcome to gttalk. That's a lot of tractor for 350$. You might also want to check the carb settings to make sure it's not running too rich. It's pretty typical for a gas engine to burn way less fuel than a larger but lightly loaded diesel. That's one of the big bonuses of diesel ownership. 

• tinbender7 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:34 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• Rock farmer said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Welcome to GTT. I agree with the coments above. Especially check for the fuel pump leak, that can take out the engine.

Who is driving? Is she happy with it? Have you delegated the area around the house to her?

Check out our Manuals Section for # free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 28, 2014 - 07:02 AM.

• tinbender7, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 veemaxx OFFLINE  

veemaxx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thank you everyone for the advise, my wife drove it for the first cutting and I didn't sharpen the blades or show her how to adjust the hight so it was very short.  Don't think there is gas in the oil since it didn't smell gassy when I changed it and the air filter could be the culprit.  I tried knocking off the dust before she ran it and thought it looked a little oily.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks wether these things improve the effeciency.

Here are some pics of a happy mower.

013.jpg

019.jpg

014.jpg

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#14 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hard to tell in pics but that looks more like the 42" cutting deck... the frame on them might be about 50" wide tho, and the frame on the 50" cutting deck is actually 60" wide and sticks out about 6" past the left side rear tire,

Good looking action shot tho;)

#15 veemaxx OFFLINE  

veemaxx
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hard to tell in pics but that looks more like the 42" cutting deck... the frame on them might be about 50" wide tho, and the frame on the 50" cutting deck is actually 60" wide and sticks out about 6" past the left side rear tire,

Good looking action shot tho;)

I thought that too till I put a tape on it and it is deffinately a 50

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lgt, lgt 165, no charging