• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Have a JD317 with a noisy engine.  I know a KT17 series 1 is a bad engine and they are known to take out rods. My question is this, What does it sound like when the rod is bad? For example does it  knock or is there no warning. I've got a noise in my 317. It's loudest at idle and sounds more like a loud tick or possibly an exhaust leak rather than a knock. It's not really audible when you rev the engine up. Just wondering if anyone has heard one of these when it's about to toss it's cookies! This engine was supposedly rebuilt by a PO at one point, but I don't know what that involved. It's probably got a lot of hours on it and was used to mow a large property. 

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Any different hot or cold?  Are the valves adjustable like in the K series? If they are try adjusting. I think it may make a difference how the rod is going, worn out, rod bolts come loose or to tight from no oil lube.  Maybe piston slap. Wrist pin worn. Exhaust leak like you say. Try plugging the exhaust and see if noise gets louder. Remember I am not a trained engine mechanic.  Noel

• JDBrian said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:53 PM

Loud tick sounds like valves I don't think there's a lot of lead time with rod it just snaps

• JDBrian and propane1 have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:57 PM

Any different hot or cold?  Are the valves adjustable like in the K series? If they are try adjusting. I think it may make a difference how the rod is going, worn out, rod bolts come loose or to tight from no oil lube.  Maybe piston slap. Wrist pin worn. Exhaust leak like you say. Try plugging the exhaust and see if noise gets louder. Remember I am not a trained engine mechanic.  Noel

I don't think there is much difference hot or cold. I will be checking the valve clearance. I don't think they are adjustable like the K series, which is a really nice serviceable setup. I'll have to look at the service manual to see what's with the valve adjustment. 

• propane1 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 10:35 PM

One of the ticks I've heard was a split piston on a old Kohler single.  Hopefully that's not the case here.

Ben W.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:06 AM

One of the ticks I've heard was a split piston on a old Kohler single.  Hopefully that's not the case here.

Ben W.

I guess this really isn't a fair question. There are so many things that could be wrong. I'm actively looking for a newer Kohler twin to replace it. I'll likely end up having to buy an entire tractor to get one. Not much in the way of used engines for sale around here. 

• superaben and propane1 have said thanks