#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase a '63 110 for $1800. The tractor is apart in boxes and needs put back together. The only things that it's missing is the engine and starter generator cover? Would this be a good price?

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm gonna say no.  I know it's SUPPOSED to be a 63 BUT, do you have any proof that it is?  Do you know what to look for to prove it is authentic?  Personally, I don't think it would be worth it WITH the engine and all put together but that's me.  I take cheap to new heights.

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 12:03 PM

I know it's SUPPOSED to be a 63 BUT, do you have any proof that it is?

It has the serial number plate, fenders, 3 bolt axle. It's also from a good friend of mine and he knows a lot more about John Deeres than I do.

Edited by VintageIronCollector, June 27, 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 12:08 PM

It has the serial number plate, fenders, 3 bolt axle. It's also from a good friend of mine and he knows a lot more about John Deeres than I do.

OK, well that's good anyway.  I would still have a hard time paying that even if it was together and working but, then again, the green seem to live in a different world of which I am not accustomed to.  I never had any green.  Never got to that level.

• zippy1 said thank you

#5 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I never had any green.

Neither have I.

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Probaly not Does it have fiberglass fenders?? that ups the price but still to only what youd want to pay for it

#7 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 02:50 PM

You should be able to get a complete running tractor for a lot less than that.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Sounds pretty high for boxes of parts and no engine. Most people underestimate the amount of time and money it takes to put something like that back together, get it looking decent and repair or replace all the broken, missing and worn out stuff. 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:16 PM

IMO - way to high for a machine in pieces.  That would have a 3 speed transaxle and k161 from the factory.  

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 04:26 PM

A couple things to think about before buying this tractor:

First, yes an original '63 can bring big bucks, but in most cases, it has to be complete, in decent condition, running, and have the original mower deck in order to sell it for high dollar amounts. For the price he's asking, I'd say no to the deal. I know '63 110's are hard to come by, and aren't easily found, but if you want one bad enough, you can find one in better condition for about the same price. 

As for the motor, a K161 7hp Kohler motor can be easily found. There was a lot of different tractor brands that used these same motors. The only difference between some was either a starter compared to a starter/generator, and also the size of the threaded muffler opening. Some K161's used bolt on mufflers with a exhaust hole opening of 3/4". Others, have the screw in type muffler with a 1 1/8" exhaust hole opening. You will want the screw in type muffler.

You'll search a long time to find the correct starter/generator cover. I know some collectors are using the Wheel Horse 7hp K161 starter/generator covers as temporary covers until an original is found, and to most people it can be passed as an original, but to the collector, it will be obvious that is not. Will you have the patience to wait for an original?

What are your plans for the tractor after you buy it? Are you going to restore it and show it, or try to flip it for more money? If you buy it for the price he's asking, are you going to be able to sell the tractor for what it will take to find the correct motor and the starter/generator cover? 

You didn't mention it, but are there any attachments for the tractor? If you want to find an original mower deck for it, there is one listed on ebay right now with a selling price of $1,000.00. Just trying to give you an idea as to what one will cost, if and when you find one. 

You said the tractor is in boxes and needs to be put together. I would be a little nervous putting out that kind of money without having the experience to know for sure if it's complete or to know what hard to find pieces need to be looking for. There are certain pieces that set the '63 110 apart form all of the other 110's, and even though they are interchangeable, the experienced eye will know what isn't original. 

A 1963 110 is a good investment, but you need to find it at a better price than what he wants. I guess my opinion would be to either try and get it a little cheaper or just walk away from the offer. I have (2) 1963 110's, one that is complete, running, and has the original mower deck. The other 110 is in boxes in the garage attic waiting for original parts that weren't included with the deal. However, I gave a whole lot less for this "parts" 110 than you are being offered. 

If it helps, here is a picture of my '63 110 before I put the original motor back in it. If you look at the lift handle on this picture, you'll see the main giveaway for knowing you have a '63 110. All of the other 110's have the lift handle pivot point located lower on the pedestal tower. Good luck on your decision, as I know this won't be an easy one for you.

Miscellaneous Shots 235.JPG

• Trav1s and superaben have said thanks

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Check the classifieds. I think there was someone selling parts from a 63.   :poke:    :smilewink:

• johndeereelfman and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just curious to see how this decision went, did you get it? You can't leave us hanging here? 

#13 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 06:57 PM

Sounds pretty high for boxes of parts and no engine. Most people underestimate the amount of time and money it takes to put something like that back together, get it looking decent and repair or replace all the broken, missing and worn out stuff. 

:ditto:   :ditto:  I am $700 & 50+ hours into a resto on a two wheeler (with 1 gear case and a set of handle bars) before I start on the engine.  Can't imagine where I'd be on a 4 wheel tractor with steering, gear cases, differentials, PTO, sheet metal, etc.  

• JDBrian said thank you

#14 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Just curious to see how this decision went, did you get it? You can't leave us hanging here?

I passed and will still be searching.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 08:06 PM

I know it doesn't help much, but you did make the right decision. Something better will come along. Just be patient and keep your chin up!  :thumbs: