20 replies to this topic

#1 Raspy OFFLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 113
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 01:41 AM

I just got a John Deere model 112 today and I'm really excited about it! Found it at a swap meet and bought it.

But I don't know much about it and maybe you guys can help me out. It has a Kohler engine and four speeds. The trans seems to have a dual range set up like an automatic, sort of, where it will go slower under heavy load and faster under light load, but won't stall the engine no matter what you do. Interesting.

I'd love to know more about the horsepower, the transmission and the approximate year it was made. I can't post any pictures for a few days, but I will later. It is in excellent condition, new rear tires, runs great and even has nice paint. Thanks!

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Congrats,can't wait to see the pics.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:34 AM

They're a nice tractor. You'll enjoy it. There's a couple other guys that have them here.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Congrats on getting your John Deere 112! The tranny setup has the 4 speed Peerless tranny and a " variator" variable speed belt setup. The tranny has the super slow speed 1st gear that you shift from neutal and go into and past 2nd gear to get into 1st gear. The variator handle is on the right side with 4 or 5 settings. The variator has 2 belts with a variable speed pulley inbetween them. Moving the variable speed lever gives you a range of speeds for each gear in the tranny. The linkage for the lever is hooked into the clutch pedal and by pushing down on the pedal you move the variator to the slower positions without changing the actual position of the lever so you can us the clutch pedal to slow you down a bit to say mow around an tree and then let up on the pedal and it will resume what speed you had set. Kind of a neat setup. If you have the tractors serial number I can look up the year it was built. The very first 112's had the round fenders on them, most had the later fender/seat pan. I believe yours would be a 10 horspower Kohler. Have fun with your new tractor!

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:50 AM

The round fender 112's 1966-67 were HH100 Tecumsehs (10 HP). 68-71 "flat fenders used HH 100's with K241 Kohler (10HP) optional, 72-74 used the K301 12HP) Kohler. Electric lift was standard for the 72-74.

67 &74 shown below; ~~ grnspot110

Attached Thumbnails

• GARDEN TRACTORS 023 - Copy.jpg
  • GARDEN TRACTORS 620 (Small).jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Raspy OFFLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Tractormike,
My serial number is 2658481
Type T0011
Kohler Model K301AS

On the dash it says "112 John Deere 12 HP Variable Speed"
On the side it says "Electric Lift"

It seems to be all original and in very good condition. Runs excellent, but may need a slight adjustment on the carb, seems a bit lean when throttling up. No bad bearing or other noises from either the engine or the tranny. It might not be charging. I'll find out today.
It has an intermittent starting problem and I had to jump the solenoid once yesterday. I'll trace that out and am looking at the neutral switch with a wary eye.
The paint is a bit faded but the decals are all there and the seat is OK. Brand new 23/10.50/12 traction tires on the rear. What a big battery! Battery is dated 2008.

I can't believe how well it works! Can't kill it. The trans starts out relatively slow in 4th, but gradually picks up more speed and rolls right along. Then I took it to some steep dirt piles around the place and it would just slow down and dig it's way up in 4th spinning both rear tires. Lot's of power. Seems much more sophisticated and stable in off road conditions than my Bolens G14. This tractor is going to be a lot of fun and very useful around here! Now I need a front and rear blade or a rear box scraper and some wheel weights. The search begins.

I was just minding my own business, yesterday, and spotted it at the car swap meet in Turlock. Seems the owner had brought it down from Oregon. It used to have a mower deck but it "got run over by a big rig", whatever that means. And the trailer went somewhere else. So he was sort of stuck with it and had a business selling other stuff. It was getting a lot of attention and interest at $700. But then it wouldn't start (solenoid would not pull in for some reason) and he got worried. I made a deal and slipped him $400. and went to get my trailer. When I got back it was surrounded with admiring eyes. I pulled out my Swiss Army knife and jumped the solenoid with the screwdriver tip. Everyone wanted to buy it then and I think the seller was not in the best of moods. I told them I just bought it. Then they started making me offers before I even drove it away. Before it got complicated I hopped on, figured out the tranny and drove off to load up. Lots of folks were smiling and making comments. Two cute girls, about 18 thought it was "so cute" and wanted to get their pictures taken while sitting on it. "do you mind?", "thank you", "it's soooo cute", etc.

I managed to get it into the pickup and brought it over the Sierras to Wellington Nevada last night. Had to remove the steering wheel to clear the camper shell. And around midnight I was out, with the headlights on, tooling around the place playing in the dirt and listening to the engine. Climbing dirt piles I had made with my New Holland while building the house, checking gear ratios, adding gas and laughing. Now it's parked right outside the front door waiting for action and something to pull.

Looks like it might snow today and I have to put a new driveshaft in the Dodge this morning. But the Bolens is getting a new drawbar I'm making from stainless and the big wagon is getting an articulating hitch for rough terrain towing. I'm starting on a new towed dump cart made from two moped front wheels and a custom body so my wife can wander the place and do some trimming. She'll love the new JD, if I ever get off of it.

Meanwhile, I gave my Bolens 850 and its rototiller to a friend. So that leaves me with the G14, the 112 and my TC29DA. Looking to trade my Bolens G14 rototiller for a blade or some other implement I can use here in the desert. Once in a while I need to push a bit of snow or some gravel around, clear a bit of brush. The New Holland makes the roads, digs the utility trenches, contours the land and makes the fire breaks, etc.

grnspot110,

Thanks for the pictues of the 112s. I really like that mid mount blade setup! I wonder if I could find one of those? Really useful looking.

Edited by Raspy, January 30, 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the replies!

grnspot110,

Thanks for the pictues of the 112s. I really like that mid mount blade setup! I wonder if I could find one of those? Really useful looking.

I made the blade from a CL find, JD front blade, cut it down to hight, made a mounting bracket that uses the original angle system. JD did have a model 43C & 54C, but they are really hard to find & pretty high $$$ if you find one;

Attached Thumbnails

• GARDEN TRACTORS 622 (Small).jpg

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Raspy, Your 112 with the 12 horse kohler I believe is a 1973 but you have an extra digit in the serial number. The serial numbers for the 1973 model start at 260,001 and go to 300,000. The last 112's were built in 1974. Congrats on your find! That is quite a story of how you came to be it's new owner.

Edited by tractormike, February 04, 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#9 Raspy OFFLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 10:07 PM

tractormike,

Thanks for the info and the comment.

You're right, I had the wrong number of digits. The serial number is 265848 M.

#10 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 01:23 PM

I just picked up a '67 112H.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0754.jpg
  • 100_0755.jpg

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Nice looking JD.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 04:09 PM

A little bit of clean-up and it will be a beautiful machine. How does it run?

#13 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Very sharp! congrats's Wish they had put that kind of seat on the 200 series.

#14 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 10:14 PM

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

#15 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 12:11 PM

I love the look of those RF's looks like a real tractor.