Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Which Oil Grade In 2008 Cub Cadet C175H (Tecumseh Ovh180)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vlopddap OFFLINE  

vlopddap
  • Member No: 58058
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Well, this is my first oil change since I got my used tractor and I'm pretty confused about the best oil grade I must use in the tractor...

In all my other small engine equipment (snow blower and lawn mower) I got recent Briggs & Stratton engines and both recommend to use 5w30 Synthetic oil for all climates (winter/summer). But I just downloaded the owner manual for the Tecumseh OHV180 engine in my Cub Cadet and they recommend to use 5w30 for climate under 40'F and SAE30 only for climate over 40'F . They also tell using multi-viscosity (like the 5w30) over 40'F can damage engine and cause oil consumption.

Capture d’écran 2014-06-26 à 11.23.02.png

I wanted to use fully synthetic automotive oil, what grade should I use? A friend of mine (who is an automotive mechanics) told me to use automotive 10w40 (actually not recommended in the owner manual) or 15w40 synthetic oil in the tractor since I use it only on summer (always over 80'F). Maybe the standard 10w30 synthetic can do the tric? Is that correct?

That's sad because I'll need to keep different oil grade in the garage, one for the tractor and 5w30 synthetic for all my other small engine equipment and also both of my 2 cars that use 5w30 synthetic!!

Thank you for your advice!! 

Edited by vlopddap, June 26, 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Well I never have tried fully synthetic automotive oil. I only use SAE 30 in all my small engines. Back in the day, I worked for a small construction company. I maintained the equipment. Not one issue with SAE 30 and motor longevity. Now the boss always told the workers to check the oil daily, well if a machine needed oil, some of the workers would grab what ever oil was closest (usually 10W40). If I found out about it and changed it right way, no issues. But let that motor run on that oil and in no time we would have a smokey joe. Apparrently small engines run hot and the 10W40 would break down quickly forming a sludge and eat the rings.

Remember the manual does call for SAE 30.

#3 vlopddap OFFLINE  

vlopddap
  • Member No: 58058
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 02:31 PM

In the other hand my friend who is a mechanics told me the SAE30 is a non-detersive oil which leave crap deposit inside the engine after a while which is not good neither. And why did Brigg & Stratton recommend to use 5w30 oil into all their small engines?

Here's the oil chart from Briggs & Stratton... why Tecumseh completely do the opposite??

oil_viscosity_chart.jpg

Edited by vlopddap, June 26, 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 03:05 PM

You can get straight weight oil both ways,non detergent or detergent.I use straight 30 weight detergent oil in most of my  engines.I have also seen a few engines go up in smoke running muti weight oils.

I have used 50wt in the old power king if its 90 degrees out and I'am going to be working it hard and it gets allmost as thin as water after a real workout.

IMO use what the manual says for your engine.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 10:28 AM

I always use sae30 non detergent in all my engines. I haven't had an issue.