OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:33 PM

After a somewhat perilous voyage, we are now safely anchored at the North 340 Campground in Waynesboro, VA.

I didn't post the particulars on my last update, as I really didn't have enough information to make a full report.

The reason we stopped at that particular campground was bit of a problem with the Rainmaker. As we were running across I-64, I stepped on the brakes, and the pedal went almost all the way to the floor! 

Now this was a bit disconcerting, so we found the nearest campground, and cautiously made our way to same.

That was an adventure in itself, and once we get back to home port, I'll post the Dash Cam vid of the final mile of so to get to it.

Anyway it was late so we waited until the next morning to figure out what had happened and what, if anything, we could do.

The first thing I checked was the brake fluid, and found that the reservoir was pretty much empty.

The fella next to me was pulling a trailer and offered to drive me the nearest auto parts store so I could pick up some brake fluid.  Campers are some pretty nice folks, and always willing to offer a helping hand to each other.

I picked up 2 quarts of fluid, "just in case".

After we got back to the campground, I poured most of 1 quart into the reservoir (it's  pretty danged big), started the engine and gave the brakes a few pumps.  I could definitely feel a difference, but it was not normal and the pedal would still go to the floor, albeit much more slowly than previously.

After that I got out looking for leaks, and found a massive one at the right real wheel.  It seems that the seal on the caliper had bit the dust :mad2:

Well, we got to thinking and decided that if we could somehow block off the fluid going to the caliper, we could limp along with just three brakes until we could get it fixed.

Our first thought was the replace the special bolt that holds the 'banjo fitting' to the caliper with just a normal bolt.  The fella running the campground managed to find the right size bolt but it was just a bit long, so we added a nice thick washer and tightened it up.

Well, that did not go well, as fluid was still leaking at a pretty good rate.  I looked closer at the original bolt and noticed the pressed on copper washer.  That definately was needed so that it would seal, so some other solution was going to be necessary. That meant that some good old "Red Neck Engineering" was the order of the day.

That 'special bolt' has a hole drilled through the center, and has a relieved area where another hole is drilled on the side, to allow the brake fluid to travel from the brake line to the caliper.

We took the 'special bolt' back to the shop, and filled the holes with solder, making sure that it flowed through the 'side' hole so that the solder was 'anchored' and wouldn't go anywhere.

The banjo fitting was reinstalled with the modified bolt, and.....while it wasn't totally leak free, it was just a bit of weepege, as I couldn't get in a good position to tighten it as tight as it probably should be. It was we figured, 'good enough' and as long as I keep tabs on the brake fluid level I should be good to go.

Well, this morning it got the acid test.

Right at the exit for the campground there were signs instructing ALL trucks to exit and check their brakes,  Reason being that they were at the top of a 5 mile long 7% grade!

That was also where I would be entering the freeway to make my way to Ben's!

Now, being as how Momma Buzzard didn't raise no fool, as we started down the entrance ramp, I put the 4-way flashers on, put the Rainmaker in 2nd gear, and only tapped the brakes if I got to 50 MPH.

All went well, and we set course for Ben's abode to pickup the forklift.

On the way I called Littledeere (Kenny) and told him about the brake problem, and asked him if it was OK for me to drop off the Earthcavator at Ben's place as that would save me a lot of driving with dodgy brakes.  He said sure, and said that he would try to meet me at Ben's.

We continued on, and to tell the truth the 'missing' brake wasn't much of an issue,

We arrived at Ben's abode around 2:30.  We then went about the business of off loading the cargo for both Ben and Kenny whilst swapping lies and telling tales, while Kenny;s wife visited with Mrs. Buzz.

Loading the forklift was another instance of Red Neck engineering.

It's so limited in ground clearance, and my tailgate ramp on the trailer is fairly short, so it would start up the ramp, but then the weight box would drag, and the tractor wasn't going anywhere.

Eventually, Ben hooked his trailer to one of his tractors, backed it up to an earth ramp, and loaded the forklift onto his trailer.

He then backed his trailer up to the back of my trailer, dropped the ramp, and we drove the fork lift from one to the other :D :D :D.

So, the forklift is safely ensconced on the trailer behind the Rainmaker, and on the morrow, we will be wending out way North with the Port of Xenia Oh being our next port of call.

Further reports to follow.

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 28, 2014 - 08:33 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#17 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,774 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:45 PM

Be careful with that brake problem. I would hate for you to damage the forklift. :dancingbanana:

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#18 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 06:13 AM

Another way that I have used to fix a brake problem like that is to remover the line( rubber or steel) and bend it at a 180. Steel can be flatten and several bends put in it and rubber can be wired so it stays at a 180 degrees. I am glad the everything is going well in spite of the brakes. Please do keep us in the loop.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 07:09 AM

If the line will break loose at the caliper/brake cylinder, the easiest way to block one off is to remove the line from the brake cylinder, slip in a brass rivet with a wide head into the cylinder, then put line back in & tighten.  It will give a positive seal on the rivet till you can fix it proper.

• HDWildBill and pigsitter have said thanks

#20 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 09:17 AM

You're choosing to drive the motorhome, while towing a trailer, without fixing the brakes?!?!?!?
And you know fluid is leaking past the "fix" every time you step on the brake pedal.

You realize it's not just your life you're endangering? You're playing Russian roulette with anybody who's at the bottom of the next hill.

I enjoy following along with the Rainmaker’s trips. I don't want to see anything stop them. More importantly, I don't want to see any harm come to you or your wife. If heaven forbid, an accident were to happen, you would be sued out of existence with what you've admitted here.

Edited by Canawler, June 29, 2014 - 10:15 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#21 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Dang, the pic I posted in the last post up and went away :mad2:

Well anyway here it is.  Sitting snug on the trailer :D :D :D

100_5100.JPG

• MH81, Newpaws493, pigsitter and 1 other said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 05:48 PM

If the line will break loose at the caliper/brake cylinder, the easiest way to block one off is to remove the line from the brake cylinder, slip in a brass rivet with a wide head into the cylinder, then put line back in & tighten.  It will give a positive seal on the rivet till you can fix it proper.

I will say I've never used this blocking method on any road vehicle....just on our wheeled loaders to get us through till we can get parts.  I would use it on a road vehicle, but ONLY to get me to the nearest brake shop.  But then I'm AAA, so I'd just get towed to a shop.  Leaking brakes on the road is scary to say the least.  I had a grain truck blow a line with a 20,000lb load of corn on, but luckily just 2 miles from the corn bin, so came in limping in low gear.  I'd have put it in the ditch before hitting anyone at that slow speed.

#23 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Gentlemen (and use the term loosely :D ) we are parked in a campground in Chillicothe, OH.

We will be staying here for two nights, and then find someplace a bit closer to the sprawling metropolis of Xenia, OH where I'll be attending my 50th HS reunion which is being held on the 4th July weekend.

The passage from Waynesboro, VA to here was uneventful. I'll have to say I was impressed once again by the Triton V10. It was climbing those LONG hills in VA and WV without a problem.  Granted, it did shift down and wind out to around 4500 RPM at times, but it never missed a beat.

I did get a number of folks at the North 340 Campground asking about the forklift, and a couple at the gas station in Waynesboro where we filled the tank to the brim with $3.31/gal gasoline :dancingbanana:

One thing of note is that we stopped at a Tudor's Biscuit World today.  We had been seeing them advertised on our trips down to VA, and always wondered what they were like. At the campground in Beaver, WV where we had the brake problems, the fella setup next to me was a local and I asked him about Tudor's.  He said that they had the best biscuits and gravey that a person could ever eat.

Turns out that is DEFINATELY the case.  Even though it was @ 2;00 in the afternoon when we stopped, the wife and I both ordered the biscuits and gravy. I gotta say, the fella in the campground was right.  Their biscuits and gravey are the food of the gods!

Just for advanced notice, we have made plans to attend the VGTCOA Ohio Regional show in Greenville, OH on the 10th-13th July.  Our plan is to arrive there on Tue the 8th and campout there for the whole week.

Further updates will happen as circumstances dictate :D :D :D

• Newpaws493 and superaben have said thanks

#24 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,305 Thanks
  • 2,339 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 07:01 PM

$3.31 a gallon?

WOW that's cheap.It's $3.85 for regular at Sheetz on the Turn Pike or Just up the road 4 miles from me it's $3.76

Check this crazy gas price map out.Scroll out so you can see the entire US.It's crazy how it's High for some states and really low for others.

http://www.pennsylva...&sid=38330&ft=A

#25 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 03:01 PM

We are in yet another campground for 2 nights.

We could only stay 2 nights at the last one because they had people booked for the 4th weekend.

So we moved on down the road a piece and found a place where we can stay until Fri morn when we will leave for Xenia, which is only 20 miles or so down the road.

We stopped for gas and I was AMAZED that we got 6.8 MPG on the leg from Waynesboro, VA to here!

What with all the LONG grades to climb in VA and WV, I figured that we were going to be in the 4+ range.

• KennyP, UncleWillie and superaben have said thanks

#26 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Sooo was at work thinkin bout it, then read some stuff at home about 'pics and lack of'' and wondered where is the 1886 today, was it comfy, what was the backdrop, was it in the shade, protected from bird droppings, sap etc., I remember the tracking of the Elf as it journeyed toward home...But alas where O where is the 1886 ?

:(  :watch_over_fence:  :hitting_self_roller:   Sorry OB,

#27 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 06:13 PM

The 1886FL is at the Darke County Fairgrounds, where the VGTCOA Ohio Regional show is being held.

It's currently sitting under the awning of the Rainmaker.

From the looks of all of the folks already here, this is gonna be a pretty danged show.

I talked with DougT on the phone, and he said he won't be here until either Wed evening of Thurs morn.

OH, yeah....pic  :D :D :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_5107.JPG

• KennyP, Newpaws493 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#28 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:15 PM

We weighed anchor around 9:00 AM this morning, and set course for the Port of Plain City, OH where the Miami Valley Steam Threshers Association will be having a show on Jul 17-20.

We are stopping in a campground in Enon Oh for today and tomorrow. Need to get some laundry done and get the black/grey water tanks dumped and flushed.

While on the way we spotted a Skyline Chili and the wife and I stopped for a "Skyline Fix".  :D :D :D

I also stopped at a TSC to get a bit bigger muffler for the FL.  The one that's on it is OK, but it sure does have a bark.  Got a bigger one, but will need to have a bit of 'tweaking" done to get it mounted.

Will update later as things develop.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 14, 2014 - 05:16 PM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#29 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 02:03 PM

We are now moored at the docks of  the Miami Valley Steam Threshers show at the Port of Plain City, OH.

Show doesn't officially start until tomorrow, but there are a good number of tractors already here. So far, there don't seem to be all that many GTs. but maybe that will change.

We made a stop on the way here to do something about the muffler on the FL. The one Ben put on WAS better than the one that was on it when I got it, but it still had a pretty loud 'bark' to it.

I stopped in at a TSC, and got a bigger muffler, but needed to have some work done to get it to work.

The fella at the campground suggested a small independent muffler shop, and they fixed me up in short order, and at an almost obscenely low price.

Here are some before and after pics:

100_5100.JPG 100_5230.JPG

It's still not REAL quiet, but quieter than before, and with a bit deeper tone which is easier on the ears than the higher pitched sound it had.

I also replaced the screws and nuts holding on the rubber heat shield by the right foot.  The originals were vibrating loose, so I replaced them with some 8-32 screws and Nylock nuts, I don't think they will loosen up :D :D :D

100_5231.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 16, 2014 - 02:07 PM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#30 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 21, 2014 - 05:14 AM

We are "on the road again"  :driving_tbucket:

Loaded up the forklift late Sun afternoon, and set course towards the Home Port.

We decided to stop at a campground on the way so we could dump the waste tanks and be ready for the next voyage.

My plan is to stop at Worchester's Sales and Service in North Ridgeville, OH on the way back home.  They are the folks that originally owned the forklift, and I want to show them what it looks like now.

Last night however, Mrs. Buzz was looking at a show flier I picked up when I bought some raffle tickets, and it looks like we will be attending a show in Burton, OH this coming weekend.

I'm going to stop at the home port first though to unload the forklift, and load up the HDT1000 and maybe one of the G11's for this show.

So it looks like the voyage has been extended for yet another week :D :D :D

• Rock farmer said thank you