After a somewhat perilous voyage, we are now safely anchored at the North 340 Campground in Waynesboro, VA.
I didn't post the particulars on my last update, as I really didn't have enough information to make a full report.
The reason we stopped at that particular campground was bit of a problem with the Rainmaker. As we were running across I-64, I stepped on the brakes, and the pedal went almost all the way to the floor!
Now this was a bit disconcerting, so we found the nearest campground, and cautiously made our way to same.
That was an adventure in itself, and once we get back to home port, I'll post the Dash Cam vid of the final mile of so to get to it.
Anyway it was late so we waited until the next morning to figure out what had happened and what, if anything, we could do.
The first thing I checked was the brake fluid, and found that the reservoir was pretty much empty.
The fella next to me was pulling a trailer and offered to drive me the nearest auto parts store so I could pick up some brake fluid. Campers are some pretty nice folks, and always willing to offer a helping hand to each other.
I picked up 2 quarts of fluid, "just in case".
After we got back to the campground, I poured most of 1 quart into the reservoir (it's pretty danged big), started the engine and gave the brakes a few pumps. I could definitely feel a difference, but it was not normal and the pedal would still go to the floor, albeit much more slowly than previously.
After that I got out looking for leaks, and found a massive one at the right real wheel. It seems that the seal on the caliper had bit the dust
Well, we got to thinking and decided that if we could somehow block off the fluid going to the caliper, we could limp along with just three brakes until we could get it fixed.
Our first thought was the replace the special bolt that holds the 'banjo fitting' to the caliper with just a normal bolt. The fella running the campground managed to find the right size bolt but it was just a bit long, so we added a nice thick washer and tightened it up.
Well, that did not go well, as fluid was still leaking at a pretty good rate. I looked closer at the original bolt and noticed the pressed on copper washer. That definately was needed so that it would seal, so some other solution was going to be necessary. That meant that some good old "Red Neck Engineering" was the order of the day.
That 'special bolt' has a hole drilled through the center, and has a relieved area where another hole is drilled on the side, to allow the brake fluid to travel from the brake line to the caliper.
We took the 'special bolt' back to the shop, and filled the holes with solder, making sure that it flowed through the 'side' hole so that the solder was 'anchored' and wouldn't go anywhere.
The banjo fitting was reinstalled with the modified bolt, and.....while it wasn't totally leak free, it was just a bit of weepege, as I couldn't get in a good position to tighten it as tight as it probably should be. It was we figured, 'good enough' and as long as I keep tabs on the brake fluid level I should be good to go.
Well, this morning it got the acid test.
Right at the exit for the campground there were signs instructing ALL trucks to exit and check their brakes, Reason being that they were at the top of a 5 mile long 7% grade!
That was also where I would be entering the freeway to make my way to Ben's!
Now, being as how Momma Buzzard didn't raise no fool, as we started down the entrance ramp, I put the 4-way flashers on, put the Rainmaker in 2nd gear, and only tapped the brakes if I got to 50 MPH.
All went well, and we set course for Ben's abode to pickup the forklift.
On the way I called Littledeere (Kenny) and told him about the brake problem, and asked him if it was OK for me to drop off the Earthcavator at Ben's place as that would save me a lot of driving with dodgy brakes. He said sure, and said that he would try to meet me at Ben's.
We continued on, and to tell the truth the 'missing' brake wasn't much of an issue,
We arrived at Ben's abode around 2:30. We then went about the business of off loading the cargo for both Ben and Kenny whilst swapping lies and telling tales, while Kenny;s wife visited with Mrs. Buzz.
Loading the forklift was another instance of Red Neck engineering.
It's so limited in ground clearance, and my tailgate ramp on the trailer is fairly short, so it would start up the ramp, but then the weight box would drag, and the tractor wasn't going anywhere.
Eventually, Ben hooked his trailer to one of his tractors, backed it up to an earth ramp, and loaded the forklift onto his trailer.
He then backed his trailer up to the back of my trailer, dropped the ramp, and we drove the fork lift from one to the other .
So, the forklift is safely ensconced on the trailer behind the Rainmaker, and on the morrow, we will be wending out way North with the Port of Xenia Oh being our next port of call.
Further reports to follow.
Edited by OldBuzzard, June 28, 2014 - 08:33 PM.