Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Look them up on tractordata.com... you can easily tell them apart then

#32 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • Member No: 58994
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Does anybody know if you can add the 3pt option? Is it worth it, or should I stick to one that has it already?

#33 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 08:24 PM

No you can not add a 3pt to that tractor....

and that tiller would not work with a 3pt hitch even if you could add one.... it is NOT a 3pt attachment

To use that tiller you need a Jacobsen built tractor '72-'83.... Jake, Oliver, White, Minnie Moline and Ford LGT... no other options
  • propane1 said thank you

#34 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 03:10 AM

To use that tiller you need a 1972-82 vintage Jacobsen or Ford model LGT because of the mounting and drive system it uses. Any other brand would require such modifications that you could by a new self powered unit for less. Trust me on this one as I have been in your shoes but with an opposite issue... I had the tractor but no tiller. And made a Bolens tiller work on my Ford.. It was a MEGA PROJECT! But now I have a Ford that will run just about anything I want ;-)

#35 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Sorry, I should of been more specific, if I look at a LGT that does not have the 3pt, can it be added or is not worth the trouble. I found a Jacobsen, but it doesn't have the 3pt. The owner doesn't know the model # because it has been repainted. If the 3pt can't be added then it is not worth looking at.

I understand that these tractors don't use a normal 3pt system. I would still consider them 3pt though because they work the same way.

#36 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Please read my thread on this you will see all what I have done. A lot of good info.
http://gardentractor...hitch-by-keith/

#37 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info, looks like more work than its worth to start out.

#38 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 01:12 PM

If you find a tractor that has the upper brackets and rear pto your tiller is a very simple bolt on attachment, no modifications are required but your making it sound complicated by calling it a 3pt... it isnt a 3pt nor does it function like a 3pt... the Jacobsen line did in fact have an optional sleeve hitch and the tiller mount is a variation of that system.... the lower cradle which you already have will bolt directly to any geardrive or hydrostatic tractor built by Jacobsen from '72 thru '83 as long as the rear pto and upper shaft are in tac.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-05-21 17.01.12.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.02.02.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.50.36.jpg

• Rock farmer and ADMhotel have said thanks

#39 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Spot on Lance!! Nice pics of the lower frame mounting. As he said with the correct tractor it is super easy. Hardest part may be finding the pto stuff.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#40 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thank you Lance for the nice pictures. I have a better understanding of the mechanics now. I remember seeing 3pt arms on the some LGT when I did a google search, I think it was ones people had added. On Tractordata.com they said some LGT came with the sleeve hitch and some came with 3pt. What is the difference?  

My other question would be, on your set up what lifts the tiller? Is it the top link or is it the bracket on the right side arm?

#41 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 08:46 PM

On the right side of the tractor there is a 1" by 40"(approx) flat bar that connects the cradle to the lift control, it can be seen in two of the above pics, all tractors have the connection point on the lift control for that flat bar(lift arm), it would be very easy to make the lift arm if needed.

The biggest differance between the two systems is that a 3pt has three individually adjustable link arms, a sleeve hitch has the two lower arms combined to make the cradle so they can not be adjusted individually, differant manufactures have differant ways of adding attachments but the basics remain the same.

Later Fords did have an optional 3pt so you may have seen it... but it wouldnt work with that tiller.

You need to look for the rear pto output and upper shaft which connects to the top link of the tiller... if those parts are missing from a tractor then it will require alot of fab work and not worth your time unless you can fabricate the parts yourself.... and as a metal fab man myself for over 25yrs... I dont recommend it for anything more than the lift arm.
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#42 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 09:16 PM

On the right side of the tractor there is a 1" by 40"(approx) flat bar that connects the cradle to the lift control, it can be seen in two of the above pics, all tractors have the connection point on the lift control for that flat bar(lift arm), it would be very easy to make the lift arm if needed.

The biggest differance between the two systems is that a 3pt has three individually adjustable link arms, a sleeve hitch has the two lower arms combined to make the cradle so they can not be adjusted individually, differant manufactures have differant ways of adding attachments but the basics remain the same.

Later Fords did have an optional 3pt so you may have seen it... but it wouldnt work with that tiller.

You need to look for the rear pto output and upper shaft which connects to the top link of the tiller... if those parts are missing from a tractor then it will require alot of fab work and not worth your time unless you can fabricate the parts yourself.... and as a metal fab man myself for over 25yrs... I dont recommend it for anything more than the lift arm.

All points well made.

That being said, if you aren't concerned about being stock, good working setup can be fabricated with some work,  but as Lance said, you will need some skill. Bracketry is 1/4" plate steel with a lot of drilling, and some bending required. Accurate bending is necessary and/or decent welding and cutting skills.

#43 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 16, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thank you again for all the info, I now have a better idea of what I need to look for.

On my tiller it has the pins mounted for a standard 3pt set up, I think the previous owner added them. I think that is where a lot of my confusion came from. I can pull them off now and use them on a different project.

I am a automotive tech with some metal working tools. I shouldn't have a problem "fixing" a tractor. But if I have to fabricate a lot that would tough.

#44 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 04:42 AM

I dont see any pins on the tiller that would suggest its been modified for a 3 pt... maybe... but it appears to be all oem..

but just for comparison I'll add a couple pics of 3pt hitches... first is my Cub Lo-Boy, a very typical system that has been pretty much The Standard since 3pt hitches first appeared on Ferguson tractors way back in the thirties or forties.... the upper link is the long rod just hanging down the center along side the lift ram... the ram lifts the two lower arms... the top link is fixed on the tractor and is there to adjust the angle and keep the attachment level to the ground as its raised/lowered...

rear.jpg

This is my '74 Columbia garden tractor with the lower horizontal drawbar which is factory... and a vertical drawbar that I made connecting the upper link to the lower drawbar. In the pic you cant see how the two lower arms are independently adjustable... but there is separate lift arms for each under the tractor where that is done. I replaced the original crossed chains with the crossed turnbuckles for quicker attachment swaps. The chains attached to the horizontal drawbar are not factory... its alot smaller than the Lo-Boy but the basic principal is the same...

3pt.jpg

and lastly with the 3pt tiller attached... which Im too old(lazy) to lift manually so I added a winch...

Col_006.JPG

There are variations between brands but a 3pt hitch will always have three independant links joining the tractor to the attachment, and all three are "USUALLY" adjustable although that may not be true for all garden tractor 3pt's

and keep in mind that being an older farm boy my terminoligy may be differant than yours;)

• propane1 said thank you

#45 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:14 PM

After reading all the posts on this topic, which are all great, I want to put in my 2 cents worth about it. I have a LGT 165 with a tiller attachment. I am not an expert on this , but my thing is that the tiller lifts like a 3 point attachment, but dose not have any adjustment on any of the arms,links, but it keeps the attachment level when lifted up and down, unlike a sleeve hitch. The tiller on mine has a 3 point hook up. Two on the bottom, and one on the top. A triangle just like a tractor. All points on the tractor and attachment are movable so it can go up and down. As long as all links are the same length, it will move up and down and keep the attachment level during this movement. Please correct me if I am wrong. I also may have gone off topic of the original question.
The 3 point on a tractor has adjustment, looking from rear, on the right lower link and the top link. MF14 garden tractor , I believe has adjustment on all three links, both lower and top. Don't know what the left lower link adjustment is for on a garden tractor. Noel