• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 ChopRod ONLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Ouch.... $200 was a tad high for a tiller, I bought one for $180, another for $270.... but they both came with tractors

Openside/Closedside are for the most part identical tractors, and yes you can add the rear pto... if you can find or build the parts

Lance,

I missed a 'deal' on a closed side LGT 145 with a low hour tiller. Had a new battery, rebuilt carb and all sheet metal looked nice. Rear ag tires and it had all of the top shaft brackets for the 3pt but no lower arms and the pto. It was 4.5 hrs sw of me in KY. Emailed seller etc and was deliberating making a deal at this distance. Decided to email to buy it and seller emailed said he sold it for $850 which is what I was willing to give. At least it saved me a trip even as seller offered to meet a portion of the way. It was on CL for about 10 days at a $950 asking price. Using SearchTempest to find ads on through CL it appears many of the ads don't last more than a few days to a couple of weeks. Some longer but price is usually out of line. Most are in teh $300 -1000 range. My grandson and I have been running my two OS 145's for the first time to mow yard and horse pasture the last couple of weeks. They mow nice and level. Am really impressed. Just have to get the steering tightened up. Do wish they put the brake on the left though. Two of my five are 1976 models and they are smoother than the ones with the welded crankcases. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks.

#17 ChopRod ONLINE  

ChopRod
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 08:15 PM

The above 145 did have the pto, too. Just for clarity.

#18 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 11:47 AM

Lance,

I missed a 'deal' on a closed side LGT 145 with a low hour tiller. Had a new battery, rebuilt carb and all sheet metal looked nice. Rear ag tires and it had all of the top shaft brackets for the 3pt but no lower arms and the pto. It was 4.5 hrs sw of me in KY. Emailed seller etc and was deliberating making a deal at this distance. Decided to email to buy it and seller emailed said he sold it for $850 which is what I was willing to give. At least it saved me a trip even as seller offered to meet a portion of the way. It was on CL for about 10 days at a $950 asking price. Using SearchTempest to find ads on through CL it appears many of the ads don't last more than a few days to a couple of weeks. Some longer but price is usually out of line. Most are in teh $300 -1000 range. My grandson and I have been running my two OS 145's for the first time to mow yard and horse pasture the last couple of weeks. They mow nice and level. Am really impressed. Just have to get the steering tightened up. Do wish they put the brake on the left though. Two of my five are 1976 models and they are smoother than the ones with the welded crankcases. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks.

Are you saying the '76 models are rubber mounted? I thought that started in '77 with the closed sided models??

4.5 hour drive and $850???... geeze I should start exporting these things to the states.... you guys are way too generous with your money...  I just bought a Ford 2N with 3pt and rear mower for $950... and thats the most Ive paid out for any tractor in the last two years. Considering most of these tractors are built in the states I would have thought they should be cheaper down there... but the prices I hear you guys talking about are always higher than even what I sell them for... but hey if ne1 wants a tractor for $850 I have 5 or 6 right now I\ll gladly sell ya...lol

• T Guiles said thank you

#19 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 01:21 AM

I paid 350 for the ford I use as an icon, It came with a big snow blade and a 48in deck and chains. The ford's do seem to sell quickly and location seems to play a big role in cost. In NY they ask top dollar, but in the end they can only get it if you agree to pay it. I tend to do a lot of riding around looking at people's yard's, and surfing C.L.  

#20 ChopRod ONLINE  

ChopRod
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 03:18 PM

The 76 LGT's I have are not welded to the frame. Bolted to two pieces of flat stock that is welded to the frame rails.

Engine block sits down inside the frame but not rubber mounted like the closed sides. Least dollar amount in my collection was $250 for a closed side with pto and a well used tiller. Quite a smoker but everything works. Folks here are starting to use them more for garden tractor pulling. Plus a lot of people are getting tired of paying $2000 for a new riding mower that is junk in a few years. And, with some of the emission controls on them, they don't always run as good. Cleaner but not as powerful of an engine even with a 25 hp twin on my 'regular' mowing machine 52" deck that works harder on taller grass than the 145- 14 hp with the 50" deck has to! Small tractors are a lot easier to haul than the big ones to shows and can be just as enjoyable. Seems garden tractor collecting is getting bigger all the time. At $250, a lot of them are going for parts. If you don't want to see one go that route, the price is going to be higher, of course. 

Ford 165 LGT 2013 11 30

#21 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 05:59 PM

I paid 250 for my closed side 100, with the tiller and deck. Took about half an hour to get it running.

My closed side 165 cost me $200 I think with no engine. I needed it for the sheet metal and rubber. I swapped out the sheet metal for the ugly sheet and  and dead tires on the 100, and traded the remainder for a open side 165 with no engine, and crappy rubber.

The guy I got the closed side 165 from had a new John Deere with all the bells and whistles, Deck Tiller, Snow blower etc.

Complained about it all the time I was there. Said he was taking it back, and looking for another old Ford. He claimed it was just weak compared to the Ford, and he really wished he hadn't blown the motor in the 165.

Simple fact is, none of the new equipment even comes close to what the old stuff could do.

Edited by Chopperhed, July 11, 2014 - 06:01 PM.

• ChopRod said thank you

#22 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • Member No: 58994
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I put up a CL add like Lance suggested looking for a LGT. I have not had any replies for less than $500. I am not looking for anything pretty and not going to spend that much. Anybody around Central NY have an extra they are looking to sell?

• ChopRod said thank you

#23 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 12, 2014 - 12:16 PM

At first I got alot of calls from people wanting big $$, I say No Thx and try not to insult them..... some have called back a second or even third time as they drop the prices. These days I also have tractors listed for sale in the same ad so they can see what i sell them for, and thats often better looking tractors for less $$ than they want for theirs.

Now that Ive been doing this awhile Ive gotten to know a few collectors around the area and that seems to be helping, we pass off deals to each other or sometimes make trades... I got a running 154 LoBoy in trade for a non running Ford 120($200) and a Gravely walk behind($100).... cant buy a LoBoy around here for less than $1000 usually, but I got one for $300. 

My last purchase was $130.... a fairly clean looking but non running Bolens, a very rough Ford 80, a 60" front blade of unknown origin, and a dump cart with no wheels... I sold the Bolens for $130, the blade for $50, the Ford for a bottle of whiskey... and Im keeping the dump cart(cost $40 for wheels)

• ChopRod said thank you

#24 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:07 AM

I have a line on a 100, going to look at it tonight. The owner didn't give me a lot of information but said that it does not have a 3pt hitch. Is that going to be a problem, can the 3pt be added? Here is a link to the CL ad. http://utica.craigsl...4567387171.html

#25 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:37 AM

Didnt that tiller you bought have a sleeve hitch on it? Im not sure if it would fit the 100 tho.. the pre-LGT tractors had a differant tiller... its huge heavy thing. Seems like a good price on the tractor tho "IF" it doesnt need alot of work to get it running.

#26 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Tiller is a 3pt hitch, thats why I thought it would work on my 4000. Can a 3pt be added or is it not worth my time?

#27 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:09 PM

The tiller pic you posted at the beginning of the thread has a sleeve hitch... the Ford 100 would use a sleeve but Im not sure if its the same as the LGT ones.

#28 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:39 PM

The tiller in your first post is not a sleeve or three point hitch tiller.
It is a proprietary hitch for Jacobsen/ Ford tractors.
The earlier model Jacobsen/Ford tractors, from the sixties, used a different style proprietary hitch.
A three point hitch roto tiller is a much bigger machine.
It is made to work with a large tractor like your Ford 4000.
That tiller pictured would probably just self destruct if you found a way to hitch it to a Ford 4000.

Joe

#29 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I have a line on a 100, going to look at it tonight. The owner didn't give me a lot of information but said that it does not have a 3pt hitch. Is that going to be a problem, can the 3pt be added? Here is a link to the CL ad. http://utica.craigsl...4567387171.html

That tractor cannot run your tiller.
I do not believe that a three point was an option on those older Fords
The tiller You have is shaft driven.
The tiller for that Ford is belt driven.

This is my tiller on my Ford LGT 165 closed side.

1.image.jpg
2.image.jpg

Joe
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#30 ADMhotel OFFLINE  

ADMhotel
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:02 PM

So you guys think that the one from the ad is an older Ford 100? The owner didn't know if it was a LGT so that makes sense.

How are you able to tell if it is an older one, how would I know? I didn't end up making the trip, raining and it is about a 45 min drive so unless I know it would work, I don't have a lot of extra time.