• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ah1988 OFFLINE  

ah1988
  • Member No: 59365
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:33 PM

I previously owned a muarry 13.5hp manual trans. mower before it burnt up due to the carb flooding the crankcase with gas. I went out and purchased this JD hydro 175 with the 14hp Kawasaki engine, I bought it because it was hydro and I have a lot of trees and obstacles on my property so I thought it would be less effort to maneuver. I was really disappointed with the hydro trans it felt really weak compared to the manual, until I decided to hook up my boat trailer to it. My old mower would not budge the trailer but the new JD moves it fairly easily, it weights around 1200 lbs and has a tongue weight of about 300lbs.. My question is will I hurt the JD moving this trailer around my yard? Am I going to shred the trans ? Is my JD 175 hydro considered a lawn tractor or garden tractor? I am new to this hydro trans and I don’t want to screw the mower up moving the boat trailer. I have a fairly small back yard and moving the trailer around with my ext. cab dually can be tricky. So if I can safely do it with the JD it will make life much easier for me.

• tinbender7 and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:44 PM

welcome to the forum. I have a JD 165 and I enjoy using it. They are considered a lawn tractor. I have never tried to pull anything with it as I have 4 garden tractors that I use for any heavy pulling. What part of Fla are you in.

• Gabriel and ah1988 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:47 PM

If it pulls it, the hydro will be fine if done for short distances. Heat is the cause of most hydro failures. If the area is flat, you should be fine. Just take it slow.

If the hydro feels sluggish, I suggest an oil change on the hydro and the rear end.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. The 175 would be classed as a lawn tractor. That said it's built better than most of the LTs that are out there in box stores today.  I would be concerned that 300lbs may be too much weight on the axle and also that much weight on the back may make the front end light causing problems steering, particularly if driving up hill or backing down.  You may also have trouble stopping that much weight if it ever got rolling down a hill. As far as the transmission goes, I would not pull that trailer for long periods of time or when the transmission was already hot from extended use. A hydrostatic transmission is self limiting in the amount of torque it will put out but will overheat if loaded heavily for extended periods. 

#5 ah1988 OFFLINE  

ah1988
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Wow thanks for the quick responses!

I am in Deltona its in-between orlando and Daytona beach, nice to see someone with a ford fetish too, I want a ford 3n or a compact diesel really bad; just getting ready to go to college cant really take that with me lol.

I just recently changed the cooling fan which was a major pita, and I also changed the oil I replaced the

old oil with regular motor oil 5w30. It just seems sluggish compared to the manual so I guess it probably ok, Im guessing its like comparing a manual car to a auto car, manual always feels like there is more power. This is the first

hydro lawn tractor I have ever used so I dont have anything to compare it too. The trailer would be short distance literally only 50-75ft. of backing it into its cubby hole; I am literally just slowly creeping it into its hole all flat ground.

*** I could keep the trailer jack down and use it to bear most of the tounge weight when moving the trailer, but it may just act like a plow .. I'll just have to see.

I am impressed with the little 14hp motor being able to drive the tractor 600lbs + me 200lbs and then the 1200lbs trailer without bogging down.

Edited by ah1988, June 25, 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 10:03 PM

WELCOME!

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:01 AM

A hydro usually has a damper on the go pedal to slow down the response and prevent jerking or wheel spin etc. That can make it feel slow to respond.  Are you sure the tongue weight would be that high? Typically, it is more like 10-15% of the total weight.

#8 ah1988 OFFLINE  

ah1988
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 07:22 AM

A hydro usually has a damper on the go pedal to slow down the response and prevent jerking or wheel spin etc. That can make it feel slow to respond.  Are you sure the tongue weight would be that high? Typically, it is more like 10-15% of the total weight.

Yea, it is that heavy I placed a bathroom scale under the jack and it read around 345lbs. This trailer is really a jon boat trailer modified to become a canoe trailer. I am a hack welder and made it as strong as I could, I came into a lot of heavy scrap around the time of the build and my mother said either use it or get rid of it sooo it pretty much all went into the trailer; overkill is my name lol. Part of the problem is the rear axle sits really far back because it was a trailer for a 14ft. jon boat so the tounge weight isnt really what its suppose to be, because the trailer wasnt meant for that. I could probably manuver the trailer by hand if it didnt have such a heavy tounge; I already have back problems dont need them getting any worse.

• JDBrian said thank you

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Welcome.  I hope you get some good use out of your 175.  I'm glad you got some quick responses with good answers.  I'm glad you joined.

• Gabriel said thank you

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:19 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• Gabriel said thank you

#11 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Yea, it is that heavy I placed a bathroom scale under the jack and it read around 345lbs. This trailer is really a jon boat trailer modified to become a canoe trailer. I am a hack welder and made it as strong as I could, I came into a lot of heavy scrap around the time of the build and my mother said either use it or get rid of it sooo it pretty much all went into the trailer; overkill is my name lol. Part of the problem is the rear axle sits really far back because it was a trailer for a 14ft. jon boat so the tounge weight isnt really what its suppose to be, because the trailer wasnt meant for that. I could probably manuver the trailer by hand if it didnt have such a heavy tounge; I already have back problems dont need them getting any worse.

If weight is a problem make yourself a trailer dolly to hook to your gt---then the weight would be on the dolly and not on the tractor

Bill