Dead Short?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 threehole700 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59362
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hey all, newbie here. I have a problem with my old Johnny and I am hoping to find some help. 1989 185 lawn tractor with the 17 hp Kawasaki. Something is drawing the battery so dead the pto will shut off while mowing and then shortly after the engine will die. Hook it up to the truck with jumper cables and it takes right off and the pto will engage the deck and it will mow for 10-15 minutes before dieing again. Could it be the pto itself or possibly a voltage regulator or maybe the starter? I'm more of a nuts and bolts guy and kind of a dummy when it comes to electrical testers, ohms meters and the like. Anyone ever experienced this?

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,521 Thanks
  • 4,177 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the tractor in question but I'd put my money on the charging system not working. You should have somewhere in the area of 14v at the battery with it running. Think more along the lines of regulator or stator. Hopefully some of the JD guys will be along to give you better testing advice.

• Trav1s and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 threehole700 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59362
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks DougT. I am a member on a snowmobile forum as well as a GM truck forum and an ATV forum, I've learned a lot of things and made some good friends on those forums, so I did a search for one like this and here I am. I bought my John Deere brand new and have always babied it even though its mowed almost 2 acres once a week for 25 yrs. I also just inherited a 1964 110 after my father passed last winter which he had owned since new, It's a restoration project I plan on starting this winter, so I will probably be visiting here often with questions and maybe showing off my project. For now I need to get this charging problem sorted.

• Trav1s, WHdbJD and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:20 PM

I'am with DougT on this one    :iagree:

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:24 PM

I agree, sounds like a charging issue.
Do you have a digital volt meter?

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,647 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:31 PM

I think I would check the connections first, check not only at the battery but also where they connect to the tractor.  Make sure the connections are clean and corrosion free.  As suggested check to see if you are getting around 14 volts at the batter while it is running.  Do you have to jump it off after it has been sitting a while?

By the way welcome to GTtalk.

• Trav1s said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sounds like a charging issue to me, too.

Ben W.

#8 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,326 Thanks
  • 8,680 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thank goodness, he's a GM guy. Everyone put the torches and pitchforks away, it's okay.

How long are you putting the cables on for? How old is the battery?

• Bill 76 said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. The battery may be giving up on you, or it's not being charged.  The 185 is a very well made lawn tractor. You have gotten good service from it mowing 2 acres for 25 years. 

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,487 Thanks
  • 7,359 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Welcome to GTT. It does sound like a charging problem. My JD111 does exactly the same. I know that I need to fix the stator when I get the time.

Test the voltage across the battery with it running. If the voltage is less than 13, the charging system isn't working. Shut it  down. Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. Charge the battery. Put a test light between the terminal and the cable. If it lights, you have a short. It could be a short that caused the charging problem. Look for a wire that has rubbed its insulation off against the steel of the tractor.

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 26, 2014 - 05:55 AM.