#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I'm looking forward to the finished product too :thumbs: Wished that guy doing the work would hurry up and get it done :D

Yes, my wife wants to get away from the carpet if just the fact it get dirty easy with us and 3 dogs and it holds a lot of allergens, allergies will be bad enough when I fire up the wood burning stove this winter. She loves hardwood too anyway. It will definitely change the look of the house! It's a 105 yrs old, she wants to get back to that old farmhouse look.

Edited by TAHOE, July 02, 2014 - 01:14 PM.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 06:25 AM

i'm beginning to think I would rather do drywall than this, it's kicking my butt. I worked for 3 hours last night trying to get up next to the walls sanded, using a palm sander, corner sander, and  3x21 belt sander.....I only got 2 1/2 walls done  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Paper keeps clogging quickly with the old varnish.

There was at one time an inside corner bead on baseboards, well someone painted them years ago.....along with about a 1" strip on the floors  :shoot2:  :shoot2:  :mad2:

Up at 5 am this morning, getting off early, dentist appnmt, then off to sand, probably be about a 17 hr work day  :hitting_self_roller:

on an up note, I found some stain, was able to wipe my wood filler then lightly sand. Not a perfect match, but won't stand out like the bright white color of the plain filler, it will now blend in some.

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Well, rented two sanders after work Thurs, spent 6 hours Thurs night, 10 hours Friday sanding then swept and wiped all floors down with a mineral spirits soaked rag. Saturday morning was a final tack and first coat went down. 24 hr later, Sunday after got a sanding with 180 grit, swept, wiped down, tacked and #2 coat. Final coat will go down tonight.

I think they are gonna look very nice. We still have the lighter color wood around the outside and some scratches, but wife loves it and just gives the old farmhouse charm and character. once the furniture and some area rugs go down, no one will notice.

All said and done I have ...

$124 in sander rental/paper

$160 in polyurethane

$50 or so in various supplies.

40+ hours of labor

Not bad for finishing over 500 square foot of flooring. A lot cheaper than lying new flooring or carpet, that would've been $1500 on the low side to who knows how high for top end floor or carpet and it is original floor to house and adds character. 

I was dreaded sanding, but rented these two puppies, drum sander and edge sander...the edge sander was the cat's meow, man it saved a lot of time.

floor sander.jpg

floor sander 2.jpg

Few pics of ready for first coat. 

FLOOR SANDED FINAL.jpg

FLOOR SANDED FINAL 2.jpg

FLOOR SANDED FINAL 3.jpg

once quicky after first coat. I only remember to take pics right after I coat it so it's too wet. 

FLOOR FIRST COAT.jpg

• gopher and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,840 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Beautiful!!!!

• TAHOE said thank you

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Beautiful!!!!

I got 3rd coat down last night. Hope to be able to take some better daylight pics....it turned out pretty well, almost looks like glass.

A couple spots I am not happy with I must've brushed against the stairs carpet and got some lint in a large spot, but once we start walking on it, furniture, rugs, dogs, it probably won't matter.  :D

I had to hand sand on my knees last night, the pole sander I use for drywall just didn't get it done; sanding, then wipe down, then tacked, all on my knees, they were numb by the time I was done. I only had hard knee pads, figured they would scratch the floor up too bad. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:02 AM

....and finally!!!!

There are some flaws in finish I may try to see if I can sand and polish like auto clear coat, but overall they look great. 

floor finished.jpg

floor finished 2.jpg

floor finished 3.jpg

floor finished 4.jpg

this is my favorite pic....

floor finished 5.jpg

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Wow! That looks great! Must feel good to see the final results. I have to redo mine, probably next year. It's a total of 1300 sq ft as the whole house except bathrooms and front entrance is hardwood. It's 18 years old so it's getting pretty worn in high traffic areas.

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yea, being done feels good. After knowing what I started with, they look reeaaalllll good and i happy with the results! 

I can now say I have finished hardwood floors and got the shirt, well, no shirt, :D   but they next time they ever get done again, I will be paying someone, I doubt in 15-20 yrs my knees would let me do what I had to do with this. 

I did right around 500 Sq feet in these two rooms. I found out it extends into kitchen too, but that has 3/4" particle board, Luan with linoleum, 1/4" cement board and tile with cabinets all on top of that. Doubt it will ever get finished like this. 

#24 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,840 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted July 09, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Almost makes you hate to walk on it, doesn't it?

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Almost makes you hate to walk on it, doesn't it?

Yep. My mom comes home from Florida today, told her she she wasn't allowed to walk on them HAHA. It will be 3 days of drying so she should be good.

While I am replying......Question, what do you all use under your furniture legs/tables, etc when you put them on hardwood? 

I was going to just buy some of those sticky felt pads for under furniture. 

#26 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,840 Thanks
  • 3,190 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 10:41 AM

I grew up with hardwood floors, and those are what my mother used. She changed them every year or so in the dining room as I recall, and as the quality of the newer products went down she would stick two together for better protection. Socs, bare feet or slippers in the house, no shoes allowed on the hardwood!

• TAHOE said thank you