coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 07:43 PM

The wifey wanted to extend the flower bed next to the house today. I broke out the rotary plow and the L8. This was the first time I got to use the two together. I started plowing up the bed and made about 4 passes. Hunny Bunny was watching and wanted to try, so I let her. The first row she was a little intimidated but by the time she was at the end of it she was acting like a pro. She went ahead and made several more passes and had a smile on her face when she was done. I am so proud of all 120lbs of her.

Edit: After reading the post she had to remind me that she only had to be shown once on the levers and the PTO.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2214.jpg
  • DSCF2217.jpg
  • DSCF2216.jpg
  • DSCF2215.jpg
  • DSCF2212.jpg
  • DSCF2213.jpg

Edited by coldone, January 29, 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Fantastic! Sounds like another member of the family on the way to Rusty Iron Addiction.

Looks like a job well done too!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 08:00 PM

Atta Girl. That is awesome that she wanted to participate and enjoyed it. Where are yas from? Looks like you had a warmer day to enjoy.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 08:20 PM

That's great that she is interested in that.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Lucky You! My wife just looks at me with that "Yeah...Right" look on her face and says "That's OK, you're doing just fine!"

#6 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:04 AM

You're a Lucky Guy, she looks like a Pro allready! That Gravely Rotary Plow is incredible, rips up the earth like an eggbeater! It's the one implement that i wish David Bradley would of made.
I kinda think the reason why most of us give our tractors Girls Names is just so we can think we have some female companionship while we're working! Great Pics & tractor, thanks for sharing.

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:20 AM

COLDONE, good pics of great gal and great machine. As a young man I made good summer money running a Gravely with one of the rotary plows. Tilled a lot of large gardens.

Had a guy about two years ago tell me he tried to plow garden with his Dad"s rotary, and it dam near got him down. I went over to look at it, he didn't realize that it had a set of gauge wheels that he did not know to put on. He was trying to use it without them.

Question: is there any difference in the gearbox mounting between say the L8 and the later, newer machines?I have a gear box and plow, but I would like a later model machine. And a sulkey !!!!!

Thanks for pics, and would like to see more.

Regards, George

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 12:18 PM

George,
I am no gravely expert by any means, I only have 2 of them and thats the only two I have seen personally. It is my understanding that any of the bolt on implements that have the 4 bolts will fit any gravely walkbehind as long as the tractor is not outfitted with the "Quickhitch". The Quick hitch can be identified by its long horn/cone out front of the machine. The machines that have the kohlers, briggs should be able to handle your plow. If you want to go high tech, get a rider with the front mount and use any of the implements you have.

Hope this helps

I would get more pics but i am usually using the L8 myself while she is keeping the kids entertained. They are still knda on the smallish side to be around these things.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 12:30 PM

COLDONE, good pics of great gal and great machine. As a young man I made good summer money running a Gravely with one of the rotary plows. Tilled a lot of large gardens.

Had a guy about two years ago tell me he tried to plow garden with his Dad"s rotary, and it dam near got him down. I went over to look at it, he didn't realize that it had a set of gauge wheels that he did not know to put on. He was trying to use it without them.

Question: is there any difference in the gearbox mounting between say the L8 and the later, newer machines?I have a gear box and plow, but I would like a later model machine. And a sulkey !!!!!

Thanks for pics, and would like to see more.

Regards, George

George, I found a couple rotary plows at a small engine repair shop this. Do you ned one, they appear to be in great shape. I will try to buy them, if I can.

#10 Sunnfun OFFLINE  

Sunnfun

• Member No: 2340
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 10:34 AM

The wifey wanted to extend the flower bed next to the house today. I broke out the rotary plow and the L8. This was the first time I got to use the two together. I started plowing up the bed and made about 4 passes. Hunny Bunny was watching and wanted to try, so I let her. The first row she was a little intimidated but by the time she was at the end of it she was acting like a pro. She went ahead and made several more passes and had a smile on her face when she was done. I am so proud of all 120lbs of her.

Edit: After reading the post she had to remind me that she only had to be shown once on the levers and the PTO.

Great looking machine. I have a 65 L8 with the same set up but have not had a need to use it. May just rip up a patch to see it work.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:07 PM

there is no need to have a need. Plow it and they will come and plant it. Have fun :D

#12 whspioneer89 OFFLINE  

whspioneer89

• Member No: 2598
  • 17 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Wow, your wife lets you tell how much she weighs and plays with your toys? Does she have a single sister?? lol