• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 stetson OFFLINE  

stetson
  • Member No: 59357
  • 46 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 02:00 PM

Oh dont worry both are gonna get used very well i am fastly learning there is alot of possibilities with these little guys already with attachments and power.... i think ill rebuild the h14 for mowing around the house even tho i own several mowers already and the 1253 kind of inspires me as far as gardening goes so it may just beome my little garden tractor. my h14's motor isnt doing so well and may not come back to life does anyone suggest a motor upgrade possibly a diesel?? i have good contacts with parts salesmen since i am a detroit, volvo,and prevost mechanic so I can get ahold of motors pretty easily if i knew the right choice to make.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#17 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 04:49 PM

Wow awesome you want to get both going. The hydro is great for mowing because you can go around stuff forward and backward with just the pedal instead of having to shift and clutch. I've used the old Briggs twin L head engines as a replacement but you need to lengthen the hood and make some little motor mounts. I have an 18HP '1556' that I did. I love it. I think the old Kohlers and Wisconsin engines have the same footprint and the HH Tech motor that is in there now. Lots of possibilities for sure.

#18 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Do have my first question my 1253 I bought the guy before me decided to Get a, little tanked and go pop wheelies in it well the battery fell into a pulley and leaked acid down onto clutch just found this out does anyone think there is a chance of saving the clutch or should I just buy a new one and where can I, locate one would be my next question.... when you press clutch in it doesn't do, anything but you can jam it in gear not something I wish, to do of course....

Sounds like the clutch yoke needs adjusting or that the pin grooves are worn. This is common.

If the clutch surface material was eaten away or worn you wouldn't have friction to turn the plate/shaft assembly and the tractor wouldn't move.

I'll see if I can find my pics of when I redid my clutch to show you what I mean.

#19 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Don't worry about finding parts.

One of these fine folks will have what you need:

http://gardentractor...arden-tractors/

http://gardentractor...-tractor-parts/

http://gardentractor...parts-supplies/

All three are great guys to deal with, and will treat you fairly.

#20 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:33 PM

This is from another tubeframe, 850. The clutch works the same way on yours.

Bolens 850 clutch 001.jpg

The 2 square pieces surrounding the yoke has a slot in the middle for the yoke pins (one near the bottom in the pic). They wear and get out, causing the clutch not to disengage. They can be weld filled (built up but not closed) and then filed flat again.

Hope that helps.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#21 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 10:36 AM

:welcome: There's definately enough room for a few more Bolens! Get comfy, there's alot to see and learn round here.

A MEN..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Welcome...