case 444 briggs repower

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spdweb.net OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59356
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Alright.. Just finished installing a Briggs 18hp in my Case 444.  Runs great.. mows like a champ.  A few odds and ends that need finished.. figured I would find a forum and post them for some ideas. 

The #1 thing on my mind.  The engine is now bolted directly to the frame.  I have seen this done in many pictures of repowered Case tractors but the reason this bothers me is because I know the frame does have a certain amount of flex..I would hate to fatigue the bottom of the engine and end up cracking the crank case over time.  

The repower kit I bought did come with a solid mounting plate but it raised the engine about an inch off the frame and there was not enough room under the hydraulic reservoir for the pump.  I could have raised the reservoir, but that would raise the battery, then I would have to raise the hood.. thats a big snowball.   Anyway.. I may possibly be able to squeeze some rubber bushings in between the frame and the engine to give it a small bit of free movement.  The supplied plate was solid but would still offer a great deal of flex vs. directly bolted to the frame rails. 

The second issue is the hot air from the engine cooling now blows directly on the firewall, and also my legs.  The hydraulic tank is damn near boiling after an hour of mower.. and so are my legs.  I am thinking about making a heat shield that stands off about 1/2" from the existing one (which contacts the hydraulic tank).  The new shield would extend slightly past the sides of the center console which would keep the air off my legs as well.  

The other option would be to fabricate some air diverts that attache to the engine its self and direct the air out the sides.  A shield would probably work just as well..  

Of course the other OTHER option would be to spin the engine around and drive the pump off the flywheel.. hmmm 

Anyway.. if anyone has gone through this and fixed these things or has any ideas I would love to hear them! 

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 569 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 03:48 PM

For mounting pucks old Ski-Doo singles used hard rubber pads about 1/4" thick the holes are offset you can see them here http://www.spaulding...lid=&modelyear=

May work for you...?

What happened to your K321?

#3 spdweb.net OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59356
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:12 PM

Those pucks would work. I have about 1/4 " to work with for room. It will be ok the way it is for now.. a new mounting system will be a winter project.

As for the heat shield... That is a necessary.. some stainless dimond plate will do nicely. With some testing I have found that a plate that sticks out only 2" from the side of the console keeps the hot air off the driver. Could even make them removable because that hot air would be welcome while blowing snow in the winter.

The K321 still runs... And actually runs very well. It was rebuilt about 10 years ago.. I put a new walbro on it 2 years ago.. but it has now developed mean piston slap. It had slight piston slap when I bought it.. only under no load.. but last summer after using the tractor to dig out 16" of dirt to level a pool installation.. the engine was plum worn out. Knocks all the time when it's warm. It's definitely the piston rattling in the bore. Looked at rebuilding it.. but after the machine work to the block, and probably a new crank it wasn't worth it.

I have not had any good luck with Kohler.. this is the second Kohler I have had go south.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case, 444, briggs, repower