#16 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14544
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:36 AM

ok, for an ecu part, go to the auto parts store, and tell them:

"I would like a 4 pin Dodge/Chrysler ignition “ECU” box from a 1983 pickup truck (example Dodge D-150 with 318 v8) – and the 2 pin ballast resistor that goes with it."

otherwise you could scour some local wrecking yard for the module with a wiring plug end, ballast resistor with terminals, and any other kind of wire you might need   :smilewink:

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Not sure of numbers, but you can use any mid Chrysler or van from the early to mid 70's. I think when I was researching, I used a  73 or 74 dodge van

here is one from Advance auto that would work. I like the one though you used inthe pics, it looks like it's more sealed.

http://shop.advancea...*14923|L2*15032

• mopargoob said thank you

#18 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 07:31 PM

YUP!!!   :ok:

#19 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 08:57 AM

Last night I ran the first major test of the ignition. 

Started up and ran great, and cut the whole yard, backyard, etc. without even 1 misfire.

the engine sounded and ran like it was brand new.

tall matted grass, whatever, it sounded like it never got into the governor more than about 5%.

now I gotta mount everything and tie it up nice..... :shoot2:

• sacsr said thank you

#20 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 174 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Excuse my ignorance of Tecumseh (I avoid them like a plague), but what on the flywheel is triggering your sensor on the flywheel for firing position?  Is there a notch or something cut in the flywheel?

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Excuse my ignorance of Tecumseh (I avoid them like a plague), but what on the flywheel is triggering your sensor on the flywheel for firing position?  Is there a notch or something cut in the flywheel?

two pins are mounted in the flywheel that trigger the SSI module. The longer one is for low rpm/start up, then the shorter one becomes the advance timing trigger. The module uses the Hall Effect as it's triggered by the pins passing. The flywheel has the magnets mounted inside and as the pass around the stator, a charge is created which energizes the module

100_0846.jpg

My magnets came unglued from flywheel and stuck to stator.

ssicoil.jpg

tec-ign.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, July 02, 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#22 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 174 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I see said the blind man.  So this setup is only triggering off of the startup pin, since it is taller? 

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 01:09 PM

I see said the blind man.  So this setup is only triggering off of the startup pin, since it is taller? 

I would believe Mopargoob's ABS sensor reacts with the same Hall effect thus using both pins. Once the flywheel spins faster, it automatically switches to using the short pin and giving advance spark. I think the motor may run pretty back if it fired off the TDC tall pin at high rpm as it would actually be firing a little late in relation to positon of piston.

If you look at the conversion link in my sig, I have a totally different type switch and use a magnet glued inthe flywheel to trigger it. I use the advance position only with no problems other than I have to spin motor a few revs before firing coil and I have to idle down slower or I get backfiring.

#24 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 174 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Interesting.  Maybe I need to get down off my high horse and buy something with a dead Tecumseh to try this.  My family has had nothing but bad luck with Tecumseh powered equipment going back 3 generations, it is in our blood I guess.  I understand how yours works, but I am trying to wrap my head around his.  I have an automotive background, and it seems like his system would only read the tall pin, since it is closest to the sensor.  Those sensors are touchy about air gap.  I am glad it works, but I just have to wrap my head around the timing issue.

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,008 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 03:10 PM

I don't understand it all either, but from what I read, at low rpm's the sensor in the tip of the module pics up that tall pin due to smaller gap. As the rpm's increase, that gap needs to be larger to get a proper signal and voltage to cuase the module to trip and fire. 

In my conversion, I just use a magnet inthe advance mode and it trips a small switch inside my trigger to fire coil.

In the mopar's conversion, the Chrysler box is used to control that signal from the snesor and trip coil.

The following is from Ed Stoller's Engines and magnet website. He is describing a little about how his conversion works in relation to the sensor he makes and the pins. He mentions all the factors related to his homemade snesors, which has been taken in to account on over the counter premade ones, like an ABS sensor.

"When the tall trigger pin passes the magnet, a voltage is generated which provides a timing pulse to the Control Module which causes a spark. The magnitude of the voltage and thus the transition form the TDC, starting spark to the advanced spark is determined by, the strength and direction of the magnet, the diode, the dimension of the spool, the number of turns of wire in the coil, the air gap , the RPM and somewhat on the battery voltage. Since the air gap for the short trigger pin is much wider, the critical voltage for spark advance is not reached until a higher RPM."

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,980 Thanks
  • 28,938 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 04:51 PM

The tall pi is the SECOND pin to go by the pickup. At low RPM's, the short pin is ignored...but at higher RPM's. the larger flux field from the faster passing short pin triggers the spark and doesn't have time to recover before the second pin passes.

Ingenious, really. Shame the CDI design wasn't designed as well.

#27 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 03:45 PM

more info regarding pickup coils and sensors for flywheel,  I did some research and found that the factory pickup coils were ok if they measured between 150 and 900 ohms resistance.  the average of which is 525.  I used a sensor that measured around 600 ohms and it worked ok...  

also, I keep remembering more details of what I did.   the pins on the flywheel, I think I read on one of the many discussions of this subject  to grind the tall pin even with the lower one,  ( if it kicks back, turn ign on after it is at cranking speed ).

well, i did this and it doesnt kick back or misfire or anything, it just flat runs great.

• MH81 said thank you

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,980 Thanks
  • 28,938 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:36 PM

Did you happen to remember the part number of the pickup?

#29 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 05:14 PM

see post # 15 in this topic, otherwise, it can be any 2 wire magnetically inductive pickup with a coil resistance from 150 to 900 ohms.

• MH81 said thank you

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,980 Thanks
  • 28,938 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 05:15 PM