• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• Member No: 7112
  • 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I haven't used my 1556 much since winter but I got it out to pull some things  out today and found oil blowing out the breather tube.  What would cause this other than needing rebuilt?  It ran great all winter plowing snow and used little oil.  Still starts right up.  Where should I start looking for the problem?  I have never had a Tecumseh OHV before so I am kind of lost.  Any help is very much appreciated.   Bryan

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Most of the cast iron OH Tecumsehs do blow a little oil as they age.  Usually the reason is that the breather is clogged or the oil is too thin (wrong viscosity).  A rebuild usually fixes it, but check simple things first. 

Is your fuel pump hooked up?  The crankcase pressure does matter, and if that line isn't hooked up strange things do happen.  My OH140 in one of my tractors will blow oil all over the place from the top of the valve cover if the fuel pump line isn't hooked up. 

Ben W.

• PappyH, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Check the oil level too. A fuel pump can leak gas into the crankcase too. This will cause the oil to be overfull and too thin.

• PappyH and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Will check the fuel line today and the fuel pump.

#5 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Finally found time to look at this again today. The fuel pump line to the  crankcase was kind of bad so I  replaced it but still have the oil problem.  It is blowing out a lot now.  Will it do any good to try a compression test or does this motor have a compression release?  Thanks, Bryan