Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Have Any Of Those Disk Things On The Drive Shaft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have a A/C 916H that I am going to repower with a newer style 18hp Kohler OHV engine but my drive shaft is missing the disk things that go on either end of the drive shaft.

If there is another way to do this without the little disk things please let me know.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Those are some times called "Rag Joints" and should be in line. You must have the ends to use on the engine and rear-end also. Basically they are a flex joint that allows some mis-alignment, from mounting or twisting of tractor when in use, and vibration dampners for engine and trans connections. PLUS, that is how you disconnect those things with-out a major movement of rear or engine to get it out. AND, can be a place to tear loose if something should lock up in rear or engine to keep damaging the rest of tractor drive. Lots of makers used them, can't be much diff between them wouldn't think. Cub dealers might still have or Agco from Massey models. Not sure what Deere had, might check.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Rubber coupling, OEM are hard to find in good shape, i updated mines to the fiberglass ones, the conversion kit can be bought at Sandy Lakes Imp., Brenda will take care of you.

• KennyP, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Deere used fiberglass disks on the drive shaft of the 314 and I'm thinking the 312 but don't have a 312 so can't be sure. There are 4 of them used, 2 stacked together on each end of the shaft. If you have a local driveline supplier check with them. They may have something that will help.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,498 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:54 AM

Those are some times called "Rag Joints" and should be in line. You must have the ends to use on the engine and rear-end also. Basically they are a flex joint that allows some mis-alignment, from mounting or twisting of tractor when in use, and vibration dampners for engine and trans connections. PLUS, that is how you disconnect those things with-out a major movement of rear or engine to get it out. AND, can be a place to tear loose if something should lock up in rear or engine to keep damaging the rest of tractor drive. Lots of makers used them, can't be much diff between them wouldn't think. Cub dealers might still have or Agco from Massey models. Not sure what Deere had, might check.

GL, the Allis uses the fiberglass 'disc', not a 'rag joint'. I'm not sure if the rubber ones would fit in place of the original 'discs'.