• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • Member No: 58132
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Does anyone have a k90 for sale in running/working order. Would be used on my bolens super versamatic, thanks let me know .jim

#2 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:13 PM

What's all wrong with the one on the tractor?

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:38 PM

That can be a hard thing to lay grubby hands on.  What kind of crankshaft do you need?  Straight keyed?  Gear reduction?

Ben W.

#4 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:50 PM

That can be a hard thing to lay grubby hands on.  What kind of crankshaft do you need?  Straight keyed?  Gear reduction?

Ben W.

Straight and keyed. Versa-matics didn't have a gear reduction. 

#5 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:01 PM

What's all wrong with the one on the tractor?

I brought the k 90 to a small engine guy, he said it would be cheaper to find another one in running condition. Not sure what is all wrong.
  • superaben said thank you

#6 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Straight and keyed. Versa-matics didn't have a gear reduction.

Straight keyed,no reduction gearing

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I would ask for a little more information on the failure(s) or problems with the engine.
The K90 I was exposed to had an experimental Bosch ignition system. I think they are NLA and possibly expensive when you do find one. The K91 is a similar engine with more standardized parts. If you have to look for one, you might consider it as an option. I was told the tins would exchange too, but I dont know for sure.
  • jgtools said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I brought the k 90 to a small engine guy, he said it would be cheaper to find another one in running condition. Not sure what is all wrong.

I'd be asking questions if I was you.  Some of these small engine guys see an oldie like a K90 and they want to run and hide. 

I sell rebuild kits for them, and it is absolutely something you could do yourself, too.  Ignition parts can be a bear, but you can convert it to a later style ignition unit, too.  It should have a Phelon or Scintilla/Bosch magneto from my understanding.  You can still get parts for both units.

Ben W.

• MH81, GTTinkerer and jgtools have said thanks

#9 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 09:57 PM

hi all, have not had a lot of time to work on this lately, i did pick the engine up from small engine mechanic, it was obvious,he wanted nothing to do with this old engine. with that said, I went to work , and removed  the flywheel, the flywheel did come off, but it cracked during removal, also i found that one of the magnets was broke, and that was the noise i was hearing when i would crank the engine over.   so , who can sell me  the following :   condensor  , points,  flywheel w/magnets.   let me know. thanks Jim.

dont laugh to hard, but I had no way to test coil, so i decided to have wife pull the engine over , while I hand held the plug wire, yup, it bites hard.     not sure why points or plug have absolutely no spark, when juice is obvious flowing thru plug wire.?? 

• superaben said thank you

#10 jgtools OFFLINE  

jgtools
  • 5 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 10:03 PM

after i cleaned things up bertter, the magnets look good, the broken piece looks to be a piece of casting,?  not sure  its not a magnet at all, not sure how the piece got there

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 04:56 AM

hi all, have not had a lot of time to work on this lately, i did pick the engine up from small engine mechanic, it was obvious,he wanted nothing to do with this old engine. with that said, I went to work , and removed  the flywheel, the flywheel did come off, but it cracked during removal, also i found that one of the magnets was broke, and that was the noise i was hearing when i would crank the engine over.   so , who can sell me  the following :   condensor  , points,  flywheel w/magnets.   let me know. thanks Jim.

dont laugh to hard, but I had no way to test coil, so i decided to have wife pull the engine over , while I hand held the plug wire, yup, it bites hard.     not sure why points or plug have absolutely no spark, when juice is obvious flowing thru plug wire.?? 

It may be the spark plug is grounding out internally, try another.

• jgtools said thank you

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 11:24 AM

I can sell you an ignition tester that can tell you whether or not you have spark or weak spark . May be better than shocking yourself :D

They start around $13 then go up depending how fancy of one you want.

• GTTinkerer, Lauber1, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 08:01 PM

I have the condenser and points in stock.

Ben W.