Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snapper With A Screech

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'm working on a re-engine Snapper model #30127BE that has a B&S 12 HP engine 3 281707-0162-01. It had been sitting out in the weather for a little over a year.  When I got it fuel would just flood the carburetor and there was gas in the oil.  So I rebuilt the carburetor, changed the oil and got it running.  It was kind of hard starting so I decided to check and see what condition the flywheel and coil were in so I pulled the engine tin.  Sure enough a lot of rust so I cleaned it all up reset the coil gap and put it all back together. 

That's when the fun began.  Cranked it up and after about 3-5 min's of running a high pitched screech started coming from the engine.  Got it shut down and noticed the starter rope was hanging out a bit.  Took the tin back off and found the spring for the pull starter was loose.  So I took that all apart cleaned it and put it back together.  Everything seems to be good but fire the engine up and you get that screech.  Take the tin off and no Screech so it has something to do with the pull starter but I can't see anything wrong with it except for a slight kink in the spring.

I don't have very much experience with Snappers so any help would be appreciated.

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:14 PM

The ratchet for the recoil is dirty and possibly rusty.  take it apart and clean the ratchet balls and make sure there is a felt in the top of there.  [looking up from the bottom once removed - the felt sits right on the top end of the crankshaft]

Oil that felt and you'll be back in business.

GOOD LUCK!!

DO NOT oil the ratchet balls themselves - they need to be clean and dry.

Edited by Gtractor, June 24, 2014 - 03:16 PM.

• Alc, IamSherwood, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:25 PM

I've had it happen too. Gtractor is right. Polish the crank area that goes into the recoil too. The area may have been damaged when it was screeching. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Oil will work for a While but the heat from the engine and dirt will dry up the grease or Oil.

If you get it cleaned up real good I would put Dry Graphite in it.I've done this on many recoil start briggs engines with 100% success.And it lasts a very long time.

It has a flash point of 700+ degrees F and won't break down like Grease or Oil.

Here's the stuff that I have been using.It's a bit messy but does an Awesome job.

1WVK9_AS01.JPG

It's around $8 at autozone or $5 at Napa.

• DougT, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Well I took the ratchet apart cleaned it up, there wasn't as much rust as I had expected but there was a fair about of what looked like dried grease.  I put some dry lubricant on the felt pad and put it all back together and about 4 min's running it started screeching again.  I did notice that when I put the balls back in (that don't sound right! :smilewink: ) that a couple of them would try to go in between the inner and outer part.  Could it be worn to badly?  I did notice some wear marks but they didn't look to bad to me. 

Also the Screeching seem to happen on accel.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:13 PM

The top part could be a bit sloppy on the crank.It will wobble and try to gauld up.

Take the top back off and sand the crank part with some medium grit sand paper.Make it shine before you put any Lube back on it.Then Coat the shaft with a fairly thick layer of lube and try it again.Put some Heavy grease on it if you think it's worn a bit.Just make sure there is Zero Oil or Grease anywhere near your Balls. :bigrofl:

I like the dry Graphite powder because you can literally just dump it in and not have to worry about the balls sticking if some gets inside the clutch. 

Is the Felt plug still up in the end? If you can see daylight through the hole in the end then it's not.Briggs recommends 30 wt engine oil to be soaked into the felt stopper but I've never had much luck just Oiling them.Especially if they are a bit worn.

I had a couple briggs recoils squeal on Push mowers even after replacing the recoil clutch assembly with a NEW one.On those engines the Cranks were slightly bent.Easy fix on a push mower.Find where it's bent and Whack it with a hammer a couple times. 

Edited by EricFromPa, June 24, 2014 - 11:32 PM.

• Gtractor, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Also check to make sure someone hasn't beat the end of the crankshaft trying to get the flywheel off and discombobulated it out of shape.  If there is a burr on the crank end or if its distorted in any way that could be working against you. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Yes the pad is in place and I put quite a bit of the dry lube one it.  I didn't pull the ratchet off the crank, I just pop the cap off and took it apart with it still installed.  Does it make any difference? 

I have to work on the wife's car today, before I'm sleeping on the sofa.  So I'll have to put this off till tomorrow.