• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:37 AM

Has anyone here ever removed the valve seats or guides on a K321? Did you have to use special tools, or is there another way that works just fine?

Also, when you installed the new valve guides, did you have to ream them out? The K321 service manual says that the guides can slightly compress during installation, so they have to be reamed out to the recommended specification.

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 480 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:19 AM

I'll be interested in the responses you get on this.  I have the same questions on a K341.

• Gabriel said thank you

#3 superiorpower OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have rebuilt my share of Kohler K-series in my day. As I recall, that kind of work we always took to a machine shop though.  

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 03:24 PM

When I worked it an engine shop we would mill em out on the head machine and pound in a new one--For the guilds get an expanable reamer,Enco has them and they not to pricey,get one made in USA ,it will last much longer.Then your going to have to grind the new seat cus the guild and seat might not be concentric with each other.All very easy IF you have the right machines.If you take it to a shop have your new parts with you ,it will be cheaper then having them try to hunt them down.. 

I have seen hack jobs come in with a nut welded on em to try and pull em out and some ground on with a die grinder which now made the hole oversized-----this allways meant the price just went up.

If your going to ream the guilds youself just remenber never turn a reamer backwards,it will dull it real quick and an expanable one will snap like a candy stick.

There might be ways of doing this at home but I don't think you could make it dead nuts on like a shop could.

IMO take it to a shop and it should be as good if not better then new.

• Gabriel said thank you