• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:30 AM

I am considering purchasing a Jacobson/Ford 165 in good shape.  What are people's thoughts about the quality and reliability of the 165?  Are there weak areas of the tractor.  Common problems?  Are parts available? 

I don't know year built.  All I can go on is the motor's serial number.

The motor's serial number is 9094628

Thank you in a advance.

Tom

• T Guiles said thank you

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Hi Tom,
That is my all around favorite tractor.
The engine number you provide would seem to indicate a later closed side model.
Weak points are the plastic dash and tunnel cover. Ross steering boxes may need to be re-built.
And front axels can break or bend. I think all parts are readily available except mufflers.
Seats, PTO switches lights are things that may need to be replaced.

Mower decks came in two sizes 42" and 50". Sometimes they are missing the belt cover.
Check the engine rubber mounts.
Snowblowers came in single and two stage verities. 42"

That tractor would have a spin on hydro filter. The older canister type filters are pricey!

The toughest thing about these tractors is finding accessories like rear pto, tillers, snowblowers, plows, sleeve hitches and three point hitches. And the elusive "Ford" script hub caps!

Joe
  • Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:03 AM

The serial is for a 1978 engine, so it is a closed side. Rock farmer pretty well spelled it out. I have a '77. I like mine, even though it still has a canister filter for the hydro.

• tinbender7 and ChopRod have said thanks

#4 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Great!  Thanks.  The tractor I am looking at has some front end problems.  The left side steering axel seems like it is stripped.  The clamp I believe needs to be tightened.  Although maybe it is signs of larger problems?  Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• ford.jpg

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:21 AM

That spindle could be stripped, it's hard to say. You'd have to take it apart to see the extent of the wear. Used parts should be available for those tractors through our site sponsors. If you can, jack up the front end and check the wheel bearings, axle pivot and spindles for wear. The steering can be a very pricey rebuild on any of these tractors. A lot depends on the level of maintenance it got throughout it's life. Many times these older tractors get used hard and not maintained as they are considered worthless by their owners, until they decide to sell them of course.

• Alc, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:41 AM

Great!  Thanks.  The tractor I am looking at has some front end problems.  The left side steering axel seems like it is stripped.  The clamp I believe needs to be tightened.  Although maybe it is signs of larger problems?  Thoughts?

Hmmmm? A Ford tractor with Jacobsen Orange steering arm and wheel? Maybe parts have been changed here! The arm should have a roll pin through, not a bolt to tighten.

Ford Steering axle parts.jpeg

Ford Steering axle parts2.jpeg

• Alc, Rock farmer, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:01 AM

it is a jacobson that has had steering work in the past.  fixable or not?  or how much would a new part cost?

#8 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:16 AM

I just went through this with the left spindle on my 165.  It is available new, for $275!  After two attempts to fix my broken one, I had a local machine shop make a new one using the old bracket.  I am in the process of putting in together now.  You do not have the correct steering arm, you may have to source the correct one or adapt that one better.

• tom tractor said thank you

#9 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Sprint 6 -do you have a photo of yours?

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:32 AM

The orange rim would indicate an older front end.
Maybe from the sixties? Can you get us a picture of the whole thing?

Joe
The tractor should look like this;
image.jpg

Edited by Rock farmer, June 24, 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#11 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • 182 Thanks
  • 194 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:06 AM

that is exactly what it looks like

#12 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:19 AM

I don't have a picture of the remade axle/knuckle as of yet, I have been wanting to post a picture of it to let others know it can be done.

#13 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:50 AM

I have 2 ford lgt 165's, I love mine. As Joe stated attachment's are few and far between, but they are out there. I guess that's part of the fun for me, hunting down parts and pieces. One I work almost daily, the other is getting a slow Redneck restoration. Good luck with your choice   Todd

#14 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Im heavily involved with the openside LGTs so there are some differances but they are mostly cosmetic. Around here alot of ppl 'think' they are rare and hard to find, ask alot of $$ for them if/when they go up for sale.... BUT

I took out a wanted ad on kijiji about a year ago... Ive since bought 5 ford tractors, most $$ was $300 and drove it into the trailer, decks and/or tillers on most every one of them, although snowblowers seem a little harder to find at a decent price.

If it has front end issues look for signs of it having a fel on it in the past... alot of ppl like to add them but imo these are not a heavy enough tractor for a fel and the front end is the first to go if its been overworked.

"IF" its cheap, and you take out an ad looking for parts tractors you can fix them up nicely with minimum $$$. but even in mint restored condition with attachments they are only worth up to $1000 or so so dont overspend.

Biggest advantage the Jacobsen line has is the easy of swapping attachments, I have or have had Bolens, Cub Cadets, MTD and Sears... they are all a major pita IMO. Im old and lazy... I like my Ford LGTs.

Edited by Lance Skene, June 24, 2014 - 01:06 PM.

• ChopRod and tom tractor have said thanks

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:53 PM

I have a lgt 165 and used year round. As mentioned front end loader and snowblowers are hard on the front end.  Have broken the steering box twice, left front spindle once and broke the drag link.  But are good machines, we have to remember the age of these tractors.  Would have loved to own one when they were new. Noel   Just my opinion.   

• TomLGT195 and tom tractor have said thanks