• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • Member No: 36604
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ok the long and short story is this (model #917.28861), a 2013 Sears GT6000 "tight turn", was driven by my wife.  She wanted to help cut the grass...harmless enough right???  Yeah, not so much.  My wife thought it best to cut the ditch in front of our house going across it diagonally and turned the wheel in the ditch line and the front left wheel turned perpendicular and coming to a stop before I picked the front of the tractor up and took pressure off that wheel.

Now the drag link "wobbles" so much that it will now hit against the electric clutch.  The other draglink on the right side doesn't "wobble" as much but it does have play in it.  The part that I am talking about is part #61 in the parts diagram for this tractor.

Before I order this drag link---is there anything else she could have messed up AND is my diagnose with the drag link a correct one in your opinion?

Thanks for any input...I swear my wife could break an anvil if I left her with it long enough. 

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:57 PM

It sound like the link should be replaced, if it hits against the pto clutch it could knock it out of adjustment and stay engaged.

The link could also wear out the wheel bearings, you might be able to straighten/bend the link back into shape and get away with it for a while.

• Puttinalong said thank you

#3 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, the link doesn't look bent, where they connect with the ball just appears to have excessive amount of play...kind of like the pivot parts will allow it to swing back and forth if that gives a better idea.  Thanks for the response.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:18 PM

You might also look at the front axel. It's a good chance that the entire issue isn't one issue, but cumulative of many little problems.

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, the link doesn't look bent, where they connect with the ball just appears to have excessive amount of play...kind of like the pivot parts will allow it to swing back and forth if that gives a better idea.  Thanks for the response.

Sounds like the pivot end is bent alowing the link to flop around, the pivots connect to both sides of the wheel spindles, you might check the other one also and see if it needs replacing.

You might also look at the front axel. It's a good chance that the entire issue isn't one issue, but cumulative of many little problems.

Yes, im thinking the same.

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Is it a cast iron axle or a stamped, welded together type. Could have bent the axle changing the caster and camber of the king pin if not the cast iron type axle. Just an idea , Noel.
  • trowel and Puttinalong have said thanks

#7 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Noel....it is a cast iron front axle.  I'll pull the tractor out and try to inspect it a little better this evening...I was so ticked I couldn't see straight yesterday.  I didn't notice anything else bent out of whack.  Will report back with my findings.  Thanks to all for your expertise.

• Alc, trowel and propane1 have said thanks

#8 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Okay all I inspected it and it appears that the ball connections on the link have the edges with much wear, I am assuming where it was so extended while the wheel was perpendicular to the culprit on the driver's seat.  So that brings my next question...the rear connection on the drag link to the steering plate seems to be hard to get off and the wrench just wants to round off on it...so I was thinking of taking a hacksaw and cutting the ball portion of it off so I can get vice grips on it since there isn't much clearance to get a bigger wrench on the fitting.  I didn't see where a bolt was on top of the steering plate on the rear as it is on the pivot plate on the steering.  Ideas???  Thank you all for your patience.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Is this your steering system?image.jpg image.jpg
  • Alc said thank you

#10 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 03:30 AM

Is this your steering system?attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

That is correct sir, part # 61 is the part that you can move back and forth as if in a swinging motion on two points like a hammock would do.  It doesn't really swing by itself it just has a lot of play going side to side.  I will try to take a pic this evening when I get home to show what I perceive to be damage to it. The ball socket portion of it had a rubber covering over it, but I tore that off to look underneath at the socket.

Edited by Puttinalong, June 25, 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:55 AM

Yes, the dust boot to keep the dirt and dust out of the pivot.

Take pictures of both ends of the link.

#12 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Thanks to all, I finally got mad enough to fix it the hard way and I feel like I am dumb as the day is long.  After manhandling the rear link connection loose, I finally learned the proper procedures for replacing the drag link.  If I had simply slowed down and removed the steering plate I would have realized that the top of the steering plate contains a plastic piece that covers the top nut for the drag link and I could have simply removed that...I am getting older and if I knew I would not dislocate my knee, I'd kick my ownself in the butt for not taking my time before.  Thanks to all and sorry for wasting your time. :wallbanging:

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 06:24 AM

No time wasted, good to know what was going on.
All part of the collective learning process.
  • trowel said thank you

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 10, 2014 - 06:06 PM

No time wasted, good to know what was going on.
All part of the collective learning process.

:ditto: you should not be so hard on yourself, we all had to start someweres, every day we learn something new.

Ask away and we will advise as best as we can.