• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 562 Thanks
  • 696 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:13 AM

The BCS is a hot ticket for market gardeners around here and really has taken off, lots of people are still using the first series from the late 80's and really like the versatility of the tractor, powered by the dependable Honda engine it is hard to beat, i am a sentiments with the walk behinds but BCS is the way to go for newer walk behinds now that Troy Built is now just a name and nothing more.

From looking at things I would say a BCS or Grillo would be a much better gardening machine than the Gravely.  Just more options when it comes to attachments and the ability to not drive/walk over your work. 

• trowel said thank you

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:01 PM

It really does seem like it, the one thing a Gravley does not have that i really liked about the BCS is being able to rotate the handle bar 360 and drive in ''reverse''.

Many of the Market Farmers around here replaced the Troy Bilts with the BCS.

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Walk behinds in general seem to be much more plentiful in Northern states. The fuel economy, utility, versatility, and ease of transporting is just hard to beat on walk behinds.

It really is, my main mower was a walk behind, drive onto the back of a light utility truck, it saw at least 4 engines 4 axle bushings, drive tran rebuild and mowed 3 different properties every year, could split the mow deck from the tractor frame and store it in the corner of the barn with the mow deck on edge.

It still mows very good, regrettably it must be retired from years of service.

I think the high concentration of the steady supply of walk behinds here is due to the short rocky market gardens and fields dotting the mountain sides and the valleys were as were you are it is all flat and open with heavy gumbo clay.

• Alc said thank you

#19 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 562 Thanks
  • 696 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Honestly I think the current BCS/ Grillo price structure isn't all that bad for a walkbehind, it certainly is much better than when Gravely tried to bring back their 2 wheel sales with the rebadged Swiss made Rapid brand, that pricing structure killed their market from the get go, it was plain insane to think anyone would buy a walkbehind tractor without attachments that cost as much as/more than an X530/540 JD for the smaller machine and X7 series JD for the mid size.  In any case a new quality 2 wheeler with attachments will be spendy for sure considering some attachments will be as or more expensive as similar 4 wheel counterparts.

Either the larger BCS 852/853 or Grillo 107D machines would make a lifetime machine capable of continuous multi season tasks for the average smaller property owner in my opinion, the only "complaint" I think I would have with one would be that the PTO is not "live" near as I can determine. If I understand correctly the transmission internals are lifetime warranty to the original owner.  The attachments for the European machines are "semi" generic, unlike Gravely stuff which sounds beneficial to me.

• Alc, trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,820 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 05:02 AM

Js5020, you really know your stuff regarding BCS, there is a 720 with the broom attachment and several tillers for sale near me on CL right now, this one caught my eye, older one, not sure what make the engine is : http://hudsonvalley....4515172825.html

Yeah, it was sad to see the Gravley re-branded tractors, it was a flop, Honda was marketing their roto tillers at the time, granted it was not as versatile as a walk behind but at least it was dependable for garden work.

A gripe of mines is the lack of small air cooled diesels, i re-powered my mower with a Yanmar and it cut the fuel cost in half and most of the time i ran the engine at 2500 to 3000 rpms, only problem is Yanmars won't start in the cold, too small a bore, even with the extra high compression, Hatzs and Lister Petters will but the smallest engines they make are wayyy too big.

• Alc said thank you

#21 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 562 Thanks
  • 696 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:29 AM

If you go to Earthtools in KY (yes they regularly ship machines)  they have diesels available for most models in either the BCS or Grillo brands, they use Kohler diesels (Kohler bought out Lambardini).  If you go to the earthtool site there is a lot of info and some explaination on why earthtools doesn't like the Yanmar diesel option.  If you ask me Earthtools BCS/Grillo IS the authority when it comes to these tractors and attachments.  They have attachments outside of BCS/Grillo also.

The smaller BCS/ Grillo machines don't have a differential or steer brakes, however they do have racheting hubs available which does allow easier turns than a locked axle.  Don't overlook the Grillo brand, good machine just not as well known as the BCS but just as capable for a few bux less!

http://earthtoolsbcs.com/index.html

Edited by js5020, June 26, 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 562 Thanks
  • 696 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Js5020, you really know your stuff regarding BCS, there is a 720 with the broom attachment and several tillers for sale near me on CL right now, this one caught my eye, older one, not sure what make the engine is : http://hudsonvalley....4515172825.html

Yeah, it was sad to see the Gravley re-branded tractors, it was a flop, Honda was marketing their roto tillers at the time, granted it was not as versatile as a walk behind but at least it was dependable for garden work.

A gripe of mines is the lack of small air cooled diesels, i re-powered my mower with a Yanmar and it cut the fuel cost in half and most of the time i ran the engine at 2500 to 3000 rpms, only problem is Yanmars won't start in the cold, too small a bore, even with the extra high compression, Hatzs and Lister Petters will but the smallest engines they make are wayyy too big.

That machine has an ACME engine, far as I know there are parts available through BCS, but you likely will not run down to the local small engine shop for them.

• trowel said thank you