21 replies to this topic

#1 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 04:20 PM

I was lucky enough to get these tractors and attachments today. All of a sudden my stable of walk-behinds is getting close to the number of ride-ons I own!

WP_20140623_0051.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Very nice haul there!!  If these are your first Gravelys, you'll find that they are absolute beasts at heavy duty yard and garden chores.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:12 PM

One of the most over built walk behind garden tractor ever put on the market, many are still using them daily.

Nice haul !!

• sacsr and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Good looking bunch ya got there.

There's a guy down the road from me that has 4 old Gravelys 1 snow blower 2 tillers 2 brush hogs 1 scully 1 sickle mower and 2 have dual wheels,sitting in the weeds but refuses to sell them.Skip forward 12 years and They are still there and looking pretty bad now.Tires are all rotted off and they're all rusted up but I still want to try to save them.

Must be the Addiction I have to anything with a small engine on it.But I really want them  :rolling:

Edited by EricFromPa, June 23, 2014 - 07:19 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:25 PM

One of the most over built walk behind garden tractor ever put on the market, many are still using them daily.

Nice haul !!

That was a good way to describe a Gravely, Jesse.  I've never thought of it that way, but it is true.

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you

#6 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 04:09 AM

Nice haul !!

I agree. I hope to have one with the brush cutter attachment some day. The BCS brand that is on today's market looks to be pretty robust too but, really pricey. If money was no object I'd get one though.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I agree. I hope to have one with the brush cutter attachment some day. The BCS brand that is on today's market looks to be pretty robust too but, really pricey. If money was no object I'd get one though.

Hard to find in good shape but very useful for lots of land or fields, i chose the sickle mower over the brush cutter just because that was what we used all the time on the farm but it still would be nice regardless and parts can still be found if one searches hard enough.

Edited by trowel, June 24, 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#8 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Though new and shiney the BCS/Grillo machines lack the "live/independent" PTO of the Gravelys.  The newer BCS/Grillo look to be more versatile though and many who have had Gravelys will say the BCS/Grillo attachments work better than the old Gravely stuff.  The problem I have found with most of the attachments I have acquired is they are suffering from lack of maintenance and repair, they are just used up and need a total refirb and once that is done I find them to be amazing for 50+ yr old technology.

• Alc, trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#9 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:06 AM

The problem I have found with most of the attachments I have acquired is they are suffering from lack of maintenance and repair, they are just used up and need a total refirb and once that is done I find them to be amazing for 50+ yr old technology.

It's been the same with much of the DB items I've found. I don't mind the refurbishing though since I'm pretty confident that it will outlast me.

I'm gradually learning about the Gravelys so that when I get ready to hunt for one maybe I'll have some knowledge of what to look for.

• Alc, trowel and js5020 have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:31 AM

It's been the same with much of the DB items I've found. I don't mind the refurbishing though since I'm pretty confident that it will outlast me.

I'm gradually learning about the Gravelys so that when I get ready to hunt for one maybe I'll have some knowledge of what to look for.

Yeah, a lot of walk behind guys usually end up with at least one Gravley with a couple attachments, the old L models had the Gravley engine and parts for the engines are worth more then the tractor itself, the later ones had the Kohlers and were better for working tractor then the L due to the engine.

I have seen re-powers from the cheap clone engines all the way up to Yanmar diesels and is fairly easy to do.

Saw several pop up on local CL and was very, very tempted to go after it.

• Alc, js5020 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:37 AM

Though new and shiney the BCS/Grillo machines lack the "live/independent" PTO of the Gravelys.  The newer BCS/Grillo look to be more versatile though and many who have had Gravelys will say the BCS/Grillo attachments work better than the old Gravely stuff.  The problem I have found with most of the attachments I have acquired is they are suffering from lack of maintenance and repair, they are just used up and need a total refirb and once that is done I find them to be amazing for 50+ yr old technology.

The BCS is a hot ticket for market gardeners around here and really has taken off, lots of people are still using the first series from the late 80's and really like the versatility of the tractor, powered by the dependable Honda engine it is hard to beat, i am a sentiments with the walk behinds but BCS is the way to go for newer walk behinds now that Troy Built is now just a name and nothing more.

• Alc and js5020 have said thanks

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:53 AM

While we are on the topic of good walk behinds i want to throw in another from Germany, Agria Motorhacke, was imported into this country in the late 70's but never really gained enough popularity for a strong footing and at the time Troy Bilt and Gravley were the big dogs.

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#13 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, a lot of walk behind guys usually end up with at least one Gravley with a couple attachments, the old L models had the Gravley engine and parts for the engines are worth more then the tractor itself, the later ones had the Kohlers and were better for working tractor then the L due to the engine.

I have seen re-powers from the cheap clone engines all the way up to Yanmar diesels and is fairly easy to do.

Walk behinds in general seem to be much more plentiful in Northern states. The fuel economy, utility, versatility, and ease of transporting is just hard to beat on walk behinds.

• trowel said thank you

#14 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:04 AM

I personally prefer the Kohler equipped machines, not just for the Kohler but most also had the 8 speed "swiftmatic" axle.

• trowel and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#15 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:08 AM

The Kohler equipped machines are the easiest to repower as the axle is made to handle a 3600 rpm engine the older L model axle is set up to run 2600 or so and the "sun gear" is the difficult part to adapt. 

• shallowwatersailor, Alc, trowel and 1 other said thanks