• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 01:06 PM

I just noticed my bolens  1556   started leaking very bad in the rear end.. The center section  .I guess first to try is tightening the bolts..Are those just a 12 point 7/16 type head.. ?? or are they some kind of star head that I need a special socket for..

Funny thing is I plowed snow with it all winter,,and the 2nd time I mowed with it the leak started..I hope I don't have to split the rear apart just for the gasket...    Any thoughts ..????

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thats strange, I'd try and see if the bolts are loose, normally once sealed transmission gaskets dont go bad.

#3 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Is it hydraulic fluid, or gear lube?

#4 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Just in case you do need a rear this would be the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3ce2ccc094

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Leaks come from moving parts.  That includes loose parts and parts that are supposed to move. 

If it happened suddenly, I'd check to see if a line to a hydraulic cylinder or maybe even your oil filter is loose.  Simply things are always the best things.

Otherwise, I would suspect a seal is blow out. 

If Eaton used what they use now, a heavy cardstock paper for gaskets, they shouldn't pop out unless a bolt is loose.  The weakest point in the system is a shaft seal assuming the relief failed and built up pressure.

Ben W.

#6 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:13 AM

If it's hydraulic fluid another thing to consider is the state of the venting on your hydraulic fluid tank. (attached to underside of the seat pan)  Bolens punched a tiny hole in the top of this fuid tank, and it acts like an expansion tank on a cooling system. (looks like a sharp dent)  As spring changed to summer this year, I thought I had a leak also.  Turns out, air couldn't escape the system and as the fluid tried to expand with the warmer weather, it was being forced out  where the tank line attached to the hydro package. (pools of fluid would form)  I used a sharp pointed tool to open the vent hole a little and have no trouble since.

• sodisr said thank you

#7 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:32 AM

They are just 12 point bolts nothing special. I've had mine apart in the past. If there is a drip in the very center at the output shaft there is either a bad seal or the aluminum housing boss has worn to the point where it can't be fixed.There is a square boss inside the cover with a bore in it where the shaft goes through. I had one wear out and had to swap out the cover.

• sodisr said thank you

#8 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:44 AM

Is it hydraulic fluid, or gear lube

90 wt gear... I did just change the gear lube about 3 months ago...

#9 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Just to be sure, the hydrostatic runs on hydraulic fluid. On the 1556 there is a little reserve tank in front of the seat. It should have hydraulic fluid in it not 90w.