• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leobeaudry OFFLINE  

leobeaudry
  • Member No: 53638
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Currently own JD  345, 15 yrs old.  Have single stage snowblower, 54 in mower, 30 in Tiller, rear grass collection system.  Well maintained and stored indoors.  

So far has been a solid unit and was able to handle most everything I was doing.

Recently retired, and I'm doing a lot more around the yard.  I find that it is falling short of what I want to do in term of tilling and snow removal.

I have been looking around for a replacement unit.  Found a JD 430, diesel with 1500 hrs.  C/W hydraulic tiller, 60 in deck and 2 stage snow blower.

I have no experience with diesels.  Can anyone offer advice on the 430 and/or switching to diesel?

Thanks,

Léo 

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Diesel is good, less fuel consumption by almost half and lots of power. Only downside can be hard starting in cold weather, but that's not an issue if you keep the engine and starting system in good shape. The 430 is a nice tractor but you need to make sure it was well maintained. It's a lot heavier then a 345 and will move more snow. Having the blower is a big bonus IMO. When you get heavy snowfalls it's better to blow it then to try to push it.

You have to ask yourself if a GT will do the job for you or if you may want to go to a subcompact or compact tractor so you can easily use a loader etc.

• leobeaudry said thank you

#3 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 12:38 PM

I might also suggest a newer model JD X7xx which come in either gas or diesel engines and some with 4wd. More money for sure.

We bought new in 2002, a X585-gas engine/4wd that morphed into the X7xx's. We upgraded from a 420 and found the foot hydro is a major plus.

We recently added a used 45 front end loader and have enjoyed its usefulness.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Chuck

• Alc, Trav1s and leobeaudry have said thanks

#4 leobeaudry OFFLINE  

leobeaudry
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 11:58 PM

Diesel is good, less fuel consumption by almost half and lots of power. Only downside can be hard starting in cold weather, but that's not an issue if you keep the engine and starting system in good shape. The 430 is a nice tractor but you need to make sure it was well maintained. It's a lot heavier then a 345 and will move more snow. Having the blower is a big bonus IMO. When you get heavy snowfalls it's better to blow it then to try to push it.

You have to ask yourself if a GT will do the job for you or if you may want to go to a subcompact or compact tractor so you can easily use a loader etc.

Thanks for the advice!  I feel that you are on to something when you suggested compact tractor . . .  I have been thinking of that and getting a second unit for grass only . . . lots to think about.

Again, thanks for the input.

Léo

#5 leobeaudry OFFLINE  

leobeaudry
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 12:01 AM

I might also suggest a newer model JD X7xx which come in either gas or diesel engines and some with 4wd. More money for sure.

We bought new in 2002, a X585-gas engine/4wd that morphed into the X7xx's. We upgraded from a 420 and found the foot hydro is a major plus.

We recently added a used 45 front end loader and have enjoyed its usefulness.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, 

JDBrian also mentioned the front end loader.  It's a strong suggestion . . . maybe go compact/subcompact and get a grass cutter as well.

I certainly appreciate the advice!

Léo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jd 430, diesel