• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • Member No: 10852
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hi all.  I was wondering if someone has run into this before.  I converted my 110 (K181s) from magneto to battery ignition.  This solved all of my runability problems except that the battery runs down when sitting.  I've resorted to taking off the battery cable but I'm sure there's a better solution.  To convert it I used the coil off of a 112 I own and replaced the ignition switch with one from the same 112 (K241).  Is there somewhere I should start testing?  I would really appreciate any guidance you might provide.  Thanks so much.

Bnz 41

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:10 PM

I think Spain has converted from mag to battery - there might be other the have

I make him a wiring harness how he wanted, but I do not know if he has put it on

He wanted to use the old switch ( 3 wire) not the the 5 wire switch

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Check and see if your ignition switch is leaking voltage to any terminal other than the BAT terminal.  If it is, then you have a need for a new switch. 

If it is leaking to the coil, you had better buy some new points too.  Voltage when the engine is off will burn the points up if they are in the right position. 

Ben W.

• bnz 41 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:14 AM

It sounds like the coil may still be getting voltage when the key is off. This would run the battery down pretty quick. If you have a DC ammeter check the current flow from the battery with the switch off. Remove the + battery wire from the terminal and put your ammeter in line between the battery + and the + lead that you disconnected. Connect  the ammeter+ lead at the battery and switch to a high amps scale. Once you can see the current on the meter you can start disconnecting circuits until you find out where the problem is. I'd start with the coil. Once you find out where the problem is you can trace the wiring to figure out what's going on.

• bnz 41 said thank you

#5 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

#6 bnz 41 OFFLINE  

bnz 41
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 03:20 PM

I think I figured it out.  When I converted it to  battery ignition.  I used the correct new switch, but simply plugged the old connector in.  When I compared the wiring diagrams for the battery vs. magneto models there is a different order or placement in the five-pronged connector.  I moved some wires around and I think that fixed it.  I'll let it sit overnight and hopefully I will find that it works.  The amp gauge seems to be working now so I'll take that as a good sign.  Thanks to everyone who responded.