• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Brought home a Dead H14XL today, motor is stuck, something binding the steering, turns but tight as ___, 42" deck still functional with a clean and lube I think, tractor is complete and decent shape except I doubt that is the original seat, no idea what Im gonna do with it yet... figured I'd see if anyone has one and what you think of it. Seems to me they it would be a pretty nice mower tractor. It was part of a $100 package deal... two dead tractors and a wheel-less dump cart.

Attached Thumbnails

• loaded.jpg
  • H14XL2.jpg
  • H14XL3.jpg

• HANKG said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:16 AM

I see those later Bolens for sale here. There was a nice Eliminator 1900 for sale recently. I was tempted but the asking price was pretty steep. Don't know much about them but they look like a well made tractor.

#3 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:04 AM

I had a standard shift 1468 that was the very first Bolens I ever rebuilt and restored. I gave it to my son. All it does is mow 3 acres of grass and it is still going strong. I must say that it was gear so low that you could mow light grass with it in 4 gear.

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 01:13 PM

According to tractordata they were only built from 77-81 so its a fairly old tractor, all steel bodywork, 14hp tecumseh, eatons 11, 775lbs, only other Bolens I've ever had is my '57 so I dont much about them... seems like a well built little tractor, although a little too small for ground engaging attachments. 

Po said it was still turning over when he parked it but its stuck right now so I'll fill it with diesel and let it sit for now, 10.5 turfs on the back were in very good condition so those are on my LGT 100 now, and the other tractor, a Ford 80, I think is sold already so Im ahead as far as $$ spent, the dump cart is a cheapy but no holes in it, missing the wheels and the locking pieces on the hitch socket, but I'll be able to make use of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• bolensdeck.jpg
  • bolens engine.jpg
  • bolens dash.jpg

Edited by Lance Skene, June 23, 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:29 PM

They made a bunch of these tractors, they serve as pretty good mowers and snow blowers.

Yours is more towards 1980 as it has the new Decals on it.

• Lance Skene said thank you

#6 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 04:32 AM

I would imagine it was a nice tractor to use, that big pedal for the hydro control is probably very nice to have. I usually try to stick to Kohler powered tractors so I dont have any tecumseh parts on hand... if it needs a new motor I'll be hoping to sell it as is, maybe throw on a seat and knock out any dents but its in good shape for its age(other than motor), I advertised it for $150... and Im always negotiable... especially if they bring whiskey. 

.... but if doesnt move I'll slowly fix it up back to good working condition, refresh the paint, dont see why it couldnt bring $400-$500 range when its done... and I'd get to try out a newer(to me) Bolens in the process;)

#7 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:35 AM

They are pretty solid machines. I've got a couple of the 16HP vtwin versions of that tractor. I really like mine a lot.