• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • Member No: 9938
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm sure your going to find a used hub but couldn't it just be welded ?

It crossed my mind to weld it, but I was thinking that it will still be too enlarged to properly tighten on the axle.

#17 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I would like that motor for spare parts for mine!  Not sure if the hubs would fit as the issue of splined vs keyed.

Well maybe we can work something out. Hamiltucky isn't too awfully far from Muncie. I'm going to try to get up there in the next couple of days to check it out. I'll see if I can tell whether that motor is a 140 or a 160, and if it'll spin.

#18 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Man, I was almost positive those were on the Murray chassis. Huh, learned something new today.

could be, but they are listed under the customs on Vintage Sears garden tractors. I think they still used the custom frames.

Well maybe we can work something out. Hamiltucky isn't too awfully far from Muncie. I'm going to try to get up there in the next couple of days to check it out. I'll see if I can tell whether that motor is a 140 or a 160, and if it'll spin.

If you look at it, the engine block will have either a 12, 14 or 16 stamped on the oil pan on the front left corner where motor is bolted to frame, kind of like under the flywheel tin below carb area. That # indicates Hp rating on motor. Sears never used a Tecumseh OH140 motor in their suburbans, only the customs like the pic I posted.

Not sure if I could afford it right now...had to borrow $100 from my 16 yr old so I can pick up a good deal on a moldboard tonight. :D

#19 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Big thanks to sponsor Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors. He took care of me with a set of the next generation hubs which have a much better design.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Big thanks to sponsor Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors. He took care of me with a set of the next generation hubs which have a much better design.

That good to hear.

"next generation hubs"  would like to see a picture, not sure I have ever heard of an upgraded version

#21 whyaretwo OFFLINE  

whyaretwo
  • 24 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 09:54 AM

That good to hear.

"next generation hubs"  would like to see a picture, not sure I have ever heard of an upgraded version

Not sure if it's a next generation hub, or just from the next generation of Sears GT.

Hubs.jpg

Must be the angle of the picture that makes it looks like they couldn't possibly fit the same wheel. The new ones are much beefier and no pinch bolt!

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 08, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Ok I see now. The split ones were originally design to allow the hubs to be adjustable to slide wheels out some to help match some attachments and make track wider. The newer style was fixed and appear to be beefier. 

• MH81 said thank you