6 replies to this topic

#1 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I've been tinkering w/a john deere 110 for my 9 yr old son to pull at some of the local shows that have garden tractor pulls.Last weekend this tractor was at my Grandfathers tractor show and it was for sale.I never even looked at because I personally didn't know it was for sale until he picked them up sunday night.My brother was talking to the owner and got the prices but no name or phone number.Well as it turns out my Dad knew the owner.I looked up his num and they were both still avail on thurs so I went and picked it up.He knew nothing about the engine other than the owner before him put over $1500 in the engine.He said it was a 14 H.P. Kohler.I'm thinking it's a k 341 not the k321.The reason I think this is there is 10 head bolts rather than 9.I think all the k series except k341 have 9 head bolts.All I know is if I say what I paid you guys will say I stole it for that.It was too good to pass on.I've been looking for a gear drive cub to tinker around with for pulling once in a while.I couldn't see paying what some of these basket cases were selling for that I looked at.

pulling tractor 116.JPG pulling tractor 117.JPG

pulling tractor 118.JPG pulling tractor 119.JPG pulling tractor 120.JPG pulling tractor 121.JPG pulling tractor 122.JPG pulling tractor 123.JPG

I picked it up on thurs night got home and unloaded it and it started running rough.I thought it was getting low on gas.I shut it off and I noticed gas coming out of the carb.I put gas in it Friday and no change.I thought maybe the float had a hole in it and the bowl was over flowing.That checked ok.I ended up bending the little tab that the needle rides on.Problem solved, I hope.It's running like a top again.

I want to take my son to my parents house and have him drive it around and see how he handles t.I think there is a pull coming up after july 4th.I want to let him do the pull,but I'm sure I'm going to pull a couple times also.I want to see what this thing will do.I need to make up some extra weights.It has 2 on it now.the previous owner said he has more but he has to dig them out and give me a call.I have a set of ags on my 105 that I want to put on.I don't know which will do better for how it's geared.It looks like i'll be doing a lot of trial and error.

Edited by ckjakline, June 22, 2014 - 08:16 PM.

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 09:11 AM

looks really nice there a great tractor, best of luck with it. Hank

• ckjakline said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yup you have a 16 HP unit there ! That unit should be a runner ! Got to love them cub trannys !! They are very effecient!!
  • ckjakline and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 02:40 PM

My son and I got to pull the 128 last weekend.We are still figuring this thing out and how it handles.I had my son pull in 2nd gear again.Wasn't sure what the front end would do at the end of the track if I had him pull in 3rd.He would've been safe in 3rd it spun out for me.He placed 3rd/10 in the 900 lb class.I'm not sure where he placed in the 1000 lb class.I pulled in the 1000 and the 1100 lb class.Placed 1st/15 in the 1000 w/a full pull.I placed 5th/15 in the 1100 lb class.I didn't get weights made yet so we just pulled the way it was for all the classes.We didn't add any weight.I was very impressed how it did.It didn't run out of power,and it definitely sounded like it meant business at full throttle.I'm guessing they were 12 h.p.Not sure though but there was a definite tone difference.

#5 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted August 04, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Great Job

#6 old149 OFFLINE  

old149
  • Member No: 35925
  • 38 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Boy would I like to find a 16 hp that is outstanding. I am just putting together a 100 or 70 I think it has been played with because of the 10 hp will send pictures later. Old 149

#7 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Went to the first pull of the season last night.I'm not sure how my son placed we were by ourselves and couldn't hear with the other tractors at the track.My dad usually goes along with us and watches.He had other plans last night.My son pulled in the 800,900,and 1000 lb classes.He placed 5th out of 10 in the 1000 lb class.He's 10 and he was the youngest one there last night.The track was very dry last night and he didn't give it full throttle soon enough.i think that really affected a lot of the other guys also.I did pretty good.I pulled in the 900,1000,and 1100 lb classes.900 lb class i made a full pull 1st place.1000 lb class i got 2nd place.1100 lb class another full pull made it into the pull off and ended up getting 2nd.I had wheel weights and i got a weight bar made up for underneath.I had to do a lot of weight switching around but we had a good time.

• BNK said thank you