Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where Do You Buy Your Lawn&garden Parts?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Do you have contact info for him? Will he ship?

Off hand I don't have the name,I just know how to get there----Will try and take a spin by there friday and get the name and number,also I don't know about shipping

will pm you with info when I get it friday

Bill

#32 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 03:10 AM

I was using Stens for most common parts but found that many of the Stens parts can be found on ebay for less money and free shipping, only thing is I have to wait a couple days longer.  JD and Cub Cadet for most of the OEM only parts and variator belts.  NAPA for plugs and fluids except "00" grease which is way too expensive at NAPA.

• Alc said thank you

#33 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 11:33 PM

You do know I have dealer status for Wisconsin right? :poke:

Sorry Dr Bolens ,I didn't mean to try to take any busness from you,I now know you are a dealer for wisconsin parts and you may look forward to my needs for wisconsin parts in the furture.I didn't mean to step on your or any of the sites sponsers toes.

Once again,sorry about that

Bill

#34 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:26 PM

I use a variety of sources. Internet, eBay, the NAPA a mile from my house, and last but not least Doc Bolens.

I use the napa for common stuff, and for convenience because it's on my way home for work. I also have an well stocked Ace Hardware within a mile of home that has a lot of lawn and garden stuff.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#35 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Around my area we have 2 dedicated Lawn and Garden shops.

Both of them you go there looking for a part, and unless you want to buy a whole tractor they treat you like a piece of something.

I haven't went to a L&G shop for years now.  Especially after going there looking for some throttle pieces for a 1972 HM80 Tecumseh and him blowing me off telling me just to replace it with one of the new Honda engines he had on the shelf.  After I told him to shove the Honda engine where the sun doesn't shine I left and never went back.

I either order off the net, or go to Napa for smaller stuff.  My local napa can get me gasket kits, carb kits, ect for just about any engine I want.  Tecumseh Briggs Kohler, ect.  They have a great selection.

• Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#36 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 10:53 AM

We have a few Lawn and Garden shops around here.

One that is so expensive, I'd rather wait for parts to come in the mail. (usually have to order and wait on them anyway) Last parts I bought from them cost double what I could have bought on E-bay with free shipping.

One who's shop is worse than my garage. Parts/mowers everywhere. He usually has customers waiting in line. (he must be good) He can get anything, but he always gives me that "what/why did you do that/want that for?"

One who's around the corner, been in business for years. Usually has what I need, willing to listen and offer advice. If he dosen't have or can't get the part I need, usually tells me where to get it. (one of the other local shops)

And a couple of more that are just to far away.

Which one do you think I visit?

I've learned that if number three doesn't have it; google it first. As it will have to be ordered and waited on anyway.

Bearings and seals: Local Motion Industry store, best price and usually have in stock.

Belts and hoses: Local mom and pop place. Always have the belt I need for less than auto parts place, Farm and Country, or TSC. They make hoses while you wait.

I've also bought from our site sponsers.

Oh, BTW, Local True Value (used to be an ACE Hardware.) They have all kinds of small stuff: bushings, tie rod ends, pulleys, nuts and bolts; you name it. 

Edited by Bmerf, July 01, 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:26 AM

I almost never visit local shops, as I usually don't have the time, and they end up ordering the part anyway.  So I use the internet to source 99% of my new parts, whether it be ebay, online stores, or site sponsors.

#38 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I buy from the local L &G. He's on my way home. Napa is around the corner but I use them for car parts. My local guy treats me very good , I find the part# I need bring it to him and he does a good job coming close to internet prices on most things. Many people I know think he's pricey but they don't go there regularly, Lenny ( owner) knows me by name as I buy all my equipment as well as supplies there. He even sharpens my chain saw chains.
As far as made in USA Always first choice.
Price is a consideration, but keeping business local usually wins out. If it's something he doesn't carry I check site sponsors then internet last.
Tom

Edited by TomLGT195, July 04, 2014 - 06:21 PM.