Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where Do You Buy Your Lawn&garden Parts?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:31 AM

I pretty much shop the local L&G but I tell you, some companies like Toro, Kohler, and Wisconsin really annoy me with they're ridiculous prices for proprietary parts.

Case in point; A Wheel Horse stick shift trans: all of the bearings are available from any bearing vendor, except the large roller bearings on the inboard axle. It is only available from Toro and will run you some $70.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:38 AM

I pretty much shop the local L&G but I tell you, some companies like Toro, Kohler, and Wisconsin really annoy me with they're ridiculous prices for proprietary parts.

Case in point; A Wheel Horse stick shift trans: all of the bearings are available from any bearing vendor, except the large roller bearings on the inboard axle. It is only available from Toro and will run you some $70.

Yes, Wisconsin can be expensive but they also still make and stock parts for their legacy engines that are nearing 60 years old. not many companies can say they do that. I'd rather pay a bit more and have stuff available than have nothing at all IMO

Who told you the bearings were only available from Toro? I bet I can find them for you without going OEM :D

• trowel, boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#18 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:43 AM

I was doing my neighbor a favor a few weeks ago by replacing the blown head gasket on his self-propelled mower.

B&S OHV engine- only 5 years old.

I went to FIVE legitimate mower shops who are all B&S dealers.  ....None of them stocked the head gasket.  ....WTF ???? 

I was told 3-7 days to get one.  ....I told my neighbor to order one online.  ....He had it in 2 days!  ....I wish I hadn't wasted my time or gas to drive to 5 different places (4 were out of my way)!!

I was shocked that none of these dealers stocked a head gasket for such a common engine, but I guess I got the answer when I saw the posted shop labor rates from $70-$90 per hour.  .....I guess they would just tell a customer it was not worth repairing and sell him a new mower.

Sorry to get side-tracked from the original topic!

• Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:33 AM

With my old Sears Suburbans, I can't be to picky about where I get parts. I have found a few parts locally, but these parts are the things that also fit somewhat more modern GTs as well.  Napa has a few things like axle seals and such. Most everything I have gotten were the result of web searches. Ben at Old Paths Equipment  had some of the parts I needed for my recoil starter on my Suburban 10. That is back on and starts first pull from the seat. :thumbs:

Edited by robert_p43, June 23, 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Since our local NAPAs are in the city, they rarely even have tractor parts in stock. I turn to the net and find what I need. If I don't need OEM, I shop evilbay or try Amazon. Many parts I get from Parts Tree and my carb parts from Randys engine repair. 

I need a starter gear for my little Craftsman right now, son chewed it up this afternoon... guess I will be doing some googling!

#21 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,409 Thanks
  • 1,544 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 02:48 PM

I usually get parts from 4 different sources, internet, tsc, the advance auto store next door to where I work, or one local repair shop. There is another shop but I only go there for Ariens parts, I also buy parts machines if i'ts something small.

#22 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 10:37 AM

I tend to shop around.. I usually research the parts,,amazon and flee-bay the prices,,and check for quality.. check a few locals,, bearring shops,,Napa,, TSC,, Then base my opinion on prices + taxes +shipping,,,,  How fast I need the part...

Iv'e had cheap bearings from China go out in 6 months on a mower deck... So I'm consiense  on Quality ..in some areas.  I a'm very satisfied with some of our venders on this site,,  They KNOW the quality,,haveing been there done that to their own GTs..

I bought blades and things from DR. bolens.. :smilewink:   very good quality.. the ones from a fleet-farm were half the thickness,,and some-what universal..     I'm on a limited budget and shopping around is half the fun.....

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Super duper Ben is my new favorite source.

#24 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 02:40 PM

I use Napa cus it's only 1/4 mile away and the price is right and they still look things up in a book-----closest L&G is 5 miles away and the guy is a jerk,has almost nothing in stock and if you can get him to order it you might get it in a week if your lucky,only orders on tuesday--so if you go there on wednsday your order aint  going out until the next tuesday. 

This guy will sell you a new machine but if you want a head gasket for a B&S your just dirt to him.

But there is shop 3 miles away that sells only Wisconsin engine parts and has everything in stock,I buy all my Wisconsin parts from him and he don't even need the book,looks at your old part and knows what you need----Good customer service and a heck of a nice person.

• Bolens 1000, sacsr and LilysDad have said thanks

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 03:03 PM

Does having parts made in the USA matter to anyone?

I try and stock all things possible that are made in the USA because I hate buying stuff from china.

How about Shipping? Do the big parts stores charge alot for shipping? I'ts been a long time since I bought from one of the big small engine places online but I remember freight was a joke. It was $17 to ship a small part that could be mailed for $2.00 in an envelope. I try and offer a flat rate of $5.05 on most items and if more than one items are purchased I apply Free Shipping. I try and run my business how I would like to be treated if I was on the Consumer end , the ridiculous "Handling" charge tacked onto shipping always kills me!

• Alc, sacsr, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#26 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Most of mine are from the JD dealer 25 miles away.  What I can get from the local L&G dealer.  ~~  Lowell

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 06:28 PM

But there is shop 3 miles away that sells only Wisconsin engine parts and has everything in stock,I buy all my Wisconsin parts from him and he don't even need the book,looks at your old part and knows what you need----Good customer service and a heck of a nice person.

Do you have contact info for him? Will he ship?

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Do you have contact info for him? Will he ship?

You do know I have dealer status for Wisconsin right? :poke:

• LilysDad said thank you

#29 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 07:10 PM

No, I didn't. Thanks for telling me.

#30 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Does having parts made in the USA matter to anyone?
I try and stock all things possible that are made in the USA because I hate buying stuff from china.

How about Shipping? Do the big parts stores charge alot for shipping? I'ts been a long time since I bought from one of the big small engine places online but I remember freight was a joke. It was $17 to ship a small part that could be mailed for $2.00 in an envelope. I try and offer a flat rate of $5.05 on most items and if more than one items are purchased I apply Free Shipping. I try and run my business how I would like to be treated if I was on the Consumer end , the ridiculous "Handling" charge tacked onto shipping always kills me!

It seems that most of the small engine parts I've bought are made in the USA. I'm sure I've gotten some Chinese stuff without noticing. I'd much prefer USA stuff. But I won't go real far out of my way to do it.

I only WISH auto parts weren't all Chinese. Good luck finding anything but Chinese at auto zone, advanced or Napa.

Edited by NJKen, June 26, 2014 - 08:02 PM.