Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where Do You Buy Your Lawn&garden Parts?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:57 PM

After reading many threads over the years it seems like more and more people are turning to Autoparts stores to get parts for their Lawn and Garden Needs.

I never used to question this but now that I'm on the Lawn and Garden Dealer side of things I wonder what makes people turn to a store that specializes in Car parts rather than buy from a L&G Dealer or one of the vendors on the Net.

I guess my main reason for posting this is getting people's opinions on why they shop where they do.

For me its easy to choose , not because I am now a L&G parts retailer but because I like having OEM and quality parts to use on my machines.

And if you do shop at autoparts stores why is it?

Price?,Convenience? ect.

• trowel, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 3 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:13 PM

I must be like you then and apparently part of a odd few that still go to L & G parts stores.

Napa Auto Parts has always been a place for older common small engine parts and at the time the only place that sold common parts for the late series Clinton and early Techumseh Lauson engines.

This is before the computer was affordable.

Edited by trowel, June 22, 2014 - 08:14 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:22 PM

I still use lawn and garden shops unless it's something I need that they don't have then I go to the internet.I havn't personally bought anything other than wax for my GTs at auto parts stores.

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Location my be some of it. Auto parts store maybe be more central in the area and easier to get to. Noel
I use a small engine shop to get my parts, I don't use the auto parts store. I like dealing with people who know the products for lawn and garden tractor mowers. Just my thoughts.

Edited by propane1, June 22, 2014 - 08:35 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:29 PM

If it's available at Tulsa Engine Warehouse, I'll order it from them.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:44 PM

My favorite L&G repair shop is open 8-5, M-F, 14 miles NW of my house. I work SE of my house and currently work 6am to 6pm. O'Reilly is open to 9pm. The internet is open 24-7-365.

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#7 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I get my parts where I can when I can, I am not picky about that.  If I need it and the locale parts store has it I am going there.  Otherwise I usually go for the most affordable parts I can find.

Pete

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:31 PM

No L&G around me except for an old Western auto. They look at me like I am nuts on some of the stuff I ask for.

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:04 PM

not many L&G places around here i usually go to the auto parts store because the manager can get most things i need. if he can't get them then i go to a farm equipment dealer that deals with a lot of old things. 

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:24 PM

Before I started messing with parts myself, I bought from the local Napa or the local auto parts brands for oddball stuff like points and condenser since if it was available they could usually get it in a couple hours, versus the local shop putting my antique needs on the back burner and getting it a week later.

Then I decided to consistently work with one dealer, and he started to know me and even stock some things I commonly wanted.

Then I went into business and now I suggest everyone should buy their parts from the Shenandoah Valley of VA from me.  :rolling: :rolling:

Ben W.

• KennyP, trowel, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:30 AM

Never go to Napa for small engine parts. After bad luck with local small engine shops - High prices and 3 week waits to get parts, I started using my local JD dealer for whatever they can get me. Can usually get parts within 3 days and prices lower than the small engine shop. If I can't get it there I try the internet and try to stay with Canadian suppliers. US shipping and duty/brokerage make US sourced parts very expensive.

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and propane1 have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I get most things from the internet. No L&G shops close and wait time can be a bummer.

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:47 AM

Depends on what I'm working on , a lot of times I'll keep extra deck belts for the 318 , most times for those I go back to JD for them the set hanging in the garage right now came for Stens , the other location I was working a fellow had an account ( I think ) and if he put an order over so much it was free shipping so I looked through the catalogue and tried  thinking of  things I should have on hand , side note , I bought there fuel line and it's wasn't their best , should have paid extra and saved myself grief because it doesn't last long . , sometimes I'll pick up little things a swap meets .   I've bought some parts from site sponsors and will try to support  you guys first if I'm going  to have a mail order

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Never go to Napa for small engine parts. After bad luck with local small engine shops - High prices and 3 week waits to get parts, I started using my local JD dealer for whatever they can get me. Can usually get parts within 3 days and prices lower than the small engine shop. If I can't get it there I try the internet and try to stay with Canadian suppliers. US shipping and duty/brokerage make US sourced parts very expensive.

Sucks for you up in the Great White North for sure dude..  Taxes and importing things does make it expensive for ya.  I am transportation challenged so I shop around on the web and buy almost everything there.  There are also a few L & G tractor dealers but they usually have to order the stuff and I can do the same thing on the web for less $$ so there is where I shop.  I hit the jackpot at times and find free shipping to boot!  

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:08 AM

I usually get parts from NAPA for convenience and price. I don't make a trip just for one or two parts, I wait until I need abunch of small engine and automotive parts. Today I'll drive the 8 miles and get 2 batteries, an electrical switch, some ignition wire, and go to my favorite tire dealer, for trailer tires, in the same trip. Then I'll go to the supermarket which is nearby. There are two tractor dealers nearby but they are way overpriced. Often double the price of NAPA or an old dealer that I deal with sometimes(but he is an hour away).

I also pickup parts at swap meets. Yesterday there was a dealer with tire valves, light bulbs, light lenses, and alot of other miscellaeneous new hardware. Another had heay gasket material in 8 x 11 pieces 5 for $3. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 23, 2014 - 06:28 AM.

• KennyP said thank you