Pole Barn House?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,981 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I've had this idea brewing in my head for quite some time.

I have a few plots of land scattered around. 2 acres and a 10 acre lot sitting with nothing going on there but high grass. Plus my 2 acres the house we live in now is sitting on.

My idea is to build a 30x56 pole barn with vinyl siding, metal roof and a concrete floor with heating in it. Then once the building is all done going inside and laying out a house. I have a few quotes for the barn and figure I can build a 1500 Sq ft house for under a 90 grand.

What do you guys think? Not saying I can start on this tomorrow or maybe even 5 years from now but it's an idea brewing in my head.

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 22, 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#2 Traill95 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 905 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Quite a few people have done that in this area. Something to do with lower taxes I think. They build large pole Barns and then build there house in one end. Wouldn't have far to go to get to the Shop. Wouldn't even get out in the weather. :dancingbanana:

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:09 PM

I have seen some pictures of homes made from pol barns (pole buildings) that look really nice. The one that sticks out in my mind was built like a salt box barn with sleeping and bathrooms up stairs and living and recreation on the first floor. Looke dreally nice.   Good luck it would be great to see.                              Roger.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:25 PM

There is a guy that is at a lot of local shows that has living quarters in the top of his pole building.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Think they already have beam and pole homes?? There was one made into an office by me. Went up just like a barn, with a few little jut-out areas, but was later fitted with windows and doors. All metal siding and roof.  Doubt there is lot of resale value in a unit like that though.  I have seperate shop, that way if I blow it, or something else blows up won't get the house too. Plus, the stink from the shop would end up in house side I would bet. Running engine smells, gas smells, parts cleaners smells, all in the house. I have seen a small log cabin made onto a huge pole-barn once in my area, but was only a 1 bedroom and not kept up too well. I thought that was neat at first, till I looked more closely at it. Wasn't cheap either!  I've seen 3 car garages with living above, but at my old age now, getting tired of stairs to get up there. Would have to add expensive elevator thing for us old people!

#6 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,362 Thanks
  • 8,697 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Done all the time around where I grew up, very common.