• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 koolhand OFFLINE  

koolhand
  • Member No: 58882
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm looking at clearing some land, I build a home made skid to move one log at a time because the logs are 6 to 8 inches by 8 to 10 feet long. What would be a good two or four wheel tractor to move the logs. It cost to much to rent or buy a new or a good use tractor. I like to have one I can rebuild and use for a long time.

Thank u much for any help.

Koolhand

• T Guiles said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:57 PM

A lot depends on terrain. Rough terrain would require more ground clearance, AG tires or chains to get the job done.  If you can find a larger GT with a 3pt hitch then you can lift the front of the log and drag it. 8" diameter x 10ft shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of good choices out there. I would look at what's available locally in your price range rather than focussing on one brand.  Sorry if that isn't much help but availability is often a big factor and there are many GT's that will do that job, depending on the terrain involved. Ground clearance tends to get used up quickly once you go off the beaten path. 

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#3 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:03 PM

I agree, take a ride around and see what most people in your area own, It will help you figure out parts availability, Good luck and hope to see some pic's of your new purchase  

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:16 PM

If I remember from my time in San Antonio, Kerrville is in the hill country and everything that grows is mean thorny or massive sharp limestone and caleche stone and sharp enough to puncture tires. Whatever you get needs to have tough tires or you will spend all your time fixing flats.
This is one area where big and heavy is an asset. Like others said see what is available in the area.

Honestly one of those big 4 wheel drive articulated log skidders with the full cage and massive winches would not be overkill.
I have noticed they sometimes are not expensive because they are such special purpose many do not see the need or application. Oddly I know where two are in this county and there is not a lot of timber here, though the county was 70% timberland when it was settled.

But as others said look for what is available in your area.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 22, 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:42 PM

You didn't mention anything about a budget.  That's going to be a major part of any suggestions we might have.

Here's a tractor that would do the hauling for you, but if you are wanting something to mow the grass, it wouldn't work.

http://austin.craigs...4533061158.html

At the price though, you could buy it, use it, and resell it after you've done all the heavy work you need done. I'm betting you wouldn't lose any $$ at all when you resell it either.

This one would do what you want, but might be out of your price range:

http://sanantonio.cr...4526955324.html

Another possibility.  I know NOTHING about the brand, but you could probably research that with a Google search.

http://sanantonio.cr...4471455971.html

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:13 PM

That last one the Zen-oh,  if I remember right Zen-oh is a  Co-op in  Japan in fact the worlds largest if I remember right.

It has been a long time since I read the articles on grey market tractors on the Orange Tractor forum.

Point being that it could be a straight assembly line model from any manufacturer.

Just like the Co-op's here in the states used to do they would buy from the manufacturers and sell to the Japanese farmers.  To stimulate the economy in Japan the government charges ridiculous taxes on machines over 7 yrs old.

It motivates the farmers to trade often, so their tractors have very low hours on them.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 22, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Someone posted some information on those tractors here: http://gardentractor...=364076&hl=+zen

Might be real gun to find parts.

As for your needs, I would get a small Massey or Ford with 3 point. TO35 Ferguson would be a great choice, and use it, then resell. They are very capable machines and pretty nimble.

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:55 AM

As for your needs, I would get a small Massey or Ford with 3 point. TO35 Ferguson would be a great choice, and use it, then resell. They are very capable machines and pretty nimble.

In my area these tractors hold their value quite well,so most likely you could use the tractor a year or 2 and get your original investment back.This strategy would only work if you aren't totally overcome by the tractor bug and can't part with it by then! :thumbs: