14 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:10 PM

My Simplicity has unreadable ID tags. Engine numbers are totally gone. Last numbers of Tractor Model are 0352. Engine will start but stalls. Figured I would start with changing the points & condenser. Anyone know the part numbers for them? Thanks... Bill

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:20 PM

If you post a picture of your engine someone may be able to ID it.

• Bill56 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:30 PM

I think those used a 10HP 243431 Briggs Engine but will wait for the simplicity guys to chime in

I do stock the Points for these units and can order a condenser if you cant find them elsewhere.

• Bill56 said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Bill,

The 101 had the Briggs model 243431engine, 10 hp cast iron with external points box below the carb, i'll bet the stalling is from the carb itself. The Flo-Jets can be a bit of a pain and require a tight seal to be able to draw the fuel up into the engine.

Disassembly and cleaning of the carb with new gaskets and carb rebuild kit should rectify the issue.

Here is a manual showing the Landlord series, yours is in there : http://www.google.co....69411363,d.cGU

The numbers for the carb are old but any parts dealer should be able to convert the numbers to the new and have the kit for you

Oh, and Bill, while your there you might as well buy a point file and file the points, re set the point at .016 to .018 inches.

Edited by trowel, June 22, 2014 - 02:36 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Bill56 and superaben have said thanks

#5 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Have you checked for spark after the engine stalls?

I too believe you have a fuel issue.

Napa has all the ignition and carburetor parts you should need.

Bring the old part and they will match it.

• Bill56 said thank you

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the quick replies. I appreciate it very much!!

This all came about because my faithfull, 43 year old Sears, has become quite ill. I'm afraid it's going to need some costly engine work.

So I'm looking at my many non-running tractors to see which will be the quickest and, (most importantly), least costly to get into running condition. The Simplicity was easiest to get to, with a Bolens 1050 right behind. I've collected more Bolens parts, than Simpicity, so I'm not sure which candidate is going to be done first. (I'll be needing some good knowledge on the Bolens repairs too). Basically I'm trying to pull a rabbit out of the hat without much cost.

As for the spark/fuel issues... I had no spark at first. Filed and set the points and got a weak spark. Added fuel and the engine ran till warmed up. Then started sputtering and died out. No spark at that time. Let it sit for a while and restarted the engine with same results again. Key switch felt "loose" so I disconnected the wire just to make sure that wasn't causing my problem. The carburetor could still be an issue, so maybe I'll have to deal with that too.

I don't have a lot of time, to do the work, so It may be a few days before I can post any results.

Thanks, again, for all the help. :wave:  Bill

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Interesting,

Sounds like it could be the condenser after all but now i am starting to think the ignition coil might be breaking down, not a common thing for a model 24 Briggs, change the condenser and a new NGK B6S or Autolite 295 spark plug.

Make sure the wire from the coil to the points is not grounding out onto the block, the points cover can pinch the wire.

• Bill56 said thank you

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Made some time for a Napa shopping trip today. Figured I would have to place an order, but I was lucky and they had points and condenser in stock. Picked up an air filter too, since mine was pretty much in the "crumbling" stage. I got the points installed and gap set and installed a new plug. Now waiting for the battery to charge for a bit and then maybe I will have a running engine... wish me luck!!!

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Waiting for the battery to charge a bit? Why didn't you just use the rope start pulley on the BGB ? :deadhorse:

Good luck with your project...Dave

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 07:03 PM

Waiting for the battery to charge a bit? Why didn't you just use the rope start pulley on the BGB ? :deadhorse:

Good luck with your project...Dave

My neighbors are close, and were having a party, so I didn't want to make a lot of noise. Just wanted to turn it over fast enough to see if I had spark. Cranked it over, a bit ago and had a wonderful, strong spark!! Unfortunately... ( and here comes the part I really don't want to admit )... I didn't have any spark, at first, because I set the gap with the points closed... Still laughing at myself for that one!!!!!!

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

• trowel said thank you

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 07:50 PM

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

Unfortunately... ( and here comes the part I really don't want to admit )... I didn't have any spark, at first, because I set the gap with the points closed... Still laughing at myself for that one!!!!!!

We all have done that one before and cranked or yanked until the cows come home :deadhorse:

Great to hear of the sparking plug doing it's thing.

• Bill56 said thank you

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Well it is day 3 of July 2014 and we don't know if it is running or not? I am real interested as I have a 64 landlord with a 23D I need to do the points on.

:D   Al

#13 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Sorry for such a long period between updates. My "tractor time" is very limited. Good news is, the engine starts and seems to be running pretty good.Yesterday, I had a few minutes to warm it up enough to do some carburetor adjustments. Hoping to get the mower deck mounted soon so I can give the tractor a power test.  :wave:

• trowel said thank you

#14 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 06:58 AM

Thanks, add some sea foam to the fuel if the tractor has sat. helps the carb a bit.

:D   Al

• Bill56 said thank you

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 06, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Since my "spark problem" seems to be cured, and I'll be having lots of other questions, I'm going to open a new post. Thanks, again for all the help!

• trowel said thank you