• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 duct tape OFFLINE  

duct tape
  • Member No: 58287
  • 13 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:13 PM

I need to do something about my flat tires. It doesn't look like tractor supply will have a a tube to fit, (I'm going there tomorrow) if not I'm getting a tire. The only ones in stock are 70 bucks, ag or turf tamers. I don't know how much I'll be using my 1225. hopefully for snow blowing, mowing lawn maybe, my yard isn't exactly a golf corse any way. What some opinions on using ag tires on grass will it really tear it up or could I be ok.
  • MyBolens1053 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:19 PM

I've always been a fan of turf tires. In the winter Weights and chains are used with no slipping.

If they are the original Good year tires I'd tube them and be back in business. The tires they make today are crap compared to the good thick rubber tires they used to make.

I have those tubes instock if you need them, probably cheaper than TSC and you'll be back in business in 2-3 days.

• trowel and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:23 PM

It sounds like you want all season tires, as Brian stated turf tires with chains would be fine for the winter, the ags would tare up the yard.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:58 PM

I agree that there isn't anything wrong with turf tires and tubes. I use that setup on most of the rigs around here.

That said, Ryan's Ags don't tear up the yard much at all... But IMHO they aren't any better than good turfs in the winter, you still will want chains.

Do NOT buy tubes at TSC. Even if the box says they are the right size, they aren't. You will spend an extra year in Limbo just because of the words you will use trying to make those garbage tubes fit on that rim.

Get real 12" tubes. I'm sure Doc has the right size.
  • JDBrian and duct tape have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:10 PM

AGs will not tear up a lawn.

Here, let me type this s l o w l y,

A G s    W i l l    N O T    t e a r    u p    a    l a w n!

Granted, if you spin them, they will do damage, but so will turfs, and in low traction conditions, turfs will spin long before AGs will.

Even on a very wet lawn, the most they will leave is a bit of a mark/dent from the lugs, but that will soon disappear with normal weather changes.

However, for what the OP wants to do, I'd recommend turfs because with chains they will have better traction on ice and snow.

Take a look at these two pics.  It's what happens when you are in a low traction situation with turf tires.

100_4068.jpg 100_4069.jpg

The ground was really saturated, and there was no counter weight on the rear of the tractor.  It got to the really wet part and just started spinning.

I replaced those tires with a pair of REALLY aggressive ATV tires filled with Rim Guard for some extra weight on the rear.  I did that right where the tractor was sitting as I couldn't move it from where it was.  It was a wet muddy job :D :D

100_4081.jpg 100_4094.JPG

Once the new tires were on, I fired it up, and it walked out of that spot with zero wheel spin, and no damage to the grass.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 09:31 PM

I agree with old buzzard. Ags are the way to go. Lots of traction when you need it. Will not mark up your lawn any more than turfs do and will make small dents to retain water , which is good for the lawn. And they look better than turf tires. I use them on my tractors for cutting grass. Cuts down spinning your wheels time around stuff, so less time and fuel wasted. Noel.

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Read my post again.  You missed the part where I recommended that he gets TURF tires. :smilewink:

That's based on the fact that he's wanting to use his tractor for snow plowing/blowing.

Turfs with chains are superior to AGs under those conditions.

In fact I have turfs and chains on all of my "winter tractors"

100_4492.JPG 100_4351.JPG 100_4438.JPG

I was mostly just addressing the "AGs tear up your lawn" myth.

• DennyIN said thank you

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Sorry, I guess I can't read very well.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:40 AM

In the end it is personal preference to the task at hand, instead of declaring all out war let's just stick with the original question regarding the best tires for all seasons instead of weather or not ags damage the lawn.

I don't want to see this thread tun into something unnecessary.

Instead i think the next question would be what type of tread would be best for all season tires.

• Bolens 1000 and OldBuzzard have said thanks

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Instead i think the next question would be what type of tread would be best for all season tires.

I'm rather partial to Carlisle All-Trail ATV tires for general purpose work.  They're a bit more aggressive than regular turfs.  They're available in a 23x10.50-12 for most newer tractors and the 23x8.00-12 match up well to the 8.50 a lot of the older tractors came with.

These are 25x10.50-12

new rear tires (1).JPG new rear tires (2).JPG

Here are the 23x8.00-12 on a tractor that came with 8.50s

2013-6-8 (2).JPG 2013-6-8 (8).jpg

By the way.  I have ags on one of my tractors and while I haven't had any cases where they "tore up" anything, I will say that they leave fairly deep dents or depressions whenever the yard is even slightly damp which is most of the year.  And those dents don't really go away.  They don't really bother me that much but more importantly, they bother the wife.

Edited by Canawler, June 22, 2014 - 09:35 AM.

• trowel said thank you

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:52 AM

... Instead i think the next question would be what type of tread would be best for all season tires. ...

That not possible as there are just too many variables.

What is a person doing with the tractor? Just mowing, ground engaging like plow ,disc, cultivator, only snow removal, or some sort of combination? 

What terrain does the person have?  Pool table flat, slight slopes, or a mountain goats playground?

What soil type? Sandy, loamy, clay, rocky?  Good drainage, poor drainage?

For me, if I had to pick something for year round use for just mowing and snow removal, one of HDAP (aggressive turf)  or possibly R4 (industrial tread) tires would probably be the best.  Those would give better traction than turfs when my lawn is super saturated like it was in the pic above, still work well with chains in the winter, and give some what adequate traction when using ground engaging attachments.

Fortunately, I have multiple tractors, and can put the 'best' tire on a tractor for what I intend to do with it.

#12 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Due to the back of my property being the route for storm runoff I have to switch between turfs and ags,right now it's dry so I'm running turf tires but if we start getting rain on a regular basis I switch over to ag tires,I've found in soft conditions the added traction prevents spinning and also getting stuck. I'll gladly deal with some left over ag tire prints in the yard as opposed to providing entertainment for the neighbors while freeing a stuck GT from the yard! :smilewink:

• propane1 said thank you

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:59 AM

After  reading some of these posts on here I'm amazed I survived all these years with just turfs and chains!

My Uncles and cousins also have Bolens and all they use are turfs,factory weights and sometimes chains. They live out in the country with slopes and hills and many wet areas and have never had problems where you would want to purchase some ags or agressive ATV tires.

Maybe its just me liking OEM, but I just don't see the fascination with the Big ags and massive atv tires bolted on to some of these machines :toilethead:

I mean if the ground is really that wet to where you would get buried should you really be driving in that anyway?

• trowel said thank you

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Maybe its just me liking OEM, but I just don't see the fascination with the Big ags and massive atv tires bolted on to some of these machines :toilethead:
I mean if the ground is really that wet to where you would get buried should you really be driving in that anyway?

Good point with that last line. I just avoid anything where I would get stuck or really tear anything up. As for the All-Trails, I can only speak for myself but I have a slightly aggressive slope in the front yard coming off the road. With the regular chevron pattern turfs that were on the Troy-Bilt when I got it, I would spin fairly often when mowing, even with the wheel weights. The All-Trails eliminated that problem completely. Plus another factor that can't be forgotten, I like how they look.
  • trowel said thank you

#15 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 11:14 AM

I think it may be more of a case that every situation is different,in my case this is the first mowing season in years that some of my backyard has been mowed before the 4th of July due to standing water,last year on several occasions I mowed with about an inch of water standing on the ground in places,with the ags on I never spun a tire and the yard got mowed.I know it's not a good idea to mow in such conditions but sometimes you just have to get the job done. :thumbs: