Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Restored 8Hp Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller W/ Custom Dumper - $2400 (Blandford)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:46 PM

At that price i would never till with it ever again !

Attached Thumbnails

• 00G0G_aQLZXB5mAYJ_600x450.jpg

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 06:28 PM

That is the " Making my wife happy TRYING  to sell the stuff around the house " !!!!!!!!!!!! Price, when he really want to sell it he will get realistic.

• trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Jeez, and the engine is not even a Kohler at that too !

• superaben said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:16 PM

Jeez, and the engine is not even a Kohler at that too !

Exactly what I thought... a K-Series powered Troy-Bilt is THE tilling machine.

Ben W.

• trowel and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 12:37 AM

Exactly what I thought... a K-Series powered Troy-Bilt is THE tilling machine.

Ben W.

I agree the Kohler is a great engine, but the 37 year old TB Horse I have came from my Father-in-law... He bought it new with a Tecumseh engine on it--rebuilt it once; repowered with another Teccy, then a Magnum 8 hp.  That engine worked but was tired, so I repowered it with a 6.5 Predator from Harbor Freight--bolt up application other than had to make a spacer for the reversing disk as the HF engine had a 5/16" bolt in the crankshaft, where the Teccy and Kohlers had a 3/8" bolt...

I used the Predator as I got it for like $120 on a sale 3 years ago.  I was concerned how long it would last, but it has done very well, though, like every HF engine I've bought or used, the engine "hunts" --speed goes up and down like it's fuel-starved.  Doesn't do any good to adjust carbureter--just run with the choke slightly closed.

Smitty

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Nothing can be done about the hunting, it will do that until the carb it totally useless, the EPA forced all gas engine mfg to only put C.A,R.B type single screw carbs on engines along with the non adjustable crap carbs.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:06 AM

Nothing can be done about the hunting, it will do that until the carb it totally useless, the EPA forced all gas engine mfg to only put C.A,R.B type single screw carbs on engines along with the non adjustable crap carbs.

The engines probably run too lean without load to govern properly. When loaded does the governor work properly?

• trowel said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:29 AM

The engines probably run too lean without load to govern properly. When loaded does the governor work probably?

Yes, it does but the problem is not with the gov but the carb, the jet is non adjustable and made of cheap metal so wears out fast, the vent hole for the float bowl is drilled to a specific size and casted into the carb in a specific location to match the EPA regs for this country so it can not be drilled out or modified seeing as it is connected with the throttle bore of the carb, as the jets wear the seat is larger then it should be and the venture losses negative pressure to be able to draw the fuel up into the venture, under a load the engine ''sucks'' more then is needed to build the negative pressure and the throttle plate is just about wide open so the more air is being drawn across the jet seat tube changing the pressures.

After a while it no longer matters and the carb forces the engine to lean hunts no matter what, time for another engine seeing as a new carb if one can be found is valued at about 3/4 the price of the engine when new.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:56 AM

All that hunting wears out the governor linkage as well. I often see that on older engines that have had un attended carb problems for a long time. The constant hunting wears out the linkage parts. 

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:08 AM

It really does, you addressed another common problem, the plastic insert (bushing) on the throttle plate lever the gov hooks onto wears out leaving much slop. Also with the replaceable throttle plate rod bushings in the carbs which the old carbs use to have is no longer used on the new carbs allowing air to pass in behind the throttle bore plate resulting in a lean or rich hunt that never ends.

I have a slight hunt on my Briggs 23D at idle in the Squire 9 due to the throttle bushing wear allowing a slight slop letting air into the venture after the throttle plate, the gov lever is slightly egg shaped also requiring another lever or to be bored out and a bushing inserted, 50 years of hard work, hopefully it will be rectified soon if time allows.

Edited by trowel, June 22, 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:40 PM

The engines probably run too lean without load to govern properly. When loaded does the governor work properly?

It gets a little better but doesn't go away.  I think it is fuel starved... the fuel lines they use are quite small, so I thought that might be it, OR they just need a little larger jet in them.

My 13 hp Predator engine is the same way.

Smitty