#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 01:55 PM

pine trees, namely jack Pines. We have lived here for nearly 22 years and every spring we have to rake and clean the pine needles from the yard. For the last two yers we haven't been able to dao the due to health problems. This year I was feeling better and my wife could help some so we raked the side yard and put some piles of needles up to be picked up. Had about 6 piles of needles and that isn't all of them.. Need to rake some more but those will have to wait for a while. Anyway today was mowing and move the piles of needles. I knew it was way to much for the lawn carts and I figured I would have plenty of room in the 6' X 10' utility trailermiscjune2010 005.JPG well I was wrong. I didn't get a picture of it because camera is broken but the trailer has 24" sides and front and back. The trailer was piled full to the sides and about 3' high in the center and up over the sides and front and back. had it hooked to the wifes 4 wheeler and it was all that it wanted to pull. Had to hook it to the truck to back it into where we dump them. I just didn't believe there was that much. Three years ago we had a company come in and clean them up for us. I think next year for about $ 250.00 We will have them do it again in the spring. From noon to 2 pm and that was with mowing the lot. Hope you all have a good rest of the weekend. I got to get that camera fixed.......... Roger.
  • daytime dave, JD DANNELS, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 02:21 PM

I understand your problem.  Dad's house had a semi-circle of pine trees around it, about 20 or a few more total.  After his death, I cleaned the yard a few times, raking the straw took all day long, even with help from one of the Gravelys brushing it into windrows, then having both boys help load the 4x8 utility trailer.

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I cut them all down, never cared much for the white pines, hickory and spruce i like,  rather the leaves, at least it can be mulched and used in the garden.

Hard work, all those nettles, hard to get them all, rest up and have a good day tomorrow.

• hamman said thank you

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 03:31 PM

First thing I did w hen i bought this place was cut every pine tree down. then we had an awesome bon fire.

• hamman, trowel, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 04:15 PM

It could be worse. How about Gum trees?

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:59 PM

It is kind of funnythat you guys complain about the pine needles. There are not that many pines in this area annd Pine Straw is very expensive. The wife wants about that load to mulch her blueberries.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Don't have any pine trees, but can understand the pine needles every where. Cut them down, sell the wood, then burn the rest. Just my opinion, Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:33 PM

We had most of the lot cleared about 14 years ago. I like to keep a buffer between the street and the house. We live in a rural area but it is a subdivision and there is a bit of traffic on the street.These as I say are Jack Pines and they are very slow to decompose and they have have so much acid in them. My wife tried using them to much around our ruhbarb and it actually killed it. I had to get some more and replant it. We want to redo the front yards and put in sprinklers but with the pine trees we figure it would be hard to do. Just going to have to live with them for now.  JD, the wife says come and get all you want there is still more to rake up anfd there is a huge pile outback where we dump them.                                                 Roger.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have a box elm in my back yard, the only substantial tree there. only shade we have as well, the trouble is the pool is there as well and the tree sheds its leaves three times a year and grows like a weed!!!!  I want to take it down but then I have no shade!

Pete

• hamman said thank you

#10 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,875 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Fire them Roger I grew up in a rural area fire took care of everything unwanted.Good luck  Hank.

• hamman said thank you

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Maybe plant spruce trees in stead after the pine trees. Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Roger, I know what you mean.  I'm glad you got them up.

• hamman said thank you

#13 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:40 AM

I totally understand your pain... we have 10 mature pines on the lot line in our back yard.......they are a pain in my side.......needles are all over and sweeper will not pick them up ...
  • hamman said thank you

#14 SCUMMY OFFLINE  

SCUMMY
  • Member No: 10745
  • 10 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:20 AM

Whats Wrong with gum trees! lol

some will drop limbs when to dry and they burn good as well and make big bushfires

cheers

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Whats Wrong with gum trees! lol

some will drop limbs when to dry and they burn good as well and make big bushfires

cheers

Have you ever walked bare-footed on the dried gumballs?