• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rich2014 OFFLINE  

Rich2014
  • Member No: 58214
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 01:03 PM

broken drive shaft and I need to remove it from the differential.  I have removed all the bolts from the case where the drive shaft goes into it.  Now it looks like I need to remove the bolts from the frame where the differential final drive is bolted on and 4 nuts hold this in place.  The problem is those nuts just turn and do not loosen, so do I have to remove all the bolts for the final drive and  brakes to get to these bolts?  Then when I am done how do I remove the drive shaft does it come out the back or do I remove the key and pull it out the front?

Thanks for any help I can get.

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Rich, Welcome to the forum. I'm not real up on Economy but I think the driveshaft just slides on th input shaft of the diff. Do you have the Ford banjo diff or the Dana? It's usually the splined coupler that strips.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Yeah confused here on just what shaft we are talking about. The front ones just have  coupler and slide off as noted. Have to remove engine, trans and tunnel tin and the main drive outer tube to see any of it. Check for worn splines or cracked coupler. If it is the axle to the side, think once outer bull gear case is off, it opens the area with drive gear on it and believe it pulls out of rear also. If you were talking about the four bolts mounting the bull gear to frame, they are BOLTS with nuts on outside. You will have to remove the bull gear housing outers, keeping the bull gear and axle in it as you pull and you will see the bolt heads to frame then. You have to hold them with wrench and tighten outer nuts with another. Should be a washer and seal on the bolt heads to keep oil from leaking. Best to replace those seals or at least use silicone on them long as you have apart. NOW, if we are talking about the axles in bull gear case, you have to remove the case and bull gear as unit. Remove the snap rings and watch placement of spacers on the shaft in ftont and behind the bull gear as you slide that off the shaft. Once bull gear is removed, think might be another snap ring in cover holding the axle shaft in, not sure, then remove the axle and the hub as one piece from case. There are needle bearings and seals there. Might be good time to replace at least the seals. Getting the axle off the hub is nearly impossible, best to leave them on and work with them there. They require a big press to remove and even then sometimes never come off w/out breaking the hub. The axles can be serviced while the hubs are still on them.

• Rich2014 said thank you

#4 Rich2014 OFFLINE  

Rich2014
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yeah confused here on just what shaft we are talking about. The front ones just have  coupler and slide off as noted. Have to remove engine, trans and tunnel tin and the main drive outer tube to see any of it. Check for worn splines or cracked coupler. If it is the axle to the side, think once outer bull gear case is off, it opens the area with drive gear on it and believe it pulls out of rear also. If you were talking about the four bolts mounting the bull gear to frame, they are BOLTS with nuts on outside. You will have to remove the bull gear housing outers, keeping the bull gear and axle in it as you pull and you will see the bolt heads to frame then. You have to hold them with wrench and tighten outer nuts with another. Should be a washer and seal on the bolt heads to keep oil from leaking. Best to replace those seals or at least use silicone on them long as you have apart. NOW, if we are talking about the axles in bull gear case, you have to remove the case and bull gear as unit. Remove the snap rings and watch placement of spacers on the shaft in ftont and behind the bull gear as you slide that off the shaft. Once bull gear is removed, think might be another snap ring in cover holding the axle shaft in, not sure, then remove the axle and the hub as one piece from case. There are needle bearings and seals there. Might be good time to replace at least the seals. Getting the axle off the hub is nearly impossible, best to leave them on and work with them there. They require a big press to remove and even then sometimes never come off w/out breaking the hub. The axles can be serviced while the hubs are still on them.

From what I have been able to find it looked like that was my only option.  The Drive shaft broke about half way in the housing, so now when I take the differential apart of which I will have to remove the rear wheel, bearing housinng and axle (what you called the bull gear).  Once I get into the differential that takes in the drive shaft I should be able to see if I have to drive it towards the back ( I will let you know if that is right) of the tractor or push it towards the front.  As I tear it down i will check your instructions and to be sure I keep everythig in order.  Thanks again.

#5 Rich2014 OFFLINE  

Rich2014
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Rich, Welcome to the forum. I'm not real up on Economy but I think the driveshaft just slides on th input shaft of the diff. Do you have the Ford banjo diff or the Dana? It's usually the splined coupler that strips.

I am not sure as I do not have the manual for it, but from what I have been able to figure out the differential has come from the Ford.

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,722 Thanks
  • 4,282 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Rich, I'm still not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can you post a picture of the broken piece?

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:39 AM

I'm guessing it this style rear ?

Attached Thumbnails

• vintage_1952_power_king_economy_tractor_w_blade__plow_vgc_wisconsin_motor_fine_4_lgw.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: differential, driveshaft, 1955