Lifes Lessons, From The Farm.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 11:03 AM

This spring we found out my grandpa has cancer. we are still waiting for results on this and that. no one can give us a good answer on anything which is very frustrating.

Which leads to my 12yr old brother coming up here to the farm to help while grandpa is doing his treatments. Danny has had a huge learning curve that farming isn't all driving tractors and fun. Its a lot of manual labor out in the hot sun. Up until today we had all the good lessons for him. Now today up by the house was one of our cats. Tiger got caught in the sickle mower last night while we were mowing hay. We didn't notice until this morning when he was laying up by the house. back legs and tail gone. I don't know how the little guy survived the night or dragged himself up to the house. but unfortunately there was no saving him. we had to put him down. Danny is having a rough time, so is grandpa. all the cats around here are so friendly. Tiger most of all, he would ride on the tractor if we let him.

However not all is bad here on the farm, we don't only lose our animals here to accidents. Last night one of our cats had a kitten. Looks almost identical to Tiger. Danny got to witness this.

As some of us have been exposed more to the farm life, we may be a little more desensitized to life and death. Not that any one doesn't feel bad having to put down a little buddy.

So now off I go to finish mowing the rest of the hay as we only have a narrow window to get it done and 15acres left.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,192 Thanks
  • 29,682 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 11:32 AM

Yes, one does desensitize to some extent, but I too have issues when it's a pet of any kind.  Sorry to hear of this, and sorrier the poor thing suffered.  You did the right thing.

• BillTheTractorMan and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 11:43 AM

We raise chickens and turkeys here at the house, I would love to have more but money and lack of land does not permit it.  anyhow, me and the family were out back working on mama's new fish pond and Izabelle (my daughter ) sees one of the little chickens on the wrong side of the wire, they are still small enough to get thru the yard fence, she goes over to chase it thru the fence and back into the yard and does not see my two dogs there.  Generally they don't bother the chickens but they are dogs!! well as soon as the little guy tries to go thru the wire the dogs had it.  rite in front of Izabelle!  It was hard for her, she does not understand yet why the dogs killed the chicken.  All lessons on death are hard on you when you have not seen it before.                                

• BillTheTractorMan said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,221 Thanks
  • 7,451 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I can't count how many three legged farm dogs I've seen. Those sickle mowers are dangerous.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Life and death is a hard lesson to learn as a child. I never grew up on a farm but I grew up in the country. Some family had small farms. I quickly realized the animals weren't pets. Going there looking for Harold the cow a month later wasn't a good idea.

Reading Daniels life on my farm thread really opened my eyes as to how hard it was to own and operate a farm.

I'm not sure I could manage that. Farmers are a hard working group of people

Edited by toomanytoys84, June 21, 2014 - 12:38 PM.

• olcowhand and BillTheTractorMan have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,398 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 11:25 PM