• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • Member No: 48283
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi everyone. Was hoping someone could give me a little knowledge on mating the output shaft on motor to the drive shaft. I picked this tractor up a month or so ago minus the motor so I did not have the flange for the motor  or the fiberglass coupling piece. I picked them up off of epay the other day. My question is, I cannot figure out how this is all supposed to match up to the drive shaft? I have everything I need according to the schematic I found. The motor flange will bolt up just fine to the coupler but as you can see in my picture, attatching the coupler to the driveshaft flange isn't going to fly without some spacers of some sort.

http://www.jackssmal...ers/13433/10230

This is the parts diagram I am researching and it doesn't show any spacers and it looks to me like the coupler should bolt up to the driveshaft flange but it cannot because of the center piece in it. 

I am totally cornfused. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• ac 916 drive shaft.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:49 PM

That looks odd compared to the parts listing. I have a 416 I've been fooling with and may get some pics tomorrow of it's driveline for you.

• catfisherokie said thank you

#3 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:53 PM

That looks odd compared to the parts listing. I have a 416 I've been fooling with and may get some pics tomorrow of it's driveline for you.

Thanks Kenny! Yes it is odd. I do not see the snap ring in any of the parts listing either. Another challenge!

Edited by catfisherokie, June 20, 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#4 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 09:21 PM

I think I have it. Found another diagram and it appears the drive shaft is installed backwards!

http://www.jackssmal...ICITY/560/13444

Guessing I had better go over this tractor with a fine tooth comb. That's half the fun, figuring stuff out.

Not sure yet what the retaining ring is retaining.....

• KennyP said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 05:24 AM

JD uses that same sort of setup on the 314. It was either backwards or the end with the shaft protruding has been modified for some reason. Those are a nice tractor. I was seriously considering a 919 a while back but waited too long and it got scooped up by someone else. 

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I looked up the parts for the 416 and it does not have that protrusion on it. I believe you are correct in that it is backwards.

416 Drive Shaft Parts.jpeg

#7 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hey Catfish, if you need to come take a good look at one you can come up here and go over mine so you will see how all the parts fit together. :thumbs:

#8 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hey Catfish, if you need to come take a good look at one you can come up here and go over mine so you will see how all the parts fit together. :thumbs:

I may have to do that if I keep finding backwards stuff!  :shoot2: . It would be nice to just tell a few lies over a cup of coffee!

#9 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 01:45 PM

JD uses that same sort of setup on the 314. It was either backwards or the end with the shaft protruding has been modified for some reason. Those are a nice tractor. I was seriously considering a 919 a while back but waited too long and it got scooped up by someone else. 

I think it is going to make a good tractor. I am having a hard time finding a motor that will fit in the frame. I really don't want to do any cutting on it. I am picking up a 14hp Kohler tomorrow that was in a John Deere and see how that goes. I found one outfit that makes a Vanguard twin that will fit in it. It is sweet. I just don't have a spare $1400.00....lol.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I think it is going to make a good tractor. I am having a hard time finding a motor that will fit in the frame. I really don't want to do any cutting on it. I am picking up a 14hp Kohler tomorrow that was in a John Deere and see how that goes. I found one outfit that makes a Vanguard twin that will fit in it. It is sweet. I just don't have a spare $1400.00....lol.

Yeh! I hear you, spending 1500 to repower is a bit much. The Kohlers are hard to replace with a modern single cylinder engine. Those slanty cylinder designs that they are all making now offset the cylinder to one side and lower it so it is a completely different shape. If the Allis is like a JD where the engine fits between the frame rails rather than on a flat plate the new designs just won't fit. The crank on a flange mount Kohler is also low due to the oil pan being below the mounts. I know on a 314 with a K321 it's pretty difficult to fit anything else in there and still get the side covers on. A magnum would be a good choice but I can't find much in the way of older Kohlers for sale up here. Check the crank diameter on that JD engine. Sometimes they use a larger diameter shaft, maybe 30mm or 1-3/16". The PTO clutch becomes an issue if the shafts are different unless you can get the JD clutch with the engine. 

#11 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I hope the 14 from the JD works out, if so please let me know.

I thought I had found a couple of 18 Magnums in KS but the number I have says it isn't a working number.

#12 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yeh! I hear you, spending 1500 to repower is a bit much. The Kohlers are hard to replace with a modern single cylinder engine. Those slanty cylinder designs that they are all making now offset the cylinder to one side and lower it so it is a completely different shape. If the Allis is like a JD where the engine fits between the frame rails rather than on a flat plate the new designs just won't fit. The crank on a flange mount Kohler is also low due to the oil pan being below the mounts. I know on a 314 with a K321 it's pretty difficult to fit anything else in there and still get the side covers on. A magnum would be a good choice but I can't find much in the way of older Kohlers for sale up here. Check the crank diameter on that JD engine. Sometimes they use a larger diameter shaft, maybe 30mm or 1-3/16". The PTO clutch becomes an issue if the shafts are different unless you can get the JD clutch with the engine. 

Are you talking about a front PTO Brian? This tractor did not have anything with it off the front of the motor. I do have all the rear pullys and such. As far as I can tell, just the backwards driveshaft is all that hooks to the motor...

#13 catfisherokie OFFLINE  

catfisherokie
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well, I got the engine and the clutch. You were right on the money Brian, the shaft is larger. I went ahead and got it as well as a mower deck for JD. Got some good trading stuff if nothing else. 

• JDBrian said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Well, I got the engine and the clutch. You were right on the money Brian, the shaft is larger. I went ahead and got it as well as a mower deck for JD. Got some good trading stuff if nothing else. 

Sounds good. If you need any info on that clutch let me know. 

#15 ibnav8r OFFLINE  

ibnav8r
  • Member No: 59889
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 07, 2014 - 11:04 PM

I have an A/C 416 Hydro that will go slow, but try to speed up and it will kill the engine. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this? It was working fine and just started doing this while mowing the yard. The transmission reservoir is full of fluid.