11 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:40 PM

who knows what about these?

I have seen a couple of these kohlers starting to come available and am looking at one for possible replacement for an old heavy duty commercial push mower that I have... probably will get a "heavy flywheel' model from a power washer  because they don't have  blade brake...    this mower is old enough to have never had one. 

are they a decent engine? Seems a better alternative than these new "POWERMORE" engines I see in the big box stores lately that are made by who knows who  Never heard of "powermore" and would have no clue as to where to get parts for one if I had to, 

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 10:22 PM

I hope that's not the Courage XT. 

It'll be a better engine than the Chinese motors, but not by much if it is.  It takes Courage to own one, remember. 

Ben W.

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Alot of those Chinese engines use Honda parts.Block,crank,head,flywheel ext ect.Only thing that really lets them down really is the very very cheaply made carbs,starters,wiring and rather shoddy quality control.

Kohler knows that the Courage engines are complete garbage but still continues to manufacture them? Says alot about they're business doesn't it.

I have a Courage in my little shop with 139 hours on it that the nylon cam gear came apart in and whipped out the oil pump,governor and put a nice hole in the block.Replaced it with an older Kohler Command engine to get it back to the owner.He didnt want a new engine and I don't blame him.Engine was off of a rather cheaply made Husqvarna riding mower.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 02:08 PM

I hope that's not the Courage XT. 

It'll be a better engine than the Chinese motors, but not by much if it is.  It takes Courage to own one, remember. 

Ben W.

Lots of Courage. Let's disCOURAGE them! lol

• superaben and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 07:29 PM

yeah it is a courage XT that I am lookin at.   not a good choice then?   I wish I could find another  brand new  Tecumseh XL like I had on a mower years ago. 

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Alot of those Chinese engines use Honda parts.Block,crank,head,flywheel ext ect.Only thing that really lets them down really is the very very cheaply made carbs,starters,wiring and rather shoddy quality control.

Kohler knows that the Courage engines are complete garbage but still continues to manufacture them? Says alot about they're business doesn't it.

yeah and they are discontinuing parts left and right for the engines that they built their name on. THAT's what ticks me off...

It seems too many companies are building product they know is crap these days but they don't care...

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:02 PM

I'm sure it would get the job done, but longevity is not Kohler's concern on the Courage series.  In fact, that seems to be the last thing on Kohler's mind for the Courage.

If you want to repower a vertical, I'd pick up an old Briggs I/C of some sort. A lot of the cheap small riders used it, and it is an engine with all the parts still available today at very reasonable prices.  You can buy a junked rider, rebuild the I/C and come out about equal with the Courage price-wise.  You'd still be on top in the end since the old I/C will last you for many more years.

Ben W.

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 02:55 PM

I'm sure it would get the job done, but longevity is not Kohler's concern on the Courage series.  In fact, that seems to be the last thing on Kohler's mind for the Courage.

If you want to repower a vertical, I'd pick up an old Briggs I/C of some sort. A lot of the cheap small riders used it, and it is an engine with all the parts still available today at very reasonable prices.  You can buy a junked rider, rebuild the I/C and come out about equal with the Courage price-wise.  You'd still be on top in the end since the old I/C will last you for many more years.

Ben W.

a rider engine would be overkill all I need would be a 3-1/2 to 5 HP...  an old 92000 series I/C would be perfect.. or a Tec TVXL 3-1/2 to 5 HP  ya know the ones where the carbs still have mixture screws    I have had great luck with either/

on the kohler engines I asked about they don't seem that bad... ball bearings at least on crank end for starters  Briggs and Tec for these type of applications have been alum sleeve bearings forever  occasionally ( usually on the I/C and XL series) cast iron sleeves and bronze bushings even the standard versions of those engines (used to) last for years with minimal maintenance  (and even longer with maintenance being done)

#9 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Have you considered one of the Honda GCV series engines? I'll say this tho, avoid the Chinese brands or those made in China and not backed by a reputable engine company. If you need info on the GCV series engines, let me know. I can put you in touch with a Honda dealer that will treat you right.

On the small B&S, you should be able to pick up something used, easily. Used mower engines that still run well but the cheap deck fell apart. You don't need a heavy flywheel just because the mower wasn't made for a blade brake. It's easy to remove the blade brake on the Briggs if your handle isn't made for one. 

For that matter, I am have seen a few used mowers with the Honda GCV160 engines on it that I bet you could put on your mower. Good luck. 

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 25, 2014 - 05:42 PM

not a Honda fan sorry. 
I was thinking heavy flywheel for 2 reasons;  1) no blade brake and 2) I remember the old Jacobsen 321 2 cycle mowers (had a few years ago)  they had that huge disc for a blade with 4 bolt on tips, and the momentum that gave the engine  made it pretty much unkillable in heavier grass

#11 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 26, 2014 - 01:45 PM

That's ok. No offense taken. I happen to prefer Honda over most other brands, especially Tecumseh. 

not a Honda fan sorry. 

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 27, 2014 - 07:30 PM

That's ok. No offense taken. I happen to prefer Honda over most other brands, especially Tecumseh. 

I prefer the older Tecumseh's (yeah the newer ones were junk)