• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys, I haven't been on much lately between school working on things and just life I was a bit busy to make it on. I just finished my last day of school Monday and I hope I can make it on more now that I will have a lot more free time.

I will start by sharing the thing I am most excited to share, I am now certified to weld in all positions! Last year I passed my AWS D1.1 Vertical unlimited thickness; a month ago I took the overhead portion of the test and passed that as well! Along with those certifications I am getting the AWS Cents certification that is awarded upon completion of my welding class.

I decided to stop working on my Dad's F450. I got a bad HPOP and I decided to just sell it. My plan was to make it a welding truck, and even then it was way bigger then my needs. Now that I am going into the navy and not doing the welding right now a truck that large is completely unnessicary. I now have a 1996 F150 with a 5 speed and a legendary straight 6. It is a great truck and once I put a trailer brake controller in it I shouldn't have a problem pulling my car trailer. I have already pulled it with some scrap on it and it did a great job, but the brake controller is deffinetly needed.

Last summer one of the neighbors complained to the town about the state of my property. Many of you know my dad had a tire service business, and much of the inventory is at my house, as well as the cars my brothers has bought to be used in demolitions, and my tractors. Bossman Harry is very involved with the town and he was able to stop the complaint. A few weeks ago we got a letter from the town saying that things had to be picked up. I haven't talked to Harry in a while, so don't know if he didn't hear about the complaint, didn't try to stop it, or couldn't stop it but I am going to have to take a loss on the tires, sell a couple tractors, and move the cars. I don't know why this guy is doing this. He is nice in person and after the first complaint a year ago I have helped him with many things and tried to forget about it. From the road you can't see any of it, only from his backyard when the trees have no leaves... Which they do now so he can't see it.

I will be selling the '71 1614 PK, '65 Jim Dandy, and the '52 Tiger 883. I will be listing them here and Craigslist soon. If they don't sell then I will put them on eBay for auction as I need to have them gone within a couple weeks.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ryan, Congrats on the welding certification. It might be easier to just put up a privacy fence between you and the busy body neighbor. Next time he needs help, tell him you are too busy cleaning up to do it. It might not hurt to talk to an attorney about the laws in your area either. You'll find the towns like to bully people when they don't have a leg to stand on. If they can scare you into action, then they are happy. They just hope people don't tell them to stuff it. If it is zoned commercial or there was an existing business can make a difference too.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'd probably end up in jail if someone did that to me.....good thing I live an area with no zoning laws..!  That's a double edged sword though.

• Ryan313 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:41 PM

My neighbor did that to me once. Got the letter with the local "rules" listed. I WAS able to put up a 6ft fence on his side then. THEN, he actually went down to see if I had a permit for that, he didn't like it so close to his property line, even tho I was five feet back from it, just because I knew he would look at that. County said I was OK. Later when I got sick and was gonna stop all my garage stuff, I tore it all down, junked or sold the stuff anyway.  They still give me the "Look" when they drive out because I now have two trailers setting there, (all licensed of course), and sometimes some running finished tractors, including the big MM's out there. I just kinda chuckle underbreath when I see them drive by.  Best part is both now in ill health and won't be around long to complain. They did same thing to fella accross street that used to do body repair and sell cars in yard. When he moved t he young guy that came there had big garage parties all night long on week-ends and more cars around from that.

• Ryan313 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Ryan, congrats on the certification and hope the tractors find good, new homes quickly.

I know what you mean about being busy. Be sure to ask your brothers to help, since some of it is theirs.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Let's see if I've got this right.

You were too busy to bother with us because 'just life' is more important. But, your back now, but your going away to the Navy where you can't keep tractors.

You can weld in any position now, which sounds kinky unless you mean Yoga welding.

Also, you have a longtime running battle with the town. I wonder if that is why your going in the Navy.

Did I leave anything out? :D We're really just glad your back.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Congratulations on the welding certificate!  It is probably good you are thinning out the heard.  You have a 6 yr tour starting soon and even with 30 days leave you'll find that you won't have much time to deal with them.  As far as your neighbor, I would stay away from him, he is about as 2 faced as they come.  Accepts your help and then turns around and stabs you in the back.

Nice to see ya back on line.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 04:52 PM

Thanks guys, I am glad I am going to have a chance to be on more!

I planned on selling some before I left, so now I am just selling them sooner then I planned, so it's not the end of the world I guess. I dont think I am going to talk to an attorney or anything, things need to be cleaned up anyway and I don't want to cause anymore drama then there already is. Besides, by the time I figure out how to snake my way out of cleaning up, it would have just been easier to clean up!

I am not going to lie, after working on the F250 last fall, the F450 this winter and spring, my new to me F150, and helping my buddies do some work to their trucks when they needed help, tractors are not as pleasing anymore. I have realized that it was not the tractors I was drawn to, but the opportunity to work on something. Now that I have started to work on bigger and more complex things single cylinder tractor engines just don't do it for me anymore. I'm not going to just stop working on them and let them rust away or anything, but I don't think I will be buying anymore.

Aside from the trucks I listed above, I picked up a new toy for a price I couldn't refuse. I will post pictures of tht also.

• daytime dave and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Congrats on the welding certs Ryan,,, and good luck in the Navy....Sorry to hear about your nieghbor problems , I know that situation all too well,, Dad had a small construction business he ran from home and someone with nothing better to do would complain from time time to city hall !!! But they seemed to never remember who always did them favors  also!!!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thanks fer the update Ryan, keep at it! :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thanks guys, I am glad I am going to have a chance to be on more!

I planned on selling some before I left, so now I am just selling them sooner then I planned, so it's not the end of the world I guess. I dont think I am going to talk to an attorney or anything, things need to be cleaned up anyway and I don't want to cause anymore drama then there already is. Besides, by the time I figure out how to snake my way out of cleaning up, it would have just been easier to clean up!

I am not going to lie, after working on the F250 last fall, the F450 this winter and spring, my new to me F150, and helping my buddies do some work to their trucks when they needed help, tractors are not as pleasing anymore. I have realized that it was not the tractors I was drawn to, but the opportunity to work on something. Now that I have started to work on bigger and more complex things single cylinder tractor engines just don't do it for me anymore. I'm not going to just stop working on them and let them rust away or anything, but I don't think I will be buying anymore.

Aside from the trucks I listed above, I picked up a new toy for a price I couldn't refuse. I will post pictures of tht also.

Ryan, wait until you start working on the big Toy's.   :rolling:  Those trucks will seem like nothing compared to what you will be working on.  My buddy took me on a tour of the engine room on a nuke and it is quite impressive and that was over 20 years ago.

I suspect though there will be a time in your life you will return the more simpler way of doing things.

Looking forward to see what you got.  :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I have realized that it was not the tractors I was drawn to, but the opportunity to work on something. Now that I have started to work on bigger and more complex things single cylinder tractor engines just don't do it for me anymore. I'm not going to just stop working on them and let them rust away or anything, but I don't think I will be buying anymore.

It's good to hear from you Ryan.  

Realizing that you enjoy the working on things, the more complex the better, is a good sign that you are maturing.   That's a pretty good thing generally.  As you get older, you just may rediscover the enjoyment the tractors once gave you.

Congratulations on your welding certifications.  I'm sure that will make you a nice living.

Keep us posted on the Navy.