• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Since I have new shoes coming from Miller Tires, I figure I may as well sand/repaint the rims.  They are in good shape, not badly rusted, just alot of surface rust.  What rattle-can color/shade of white would y'all recommed?  I would like factory color.  Does Rustoleum have the exact color I will need, or is there a better brand?

The lugs are rusty too, is there a color for them?  Black, chrome, etc?  I'm thinking chrome would look good against the white rim..... but should probably stick to black (?).  I have short chrome stems coming, maybe the lug-bolts should be chrome also.  Yea, I think I'll do that.  While I'm at it... fresh paint.... hmmm, too many projects, might be a while.  I like original work clothes.

Thanks

#2 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'm thinking I will also fill the tires with RV anti-freeze, that or window washer fluid.  How much fluid does each tire take?  I'm thinking I've read the easiest way is to lay tire flat, break tire loose and pour the fluid in?

I will have a sno blo'r on the front for winter, so I'm thinking with that weight fluid in the front is a no-no?

Thanks

Edited by FrozenInTime, June 19, 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:41 PM

I can't help you with the colors, but my opinion is that you are heading in a good direction with the choices you mention.  Rimguard is frequently recommended on this forum as it is one of the heaviest available non-freezing fills available today.  In addition, it is safe for your rims and the rubber, though there is some mention of a valve body that is not compatible, you might want to talk to Rimguard about that.

#4 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Is your 1855 a MF or Snapper?  The Snapper's had the ivory white color wheels, while the MFs had a silver mist mettalic gray.  If you're not a purist, I personally have had much better success with the Rustoleum Professional series spray paints than I have with like the Tractor Supply paints or other 'exact' match paints.

I think the lug bolts were red?  I'm not sure I've ever seen chromed lug bolts, but they may be available. 

Rimgaurd is the best choice if it's available near you.  There's no dealer of it within a 200 mile round trip drive of me...thus I used washer fluid.

For about a 75% fill, the rears will hold 8.3 gallons, and the fronts 3 gallons each.  The Rimgaurd is about 10.7 lbs/gal vs 8 or so for washer fluid.

--Eric

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks.  I'll try to find some Rustoleum Ivory White.  I may paint the lug nuts red, or chrome, have not decided yet.  Right now they are rusty so I have to do something with them.