#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Tile Enamel Metal Porcelain cleaner. Anyone every use the stuff? We just got a case in at work to try, hoping it will work for cleaning off scuff marks on the aluminum trim on our Marker Boards and Tack Boards, and also for removing aluminum marks from the porcelain surface on the Marker Board surfaces. Let me know if any of you guys ever worked with this stuff, and how your experiences worked out. I'm wanting to buy a tub of it from my boss and try it out for shop/home surfaces, but at $10.00 a tub, I want to know if it will work on other surfaces other than what is listed in the name, before I make the purchase.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:10 AM

Troy, never heard of it. Be eager to hear how it works at work.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 smokestack76 OFFLINE  

smokestack76
  • Member No: 39328
  • 83 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 11:18 AM

They gave me a small tube of that for my new stove. Its the black smooth type burners or whatever. But gave that to us for cleaning the top. Stuff works great. Once it was gone i couldnt find it to buy more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Well I bought a tub of this stuff and played around with it tonight. Let me tell you, I like it a lot. My camera battery died, but as soon as it is done charging, I will take pictures of what I practiced on. My wife's car is a Buick Park Avenue with the chrome wheels, and lately they have been looking terrible. The brake dust was causing pits in the chrome, and looked as though rust was starting to develop. Well, with very little effort at all, I started cleaning a section of a wheel and the chrome looks like a new polished wheel. Couldn't believe how it turned out. My wife isn't real happy with me, since I only cleaned one spot on one wheel, but I was too eager to try other things, that I didn't want to spend all night out there cleaning the rest of her wheels. 

I also cleaned a spot on my aluminum truck wheels, a piece of chrome faucet cover from our old sink that has been laying out on my scrap pile for months, a piece of copper piping that was on the scrap pile, and a section of our brass plated mailbox that is very tarnished from the town smog. All pieces cleaned up very nice, so this stuff cleans many more surfaces than what is marked on the container. 

Some of you already know, but for those that don't, I like to experiment with all kinds of cleaning products, and try them out on different surfaces that they weren't originally intended for. If you want to know some of the things that I experimented with, refer to the "Things often Forgotten when starting on that Restoration" post in this "Tractor Restoration Tips and Tricks" thread. 

I'll post pictures of tonight's results as soon as I can.

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 04, 2014 - 08:57 PM.

• MH81, sacsr, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:59 PM

Never heard of it, Troy!

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 06:54 PM

Finally some pictures. Here are my aluminum truck wheels. The first two pictures are from using spray nine to clean. The third picture is after I used the TEMP: I didn't clean the whole rim, just so you guys can see the difference it made:

Miscellaneous 001.JPG Miscellaneous 002.JPG Miscellaneous 005.JPG

This is the chrome faucet cover that was cover with hard water stains, calcium deposit, and paint over-spray:

Miscellaneous 003.JPG

A piece of copper piping that has been laying on my scrap pile outside since November of 2013:

Miscellaneous 004.JPG

This is a try on enamel paint for a 140 that has been sitting out in my year for quite a while. The first picture is dull, but the second picture has a little bit more of a shine to it. I didn't try long enough, but I'm pretty sure the discoloration from the battery acid would have come off if I'd have kept on rubbing:

Untouched:

Miscellaneous 006.JPG

After:

Miscellaneous 007.JPG

My wife went to work before I could snap a picture of her chrome wheels, so those pictures will have to be another day.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 22, 2014 - 06:58 PM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I told you I'd post pictures of my wife's car wheels, and well, I forgot. So today I decided to spend the morning cleaning all four wheels of her car. I took a picture of the passenger side front, as it was the worst. Here are the results:

Before:

Wheels 003.JPG Wheels 004.JPG Wheels 005.JPG

After:

Wheels 006.JPG Wheels 007.JPG Wheels 008.JPG

I guess the only picture I forgot to take was one of the container so you can see what it looks like. Sorry. I'll try and post one tomorrow sometime.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 06:32 AM

Seems to be doing a very good job. I bet your wife is happy with the one wheel that shines like the sun and 3 that don't. :poke:

Is it looking like a miracle cleaner?

How much elbow grease does it require?

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Alan, all four wheels are cleaned. It took me around an hour and a half yesterday to get them all finished. And yes, Kathy is very happy! 

As far as a miracle cleaner, I don't know that I'd go that far yet, but I am pretty impressed with this stuff. I also used it yesterday on trying to clean up Kathy's headlights. It made them a little more clearer, but I wouldn't say it did any better than the polishing compound or toothpaste did. Just getting Kathy's wheels was worth the $10.00 spent.

As for the effort, I used very little effort at all. This stuff is a paste with a consistency of that like rubbing compound. It almost dissolved the brake dust on contact. I really like how well it works, especially on chrome. Brings back the shine without scratching the surface. As for work diagnosis, it seems that it removes some of the anodizing from the aluminum that we use, but it did however remove marks that we would never had guessed could have been removed. Worked great on the porcelain although you have to be careful on how mush pressure you use to scrub, as it will remove the porcelain surface quickly. 

Very pleased and highly recommended. I'm anxious to try it out on some aluminum heads, carbs, and a hydrostatic rear, just to see how well things buff out. Oh, and this stuff will remove rust stains. One of my son's bike had rust stains around his handlebars. Not full pitting or flaking, just rust staining. I used this stuff on it just to see if it would remove it, and sure enough, it not only removed the rust stains but brought the chrome to a brilliant shine again. Would have been perfect for removing the rust stains two years ago on that old Allis Chalmers B-112 grille supports and seat frame tubing that I was working on.

I'll get a picture of the container posted later on today. 

• MH81, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:32 AM

That wheel sure shined up good.

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 11:24 AM

That stuff looks very impressive  on those wheels...

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Come down here and see how it works on the nasty H2 wheels on the BlueOx.

I may have to hunt some down and see if it will clean them up again.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Seems like you can only buy a case of it not individual tubs.

Edited by UncleWillie, July 05, 2014 - 02:17 PM.