Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Good Trailer For Hauling Garden Tractors.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm looking for a trailer to haul garden tractors and have decided that I need a trailer that can haul two garden tractors on. What would be a good size to get I would prefer one with sides. What is best as far as hold downs go? Thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:05 PM

First you need to find the capacity of your tow vehicle. The bigger and stronger the trailer, the more uses you will find for it. I found that at my busiest I needed 4 trailers: light one to pull behing a minivan, a 5 ton for behind my C30, an enclosed tool trailer for behind my Suburban, and a homemade truck frame for hauling timber and steel beams. I usually only use the light weight now.There are alot of choices. Take your time and you may find a feebie from a friend. Good Luck, Rick

#3 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Will be towed behind a 1986 F-150. I might put 3/4 or 1 ton springs in the rear though

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:28 PM

You won't need the beefier springs for towing a trailer.  I put heavier springs on my 2007 F150 and I'm kind of sorry I did.  Hauls ANYTHING that will fit in the bed though.  Anyway, the trailer.  I have a 6 x 12 with sides and gate ramp.  I can carry up to 4 as long as the mower decks are not on them.  Generally I carry 2 and they fit quite well without a whole lot of leftover space in length.  Both tractors have the larger 16" rear tires.  This is the size that works best for me.  Consider the width of anything you would carry.  If everything you have has a 48" deck, then a 5 x 12 would probably be fine.  If you have a 5 foot deck, then you better go with 6 x 12.  You can't obviously predict the future and what you will drag home but it might be worth getting the extra foot just incase.  I added the "D" style bolt on tie downs to mine.  I mounted them where ever a steel member was and used grade 8 bolts, just to be sure.  They'll hold anything I put on the trailer with a 5000 pound limit each.  I like overkill.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:01 PM

I teetered a bit when buying myself a 'nice' trailer.  I had a 26' that I could fit a whole show exhibit on, and narrow, 5x14 that had no sides.  The one was too small, the other, always too large.

I was going to go with a 14', but went with a 7x16' tandem axle...very glad I did.  It's a bit overkill for grabbing a single tractor, but I seem to plan trips of any length to fetch much more than one item anyway.  Plus, the bigger trailer tows much nicer empty, than smaller trailers I've had.  I can drive 4 tractors straight on from the rear, with various attachments hooked up, and not have to goof around with lifting and scooting them all sideways to fit.  I can fit 2 end to end very comfortably, again, with an attachment or two.  Whenever you pack them in, and eat up all your floor space, securing the load becomes a hassle.  

Like mentioned, I also added flip up style loops down the center of the trailer, at the cross members...Love it.  Can never have too many tie down points.  now that I'm using a larger tractor primarily, for chore work, a 14' or shorter would be too short for my machine to be comfy, with FEL and 3pt tiller.

The best benefit to the trailer is the tandem axle.  I have no desire to haul with a single axle again.  The tandem feels 1000# lighter and never sways.  I have a model with dual axle brakes, so with a load on, the trailer can stop the truck if I want, and without a load, I kill the brakes completely and the trailer only weighs around 1500#.

Here's a few pics of normal loads.  The first is a trip to work a garden with a pair of Sovereign's, the second is my more recent tilling setup, and the last two, are of a load headed to a show.

20121125_120111.jpg

20140517_143427.jpg

20130815_151356.jpg

Quite honestly, If I were shopping again, today...I'd go for another 2 feet, and a front, side gate as well.  I'm considering adding one of those to my 16 footer.

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, June 19, 2014 - 02:13 PM.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:11 PM

WE had a discussion on this topic a couple weeks ago. The guys pretty much convinced me I needed no less than a 6.5 ' X 12 or 14. But then again it costs little more to go from 14-16'.
Especially since I also have a 2000 lb compact too, and am looking for a small skid loader.
I will come back with a link to that thread. it's worth reading.
HMM for some reason I can't paste in the link. It's on the off topic section page two titled Trailer How Big.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 19, 2014 - 02:18 PM.

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#7 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Here's the link http://gardentractor...ailer how big

#8 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,274 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm not old enough to drive yet but might get a vehicle soon and was looking for a trailer so I could haul my garden tractors around when the time comes.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Get a small car hauler size. One of best ones is type that also has the side entrance ramp for on front. Can drive the tractor up the side and no juggling around to try to turn sideways. Landscaper trailers usually have that so they can get mowers off quick and is compact to haul. Dual axles with one brake at least is reccommended. License cost more, depending on the wieght it is rated. I have a 6 x 10, got it to clear big wide decks, but wish it was a little longer. Mine is dovetailed last 18" and now after having, wish I had just gotten the flat deck. It has the big flip-up gate on back, which is OK.  My other trailer is 18ft, but is rated 12,000 lbs, because I was hauling bigger tractors and hey get big fast. It is 80" wide between the fenders, so that still becomes issue at times being too narrow for big tractors. It has the big iron flip up ramps, sometimes OK, many times in way. I had to make a center one to match for tractors with small narrow fronts, and was needed also for garden tractors, which wouldn't reach the dual ramps, even tho they slide and adjust some. I also like some sides on mine, smaller stuff won't roll off with out tying down then. I also have many more added D-rings and some on sides. Never seems like enough, and they never seem to be in right places anyway, ha! I even had some rings out on tongue section on a trailer once, got a lot of uses from those.  Just a big rear-end U-bolt from track can be layed against a heavy metal frame part and welded on sticking up some for the chains and straps to grab. Had a car hauler like that that I made and had those on outside and down center rails too, as it was an open center on that one. DON"T have an open center trailer tho. I at first thought would be good to see the frames and places to tie-down from underneath, but many tiems wish it was a full bed for many other things. I DID make an insert from wood to set in that place for hauling things, but was PIA to remove if I wanted to. Watch for better tongues, don't get too light there, they will bend if not the A-frame type as example. A single big 4 x 4 tongue is not that good. A trailer jack at front is must, should come on most trailers. If not, buy a heavier one than what most trailers come with. They are also easy to break, specially the wheeled kind.

Edited by glgrumpy, June 19, 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#10 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Depending on how many you need to haul, 1-2; 10'-12', 4-5; 16'.

I use my 4 x 8' Snowco for one tractor:  HPIM0546.JPG

6-1/2 x 10' for up to three:   HPIM1133 (640x477).jpg

For tie-downs, this one is the best, rub rails & heavy expanded metal floor.  I can hook straps anywhere!

While the 16' handles up to five:   HPIM2784 (640x478).jpg

Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, June 19, 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,120 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Mine is 6 1/2 wide x 12. Works good. I like the 6 1/2 feet side because it gives a little extra room to put two beside each other, with out decks. Or the 12 feet is good for two with decks, one behind each other. Mine is a tandem with electric brakes. I haul my 1951 ferguson farm tractor on it with my 2005 ford ranger. Ford power, Noel

The trailer is a , Load Trail.

Edited by propane1, June 19, 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Quite honestly, If I were shopping again, today...I'd go for another 2 feet, and a front, side gate as well.  I'm considering adding one of those to my 16 footer.

I've heard from a number of people that the front side gate is something you should stay away from.  Said that the trailer pulls lousy with that gate on.  I can see where it would be a benefit but I think I would stay away from it myself.  I've never had one myself, just going by what I heard.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 06:54 AM

I have a 7X16 tandem and can't haul 2 FF's side by side on it. Thankful for the extra length!

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 12:07 PM

I've heard from a number of people that the front side gate is something you should stay away from.  Said that the trailer pulls lousy with that gate on.  I can see where it would be a benefit but I think I would stay away from it myself.  I've never had one myself, just going by what I heard.

Any gate I would consider pops right off.  My rear gate does, and I love it...it's on for local jaunts only.  It's like pulling a parachute on long drives.  The side gates have an awful small profile, I can't imagine they would catch much crosswind, and wouldn't catch anything but negligible headwind.  I guess I need to try it! :thumbs:

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:18 PM

What's your budget? These guys will be talking lowboys soon if you don't reign them in.
  • Gtractor said thank you